• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Warriors and the Pelicans Series, 2014-15

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game reminded me more of the Dubs from a season ago. The bench was so weak a year ago, with no proven scorers. The starters would dominate, only to see the lead dwindle with the second team in there.

Livingston is the vet. He needs to come in, slow the game down, and get guys open looks. He failed miserably. Maybe Kerr will give Speights more minutes in game 2, since he and Livingston play well together. The problem, of course, is that neither Speights nor Lee can guard anybody.

Hopefully a cleaner game in game 2. At times today it looked as if the Pelicans would lose by 30. Damn shocked to be biting my nails during the last three minutes.

Perhaps this game will motivate the Dubs to play hard for 4 quarters. if they do, the Pelicans will not be able to stay with them. Can't wait to watch it.
As for Livingston, he has his value. he is a guaranteed mismatch down low for anyone who is guarding him. The game certainly does slow down when he's in there though.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps this game will motivate the Dubs to play hard for 4 quarters. if they do, the Pelicans will not be able to stay with them. Can't wait to watch it.
As for Livingston, he has his value. he is a guaranteed mismatch down low for anyone who is guarding him. The game certainly does slow down when he's in there though.
Livingston was great this year.

The Ws were amped in the first quarter. We have to remember that with a few exceptions, the Warriors are a fairly inexperienced playoff team as well. So I counted on Livingston coming in and calming everything down. Didn't happen today.

The Pelicans are playing with a lot of intensity and confidence right now. They had to down the stretch just to get into the playoffs! The Warriors have been coasting for several weeks.

Game two will tell us a lot. If the Warriors don't blow them out, I'll be nervous about their postseason chances.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, I'm not so worried about it, Colin. I'm just loving the season they had, the way they play together and the joy they are bringing the fans. The only thing that would disappoint me is if they don't get out of the first round and I am very confident that won't happen.
The West is so stacked that if they lost in a subsequent round it would not be a huge disappointment. they are going to play some very tough teams on the way to the conference finals and anthing could happen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors have a hard time "closing out" teams because Curry normally sits out the first 6 minutes or so of the 4th quarter. It was embarrassing to me that they had to put him back in last night with 9:30 left to go. Curry's plus/minus is extremely high and for this reason and because his playing time for almost every game (other than when he doesn't even play in the 3rd quarter) is almost the same every game (full 1st and 3rd quarters, and he comes in with about 6 minutes left in the 2nd and 4th quarters), this is what leads to us losing whatever lead we have at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Lee was hurt (back) last night and Speights barely played. I don't even think Speights took a shot, which has to be a record.

I think that if they start to foul AI9 consistently that his FT% will rise. His 60% FT % this year is, I believe, a career low. For his career, he shoots 72%.

Someone needs to tell Bogut not to fall backwards when he shoots his FTs.

N.O. is a very young team with a lot of energy and a star player in Davis. We're gonna to get by them in this series either 4-0 or 4-1.

N.O. doubled Curry off of the pick at the top of the key, which has shown to be the best defense to use on GS this year. It hurt Curry's 3-pt shooting, which ignites the Dubs in many games.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
N.O. doubled Curry off of the pick at the top of the key, which has shown to be the best defense to use on GS this year. It hurt Curry's 3-pt shooting, which ignites the Dubs in many games.

If teams want to continue double teaming Steph....than all that means is someone else who can hurt them will be open...as has been the case this entire season....so basically their opponents have a choice on which poison they want to go with that does them in.....lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet if you look at our losses, though, it's to the teams who doubled Curry, generally speaking. I have more confidence in Curry's ability to shoot or to properly work the pick and roll as opposed to the other 4 guys scoring as often on their own.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors had a pretty rough go of it with the second unit. There were a few problems that I saw, that are definitely correctable:

1) Shaun Livingston played terrible. He was just flat out bad, on both sides of the ball. He'll need to step it up for us to have any shot at a deep run.
2) Barbosa missed 3 wide open layups. Just smoked them. No real contest on the shot and they're ones we've seen him make all year.
3) When Klay plays with the second unit, he's going to need to produce. Kerr is staggering between Klay and Curry to have one of them on the court at all times. He's going to need to do better than 6-17.

I expect the Warriors to come out tonight and make the necessary corrections for a more fluid game from the entire team. I would expect a couple of defensive adjustments, especially with news that Draymond rolled his ankle a bit in the first game. It wasn't enough to take him out, but enough to bother him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good comments, CS. I almost clicked onto the "like" (thumbs up) icon.

I expect a more thorough 4 quarters tonight from the team. As I said earlier, it was embarrassing that Curry had to come in early on in the 4th quarter. The team can't be back and forth so much with them doing really well (getting good leads) when Curry is in, and then giving back much of the lead when he sits. While it's nice that Livingston can post up smaller players because of his size, people can totally lay off of him if he's got the ball from 3-pt range. There are very few guards who you can just give wide open 3-pointers to who won't take the shot. I think Livingston has shot 1 3-pointer all year, and that was probably just because the time or game clock was going off. I'm not advocating that he shoot them....it's just a negative that he simply does not have that shot. He's just as soon be Bogut out there from 25 feet.

How's that for a rant?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good comments, CS. I almost clicked onto the "like" (thumbs up) icon.

I expect a more thorough 4 quarters tonight from the team. As I said earlier, it was embarrassing that Curry had to come in early on in the 4th quarter. The team can't be back and forth so much with them doing really well (getting good leads) when Curry is in, and then giving back much of the lead when he sits. While it's nice that Livingston can post up smaller players because of his size, people can totally lay off of him if he's got the ball from 3-pt range. There are very few guards who you can just give wide open 3-pointers to who won't take the shot. I think Livingston has shot 1 3-pointer all year, and that was probably just because the time or game clock was going off. I'm not advocating that he shoot them....it's just a negative that he simply does not have that shot. He's just as soon be Bogut out there from 25 feet.

How's that for a rant?

The Livingston deal really was made to look worse because of Klay not shooting well. The Warriors went small using HB at the 4. With him, Iguodala and Klay out there you have 3 guys who can stretch the floor. Iguodala was 2-6 and Klay was 6-17. Offensively Livingston was stagnant in the offense. Defensively he was a step slow while guarding on the ball.

I expect a much better game from Shaun today.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors had a pretty rough go of it with the second unit. There were a few problems that I saw, that are definitely correctable:

1) Shaun Livingston played terrible. He was just flat out bad, on both sides of the ball. He'll need to step it up for us to have any shot at a deep run.
2) Barbosa missed 3 wide open layups. Just smoked them. No real contest on the shot and they're ones we've seen him make all year.
3) When Klay plays with the second unit, he's going to need to produce. Kerr is staggering between Klay and Curry to have one of them on the court at all times. He's going to need to do better than 6-17.

I expect the Warriors to come out tonight and make the necessary corrections for a more fluid game from the entire team. I would expect a couple of defensive adjustments, especially with news that Draymond rolled his ankle a bit in the first game. It wasn't enough to take him out, but enough to bother him.

Nailed it.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night was a complete reversal of the first game. The Bench got it done last night, while the starters struggled for most of the game. KillaKlay came out last night in the 4th which was huge for us. Bogut and Dray did a great job on defense too.

We have a couple days off before the next game, so I'm hoping the Warriors are able to rest up and come out hungry in game 3. Don't let the Pelicans get any real momentum. Push the pace early and get easy transition buckets. The Pelicans have been playing defense pretty well so far in the series.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but there will definitely be a game 5 back in Oakland. Winning these 2 games by 7 and 10 points at what has been the league's best home court advantage means that they won't win one or maybe both of the games in N.O. We really have no solution for Davis, though Green played him better than Bogut. Thank God for Klaybo last night, and surely for the second team, especially Barbosa in the first half.

We have to stop leaving Eric Gordon wide open so much. He's a knock down 3-point shooter, especially when he's left wide open.

N.O. beat both the Warriors and S.A. at home near the end of the season. They're pretty good, even if they did just make the playoffs. Davis is VERY hard to shoot over, though Curry managed it twice...and it wasn't because he jumped high. Anyone who has Davis on them better either give a pump fake or else pass it to someone else.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but there will definitely be a game 5 back in Oakland. Winning these 2 games by 7 and 10 points at what has been the league's best home court advantage means that they won't win one or maybe both of the games in N.O. We really have no solution for Davis, though Green played him better than Bogut. Thank God for Klaybo last night, and surely for the second team, especially Barbosa in the first half.

We have to stop leaving Eric Gordon wide open so much. He's a knock down 3-point shooter, especially when he's left wide open.

N.O. beat both the Warriors and S.A. at home near the end of the season. They're pretty good, even if they did just make the playoffs. Davis is VERY hard to shoot over, though Curry managed it twice...and it wasn't because he jumped high. Anyone who has Davis on them better either give a pump fake or else pass it to someone else.

I actually see it differently from you (shocker, I know). The Warriors have played well below their capabilities and have a 2-0 lead against the Pelicans. Steph is 7-22 from 3. Draymond is playing on a hobbled ankle and still doing a great job on one of the top 5 most unguardable players in the NBA. HB and Andre have been relatively quiet and haven't made a big impact yet. Klay was off the first game. Steph was off the second game. Livingston and Barbosa were off the first game, and played better the second.

The Warriors biggest issue so far has actually been a stagnant offense. The defense has been superb so far, with some minor exceptions here or there. The Warriors have a 2-0 lead based on their defense. Just imagine when they get both phases clicking.

Not discounting the Pelicans. They're a good young team, but inexperience is showing from both the players and the coaching staff. How they played AD 45+ minutes last night was insane. So far defense has been the factor in this series and will continue to be. Pelicans may steal a game, but I think game 3 is where the Warriors will finally make their mark that they're here to play.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not particularly unimpressed with GS. Just pretty much impressed with the Pels. Curry's shooting hasn't been great from 3-pt range because of the double-teaming they're doing on him at the top of the key. If the Warriors do well in the series, those other 4 guys are going to have to score consistently, though I know Curry is going to somehow "get his."

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 things I want to see from game 3:

1) Warriors come out with a ton of energy and execute well from the opening tip. The Pelicans fans are going to be into the game seeing as they haven't had a playoff game there in a while. It'll be a much easier task to control the game if they get out ahead early.

2) Perimeter defense is going to be a key. They have a few guys who can light it up. If I'm the Pelicans, my adjustment would be to run an inside out game with AD and have him find the open spot up shooters. Draymond has been playing him well straight up so far, which really helps in not having to double AD on every possession. Gordon/Anderson/Pondexter will have to be held in check from the perimeter.

3) Push the pace. The Pelicans are not nearly as deep as the Warriors and we'll need to get their heavy minute guys tired. We saw the effect it can have on a star player like AD. Also will help to get some easy transition buckets.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Davis really needs to pass the ball if he's being guarded by one man. With about anyone who guards him, he's got a mismatch.

This is going to be a close game and the Pels have a better chance of winning this game than their second home game on April 25.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what's everyone's pick for tonight's game? While I've been praising the Pels thus far in the series, I can't go against the Dubs in a close one...106-100.

Anyone want to pick the game for tonight? Bragging rights are on the line. (that ought to get this thread going)

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
110-97 Warriors.

Predictions:
Warriors score 30+ in the first quarter.
Curry and Klay score 22+ each.
Draymond gets double double.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still pickin' the Dubs in 5. Hopefully 4, but more likely 5. Afraid to make a pick tonight. if the Dubs come out flat, they'll get rolled. If they get off to a quick start they'll win a close one.