• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Walker Waived

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THe Gagne trade was all about dumping a 5 million dollar player who stated he wanted to test free agency, is injury prone, and on the downside of his career. Walker's contract is big for him, but still gives the FLyers flexibility, and they can easily afford him in the minors. Gagne would never have been waived. I didn't like the trade either. But it is hard to argue with the results on both sides. The FLyers are top in the league. Gagne has just now started to show glimpses. And Walker will be a great call up come playoff time for depth.

Exactly! And getting rid of Gagne helped clear the way for Meszaros coming to Philly. Looking back it worked out great for Philly.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hurricanes are 8th in the East in winning percentage, aka in the playoffs if they had played the same number of games as Atlanta. No way they sell unless the Flyers make an offer they can't refuse.

Don't forget that Cole will be an UFA after the season. They might be worried about losing him for nothing once the season ends.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be true but I'm sure they'd like to know they have room for a trade if a good one pops up. I wouldn't mind a guy like Brunette as he can score when you really need one and Glencross is a nice young player as well who can kill penalties....you can never have enough money faceoff guys either so Reasoner wouldn't be a bad guy. I feel bad for Nodl but he may be the guy who gets upgraded.

Or Nodl goes to the 4th line and some one else gets bumped.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I recall, when he is sent down he has to clear waivers and any team can pick him up for his current salary and we get nothing in return. If we call him back up before the playoffs he has to clear waivers and any team can claim him and we get nothing and only pay half his salary and each team gets half the cap hit for the remainder of the season. Once the playoffs start they do not have to clear waivers and can be called up directly. As mentioned above if they need another defenseman they can probably call up Syvret or Gustavson without needing them to clear waivers. Once the playoffs start you will probably see Walker up as no waiver required and I think cap is irrelevant in the playoffs. I also think this move is not in regards to a Leino extension, as that contract won't kick in till next year, therefore won't affect this year's cap. I think it is just giving maneuvering room to make a deal if one comes up and the potential to slip him through waivers while everyone is at the all-star game.

K that would be great news as they'd have Walker for the playoffs then...they don't need him right now anyway so keep him warmed up in the minors for now.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well, it looks like he cleared waivers, so i assume we can hide him down there until the playoffs.....i think ha

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true then there's a little question mark as to if he'd clear recall waivers since he'd be at half price for the team that claims him. It would have to be a team that wanted to get back at Philly but do they take that chance or trade for a cheaper guy to fill that role? Hard to say....but I'm ok with Bartulis he's come in and played fine plus has more experience now.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets put on re-entry waivers after the trade deadline, he would be ineligible for the playoffs for any team except the Flyers. The worst that could happen is a team claims him just so the Flyers' can't use him, and that just means we have $1.7M more to work with next year.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets put on re-entry waivers after the trade deadline, he would be ineligible for the playoffs for any team except the Flyers. The worst that could happen is a team claims him just so the Flyers' can't use him, and that just means we have $1.7M more to work with next year.

Ya I doubt that someone would claim him when they know he could only play for them next season...he's not that valuable of a player. I just love the fact that if the Flyers get into injury trouble he can step in and hold the fort on the 3rd pairing better than Parent did!