• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wait are they gonna finally do it??

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A policy like that makes sense to the fans, but I think the MLB owners and the MLBPA would both oppose it. I think the two sides are in agreement on PEDS - that being that PEDs are good for revenue. They just have to create the perception that they are trying to discourage PED use.

I disagree, I think owners (primarily these new type of GM’s) would love to be able to get out of contracts like Cano’s. Just take a look at Cruz, luckily for the Rangers he was in a walk year when he got busted but the Orioles got a massive steal with him contract wise, then essentially all last seasons free agency. The MLBPA wouldn’t ever allow it though.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the four guys mentioned in the Yankee proposal:
Andujar - Forget it. No way we will get him.
Gray - psychologically damaged. Don't want to trade our orgs best pitcher for a reclamation project
Greg Bird - he is no longer a prospect. He is what he is and that would be a downgrade from Healy who wasn't all that good himself.
Clint Frazier - With Span gone, Ben Gamel becomes #1 on the LF depth chart. Frazier has hit MLB right-handed pitching for a lofty .213 BA which makes him useless in 70% of the games. He will not give us an upgrade from Ben Gamel
Analysis: fuck this trade idea.

Phillie proposal:
Herrerra is the centerpiece here. Unfortunately, he is trending in the wrong direction. While his power is up, his run scoring, OBP, and base stealing are dropping. While he would be an upgrade over Gamel, the upgrade is not that much.
Haseley - potential here but he won't see the Ms roster before the second half of 2020, so, I don't know.
Irvin - I like what I read about this guy. When a kid that young can have an ERA that low in AAA without an over-powering fastball, then he alrady knows the difference between throwing and pitching.
Analysis: not great, but far better than the Yankees' cast of has beens and never will bes.

They really need to get a decent catching prospect in any package for Paxton. So find a trade partner with a good young pitcher similar to Irvin and a (very) above average catching prospect that is ready for MLB next year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know, I’m digging the Cubs fans wanting Paxton and Colome for Bryant.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray - psychologically damaged. Don't want to trade our orgs best pitcher for a reclamation project
Greg Bird - he is no longer a prospect. He is what he is and that would be a downgrade from Healy who wasn't all that good himself.
Clint Frazier - With Span gone, Ben Gamel becomes #1 on the LF depth chart. Frazier has hit MLB right-handed pitching for a lofty .213 BA which makes him useless in 70% of the games. He will not give us an upgrade from Ben Gamel

Phillie proposal:
Herrerra is the centerpiece here. Unfortunately, he is trending in the wrong direction. While his power is up, his run scoring, OBP, and base stealing are dropping. While he would be an upgrade over Gamel, the upgrade is not that much.
Haseley - potential here but he won't see the Ms roster before the second half of 2020, so, I don't know.
Irvin - I like what I read about this guy. When a kid that young can have an ERA that low in AAA without an over-powering fastball, then he alrady knows the difference between throwing and pitching.
Analysis: not great, but far better than the Yankees' cast of has beens and never will bes.

They really need to get a decent catching prospect in any package for Paxton. So find a trade partner with a good young pitcher similar to Irvin and a (very) above average catching prospect that is ready for MLB next year.

I really don't see a deal to be made with the Yankees. The top 3 choices that I would want at least one included in are all mentioned as no's. Frazier to me looks like another overvalued Yankee prospect. Not a fan of his. Bird is what we usually get and then deal away later. I get the Gray as a buy now, trade in July type player so that doesn't bother me.

I still like the Dodger deal that I posted earlier.

Not big on Phils deal unless more big league ready players involved including their top catching prospect.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know, I’m digging the Cubs fans wanting Paxton and Colome for Bryant.

It would be fun watching Bryant play for the next two years before being traded away. Of course he plays as much as Paxton does.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phillie proposal:

Just read this from a Yankee site:

Most people don’t want to part with a Miguel Andujar, Gleyber Torres, Justus Sheffield, or Chance Adams. But if two of those four (preferably Andujar and Adams) can net you a proven American League pitcher with two more years of control, it seems worth it. For every prospect list that has Adams near the top, he still comes with a lot of question marks, mainly a lack of showing command. That’s a pretty big question mark. Adams was a college pitcher, if he was truly a top of the rotation piece, he would have been in the rotation this year, four years after being drafted.

(UPDATE, 4:51 p.m. ET: Sounds like Estevan Florial is now a bat in the mix as well as Albert Abreu a pitcher the Mariners are interested in per Dan Federico)

Estevan Florial | Rank: 2 (Preseason: 2)
Team: Tampa Tarpons (A Adv)ETA: 2020Position: OFAge: 20 DOB: 11/25/1997Bats: L Throws: RHeight: 6' 1" Weight: 185 lb.Signed: March 19, 2015 - NYYOther Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#45)
Watch
Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 70 | Arm: 65 | Field: 60 | Overall: 55

Florial assumed the identity of Haniel de Oleo when registering for school in the Dominican Republic, then emerged as one of the top prospects for the 2014-15 international signing period. When MLB discovered the discrepancy, it barred him from signing for one year and he landed with the Yankees in March 2015 after producing a Haitian birth certificate with a slightly different birthdate. His $200,000 bonus -- a fraction of what he would have commanded without the controversy -- looks like a bargain because he has the best all-around tools in New York's deep system.

Florial has three tools that grade as well above average in his raw power, speed and arm strength. With the quickness and loft in his left-handed stroke, he's built to do a lot of damage at Yankee Stadium. The only question he has to answer is whether he can tone down his aggressive approach and make consistent contact after posting a 31 percent strikeout rate last season and a 36 percent mark in the Arizona Fall League. He lost some needed at-bats and development time when he had surgery on his right hamate in mid-May, a procedure that kept him out until July.

While his swing-and-miss issues mean there's a wide gap between his ceiling and floor, Florial doesn't have to hit for high average to help a team win. He's as raw on the bases as he is at the plate, but his double-plus speed could make him a 30-30 player if he adds the necessary polish. While he's still learning in center field as well, he should be able to stick there and his arm is a weapon anywhere in the outfield.

Albert Abreu | Rank: 4 (Preseason: 5)
Team: Trenton Thunder (AA)ETA: 2019Position: RHPAge: 23 DOB: 09/26/1995Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 2" Weight: 175 lb.Signed: Aug. 5, 2013 - HOUOther Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#85)
Watch

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Gary Sanchez's development made Brian McCann redundant on the Yankees, so they sent McCann to the Astros for right-handers Abreu and Jorge Guzman in November 2016. While McCann helped Houston win the 2017 World Series, New York has no complaints with the deal because Abreu shows the upside of a frontline starter and Guzman became the headline prospect in the Giancarlo Stanton trade with the Marlins. Signed for $185,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2013, Abreu has missed time with a shoulder strain, appendectomy and elbow inflammation the last two years but has impressed when he has taken the mound.

When Abreu is at his best, he exhibits command of three pitches that all grade as plus or better. His fastball usually runs from 93-98 mph, tops out in the triple digits and features sink and run that generate both swings and misses as well as weak ground-ball contact. His power breaking ball looks like a curveball at times and a slider at others, more often the former, and he also can miss bats with his fading changeup.

Abreu has a bit of a short-arm delivery that adds deception, making him all the more difficult to hit. His walk rate dropped from 4.5 per nine innings in three years in the Astros system to 3.0 in his first with the Yankees, quieting talk that he might be destined for the bullpen. He still needs more consistency with his secondary pitches and his command but made encouraging progress in those areas last year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read this from a Yankee site:

Most people don’t want to part with a Miguel Andujar, Gleyber Torres, Justus Sheffield, or Chance Adams. But if two of those four (preferably Andujar and Adams) can net you a proven American League pitcher with two more years of control, it seems worth it. For every prospect list that has Adams near the top, he still comes with a lot of question marks, mainly a lack of showing command. That’s a pretty big question mark. Adams was a college pitcher, if he was truly a top of the rotation piece, he would have been in the rotation this year, four years after being drafted.

(UPDATE, 4:51 p.m. ET: Sounds like Estevan Florial is now a bat in the mix as well as Albert Abreu a pitcher the Mariners are interested in per Dan Federico)

Estevan Florial | Rank: 2 (Preseason: 2)
Team: Tampa Tarpons (A Adv)ETA: 2020Position: OFAge: 20 DOB: 11/25/1997Bats: L Throws: RHeight: 6' 1" Weight: 185 lb.Signed: March 19, 2015 - NYYOther Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#45)
Watch
Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 70 | Arm: 65 | Field: 60 | Overall: 55

Florial assumed the identity of Haniel de Oleo when registering for school in the Dominican Republic, then emerged as one of the top prospects for the 2014-15 international signing period. When MLB discovered the discrepancy, it barred him from signing for one year and he landed with the Yankees in March 2015 after producing a Haitian birth certificate with a slightly different birthdate. His $200,000 bonus -- a fraction of what he would have commanded without the controversy -- looks like a bargain because he has the best all-around tools in New York's deep system.

Florial has three tools that grade as well above average in his raw power, speed and arm strength. With the quickness and loft in his left-handed stroke, he's built to do a lot of damage at Yankee Stadium. The only question he has to answer is whether he can tone down his aggressive approach and make consistent contact after posting a 31 percent strikeout rate last season and a 36 percent mark in the Arizona Fall League. He lost some needed at-bats and development time when he had surgery on his right hamate in mid-May, a procedure that kept him out until July.

While his swing-and-miss issues mean there's a wide gap between his ceiling and floor, Florial doesn't have to hit for high average to help a team win. He's as raw on the bases as he is at the plate, but his double-plus speed could make him a 30-30 player if he adds the necessary polish. While he's still learning in center field as well, he should be able to stick there and his arm is a weapon anywhere in the outfield.

Albert Abreu | Rank: 4 (Preseason: 5)
Team: Trenton Thunder (AA)ETA: 2019Position: RHPAge: 23 DOB: 09/26/1995Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 2" Weight: 175 lb.Signed: Aug. 5, 2013 - HOUOther Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#85)
Watch

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Gary Sanchez's development made Brian McCann redundant on the Yankees, so they sent McCann to the Astros for right-handers Abreu and Jorge Guzman in November 2016. While McCann helped Houston win the 2017 World Series, New York has no complaints with the deal because Abreu shows the upside of a frontline starter and Guzman became the headline prospect in the Giancarlo Stanton trade with the Marlins. Signed for $185,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2013, Abreu has missed time with a shoulder strain, appendectomy and elbow inflammation the last two years but has impressed when he has taken the mound.

When Abreu is at his best, he exhibits command of three pitches that all grade as plus or better. His fastball usually runs from 93-98 mph, tops out in the triple digits and features sink and run that generate both swings and misses as well as weak ground-ball contact. His power breaking ball looks like a curveball at times and a slider at others, more often the former, and he also can miss bats with his fading changeup.

Abreu has a bit of a short-arm delivery that adds deception, making him all the more difficult to hit. His walk rate dropped from 4.5 per nine innings in three years in the Astros system to 3.0 in his first with the Yankees, quieting talk that he might be destined for the bullpen. He still needs more consistency with his secondary pitches and his command but made encouraging progress in those areas last year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be fun watching Bryant play for the next two years before being traded away. Of course he plays as much as Paxton does.

It would, but Jerry and Co’s analytics would say Seager plays against righties and Bryant only plays against lefties. I know everyone disagrees with me on the L/R split I just think it is a fudged up stat.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros looking for starting pitching. They have the young talent to give up in a Paxton deal. I would trade him there in a big overpay.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros are one of the clubs talking to the Mariners about a trade for James Paxton.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we could get rid of Seager I'd be all for getting Austin Riley for a re-boot 3B. He's young, 21 yrs. His 2018 minors stats look pretty decent: 408 AB's with 19 HR's and a .294 avg., but the down side was 129 K's. Still, he looks good overall. The 2 pitchers, Wright (starter) and Weigel (reliever) I'm not too awful impressed with though. Who knows :noidea:

Bottom line is it's gonna be awhile before we can compete with the big boys- Bo Sox and the Stros- and throw NY in there too...maybe

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is it's gonna be awhile before we can compete with the big boys- Bo Sox and the Stros- and throw NY in there too...maybe

Here is my issue with that belief, when will we ever be ready to contend with those teams. It is unlikely Boston and NY will ever be average. We have been anything but average or below for about 36 of 41 seasons. I don't care what our record shows, we have been average or below since 2001. It just seems ownership (whoever they are and will be) will ever try to contend by going the extra mile so we have to rely on luck. You might as well just go young every single year from here on out and hope you get lucky one time.

Please get me a team in Portland.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd enjoy watching him bat 6th behind Seagar:heh:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my issue with that belief, when will we ever be ready to contend with those teams. It is unlikely Boston and NY will ever be average. We have been anything but average or below for about 36 of 41 seasons. I don't care what our record shows, we have been average or below since 2001. It just seems ownership (whoever they are and will be) will ever try to contend by going the extra mile so we have to rely on luck. You might as well just go young every single year from here on out and hope you get lucky one time.

Please get me a team in Portland.

Get a rivalry in place and perhaps management will care about winning. One of the reason why Boston and New York will never be mediocre very long is due to their rivalry and by getting a team in Portland will change all of that for baseball in the PNW but the issue is there is no need for an expansion.

Being tucked up here in PNW with no other teams in place with a management that does not care about winning will create a losing culture. Same thing happened to the Seahawks until PGA took over, but they win because of an owner and management who cares. Same for the Sounders do so well each year since they joined the MLS is due to the rivalries between Vancouver and Portland. The M's needs an ownership group that will want to create a winning culture, despite lacking rivalries.

Overall, bottom line is, if you have no rivalries in place, you have to create your own winning culture starting from ownership and management. And if you do have rivalries in place, you still need management who cares but it's probably a lot easier to establish winning cultures. i.e. Boston/New York.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic suggested Cano would make sense to be traded back to the Yankees for Jacoby Ellsbury, who has $47 million to go. That suggestion has been made before, and Cano presumably wouldn’t mind a return to the Yankees. Ellsbury had been reluctant to accept trades elsewhere in the past, but he hails from Oregon and wouldn’t seem to have much playing time available in the Bronx, so maybe he’d accept Seattle. It is believed he was amenable to the Giants last winter, though they showed no interest, as it turned out.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a rivalry in place and perhaps management will care about winning. One of the reason why Boston and New York will never be mediocre very long is due to their rivalry and by getting a team in Portland will change all of that for baseball in the PNW but the issue is there is no need for an expansion.

Being tucked up here in PNW with no other teams in place with a management that does not care about winning will create a losing culture. Same thing happened to the Seahawks until PGA took over, but they win because of an owner and management who cares. Same for the Sounders do so well each year since they joined the MLS is due to the rivalries between Vancouver and Portland. The M's needs an ownership group that will want to create a winning culture, despite lacking rivalries.

Overall, bottom line is, if you have no rivalries in place, you have to create your own winning culture starting from ownership and management. And if you do have rivalries in place, you still need management who cares but it's probably a lot easier to establish winning cultures. i.e. Boston/New York.

MLB says Padres are our rivals...