• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Von Miller's Option

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, there are (as I see them) three possibilities for how Denver handles Von Miller in the next couple weeks, and onward:

1) Denver exercises the 5th year option on Von Miller for $9.75 MM by May 3rd.

2) Denver declines, but secures Miller over the long term before the regular season.

3) Denver declines, and waits to see what Miller does during the 2014 season before offering long term contract.

So, what do you see happening? The 5th year option for the most part is team friendly, but is also guaranteed against injury. It fully guarantees the first day of the 2015 season.

In case you missed it, The Post has already chimed in on this one:

Von Miller likely to have fifth-year option picked up by Broncos - The Denver Post

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick up the option, see how this season goes. We can always franchise tag him in 2015.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Broncos I would go ahead and exercise the 5th year option. It offers the best protection for the Broncos say he does get suspended for a year. Yes the injury concern is there but until his ACL injury (which really wasn't too bad) he hadn't really been much of an injury concern. Really the price they would be securing him under would be far less than what they would have to offer in a long term deal.

Throw in if the Broncos really want to make sure to see how Von Miller handles himself for the next couple of years they can exercise the 5th year option, then franchise him twice. This would give them well essentially starting this year 4 straight years of what most would consider 1-year prove it contracts. This forces Miller to stay on the straight and arrow and doesn't make the Broncos have to worry about big time fall out if he does get suspended long term.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Prove it" contracts. I like it. I like it a lot!

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Broncos I would go ahead and exercise the 5th year option. It offers the best protection for the Broncos say he does get suspended for a year. Yes the injury concern is there but until his ACL injury (which really wasn't too bad) he hadn't really been much of an injury concern. Really the price they would be securing him under would be far less than what they would have to offer in a long term deal.

Throw in if the Broncos really want to make sure to see how Von Miller handles himself for the next couple of years they can exercise the 5th year option, then franchise him twice. This would give them well essentially starting this year 4 straight years of what most would consider 1-year prove it contracts. This forces Miller to stay on the straight and arrow and doesn't make the Broncos have to worry about big time fall out if he does get suspended long term.

Here's the cost breakdown for those contracts, should the Broncos take this route (All fully guaranteed, and all count fully against the salary cap):

2015 (5th year option): $9.75 MM
2016 (Franchise Tag): estimate about $13 MM (Extrapolating future-wise based on this year's $11.5 MM value)
2017 (2nd Franchise Tag): estimate $15.6 MM (Would be 120% OF 2016 salary)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is he would be making right around that $13 million a year anyway if we did try to sign him to a long term contract. That is what Clay Matthews just signed for and Von Miller is a lot better player on the field with less health concerns than Matthews at this point. My guess is also by 2017 that $15.6 million won't be that bad of a deal considering how much the Cap is going up each year.

Now I'm not saying we have to do 4 straight years of deals like this. I could see giving him the 5th year option then maybe franchising him once. As 2 years should be enough to see if he is going to behave himself and maybe use the 3rd year (1st franchise tag) just for good measure if needed.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the only thing that made sense. The franchise tag would have been more if I remember right and if he gets suspended they don't have to pay him. Only reason they would pay him would be because of injury but that is a risk every team takes every year with players.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That takes care of one of our potential FAs after this season. Good move.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the only thing that made sense. The franchise tag would have been more if I remember right and if he gets suspended they don't have to pay him. Only reason they would pay him would be because of injury but that is a risk every team takes every year with players.

The good thing here is it's guaranteed only in case of injury. Any more suspensions and the contract can go bye-bye. And I do hope the stories about him in Dallas with a plastic Owl are innocuous, and that he's riding the straight and narrow from here on out.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing here is it's guaranteed only in case of injury. Any more suspensions and the contract can go bye-bye. And I do hope the stories about him in Dallas with a plastic Owl are innocuous, and that he's riding the straight and narrow from here on out.

What stories are those?