• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech Hoops vs DA U 2/9 9pm; BC 2/12 6pm; FSU 7pm

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's my point. In HS, he had the ball in his hands a lot. Even if he didn't make a play, he set up other guys. Now he is forced to play down low and set screens since he is the 4 in Greenberg's offense. He does get the ball up top from time to time and makes a play but most of his offensive touches comes from offensive rebounds and putbacks.

I could be totally off, but from some reason I think that's the most likely besides Barksdale or Joey VanZengren. I hope Barksdale does not leave. He seems like he's a high motor guy that's an off season away from being strong enough to play and defend in the low post for extended minutes.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by CJB. He has some pretty good post moves, rebounds pretty well, and runs the floor well. Also a good FT shooter. I think he could be a very good PF for us.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all of the freshman are very talented and have loads of potential. Also surprised at the hate for Robert Brown. I think he has done a pretty good job this year especially when you compare him to the other freshman. When theyre seniors, if they are cohesive, they could make a good tourney run.

But we still need an actual big man!

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been very pleasantly surprised by CJB. He has some pretty good post moves, rebounds pretty well, and runs the floor well. Also a good FT shooter. I think he could be a very good PF for us.

i have very high hopes for barksdale. hopefully he can grow enough to be able to play the 5 position. i feel like in 2 years we could be very good.

rankin--eddie--DFS--harrell--barksdale with raines rotating. that would be a lot of interior strength. harrell will be a beast. he already has D-1 type weight (225 at 6'7")

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about DFS. I know he's a freshman and I know he'll grow and get better, but he just does not have any scoring instincts. I find it even more shocking that he played point in high school since he doesn't seem comfortable with the ball in his hands. People will say "Oh look at eric green. He didn't used to be good", but they are two different players. Eric was a good guard who couldn't shoot at all and he clearly worked his ass off to become a great shooter. Unless DFS can work on his shot or develop post moves (and thus develop an offensive skill), he will continue to be nothing more than a rebounder.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not gonna lie, i did too.

In my defense, Logan looked like he lacked the ability to hit a receiver in stride or really throw an accurate pass at all. I was under the assumption that a player couldn't learn to do this overnight. Fortunately for us, Logan somehow did.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about DFS. I know he's a freshman and I know he'll grow and get better, but he just does not have any scoring instincts. I find it even more shocking that he played point in high school since he doesn't seem comfortable with the ball in his hands.
Huh? Dude is third in the assists on the team behind Erick Green and Robert Brown so he obviously handles the ball well (Brown, Hudson and Finney Smith are close in assists.) He has a nice handle and can get by his man on the dribble. The problem comes is when he gets to the basket. In HS, he was tall enough where he could probably just lay it up and not have to go up strong. In college, he has had problems finishing strong. He has gotten better and I have seen him getting his own shot this way from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finney Smith also has a pretty good 3 point shot (34.6%.) However, he really needs to work on his pull up jumper and his defense. I don't think I've seen him make a pull up jumper yet. On D, he either gets pushed around or beat on trouble.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Dude is third in the assists on the team behind Erick Green and Robert Brown so he obviously handles the ball well (Brown, Hudson and Finney Smith are close in assists.) He has a nice handle and can get by his man on the dribble. The problem comes is when he gets to the basket. In HS, he was tall enough where he could probably just lay it up and not have to go up strong. In college, he has had problems finishing strong. He has gotten better and I have seen him getting his own shot this way from time to time.

Third on the team in assists is deceiving when he only averages 1.9 per game. Also, a lot of those assists came early in the season against the scrubs. I will say that he is starting to shoot the ball a little better; wayyy better than he did during that drought.

My thing is that in college basketball, players come to college for one year, dominate, then leave. It is completely different than football in that the best freshman is better than the best junior/senior. I'm not saying he sucks, but for someone rated in the top 20, I was not thinking we would get a skinnier version of Jeff Allen.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is completely different than football in that the best freshman is better than the best junior/senior. I'm not saying he sucks, but for someone rated in the top 20, I was not thinking we would get a skinnier version of Jeff Allen.
We are not going to recruit a underclassmen NBA lottery pick anytime soon. Also, recruiting rankings are often based on potential and the raw attributes. You don't know how well some attributes will translate. I feel like we are using DFS the wrong way. I think we should let him have a few possessions the game where he has the ball in his hands.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not going to recruit a underclassmen NBA lottery pick anytime soon. Also, recruiting rankings are often based on potential and the raw attributes. You don't know how well some attributes will translate. I feel like we are using DFS the wrong way. I think we should let him have a few possessions the game where he has the ball in his hands.

Use him how the Lakers used Lamar Odom. They actually have a similar skill set though Odom is much bigger. Both are lanky enough to play the 4, but are much more comfortable on the perimeter making plays with the ball in their hand.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Use him how the Lakers used Lamar Odom. They actually have a similar skill set though Odom is much bigger. Both are lanky enough to play the 4, but are much more comfortable on the perimeter making plays with the ball in their hand.

I have envisioned DFS becoming a Luol Deng type player for us. But he needs to work on his moves to the basket.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all of the freshman are very talented and have loads of potential. Also surprised at the hate for Robert Brown. I think he has done a pretty good job this year especially when you compare him to the other freshman. When theyre seniors, if they are cohesive, they could make a good tourney run.

But we still need an actual big man!

agreed, completely

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ehh. College basketball recruiting has more talent involved in the rankings. Basketball is not like football where a big fast guy can just become great. You have to have some inherent abilities if you ever want to get to a special level.

I agree that we are using him poorly, but will that ever change under Greenberg? I wouldn't bet on it. And to be effective in the 4, DFS has to have some post moves, and at this point, Zo's post game is better than Dodo's.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be effective in the 4, DFS has to have some post moves, and at this point, Zo's post game is better than Dodo's.

DFS isn't a 4.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DFS isn't a 4.

I know; other people were alluding to it. If he wants to see the court as much as possible, though, he might have to play the 4. Eddie plays the 3 and he is much better suited to play that position given his skill set than DFS. Also, with a traditionally short team like VT, a 6'8 player with long arms should probably play at the 4 or 5.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie plays the 3 and he is much better suited to play that position given his skill set than DFS.

DFS is a better passer, rebounder, and ball handler than Jarelle. If he continues to shoot better, I would rather have DFS on the floor than Eddie.

Also, with a traditionally short team like VT, a 6'8" player with long arms should probably play at the 4 or 5.

That's on Seth. There is no reason why we should have a 6'7" or 6'8" kid playing the 4 or 5 if we want to be competitive in the ACC.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DFS is a better passer, rebounder, and ball handler than Jarelle. If he continues to shoot better, I would rather have DFS on the floor than Eddie.

That's on Seth. There is no reason why we should have a 6'7" or 6'8" kid playing the 4 or 5 if we want to be competitive in the ACC.

A 3 should be competitive on the boards and be able to shoot well/make their own shots. You don't need your 3 to dribble the ball if you have good point guards. That being said, if your small forward can beat players off the dribble, that is definitely a bonus. However, there is a difference between being able to handle the ball and being able to beat guys off the dribble. DFS can dribble, but not blow by a guy and score a layup. He does not have the explosiveness, mentality, or physicality. Those are all things that can be improved upon, though, and I hope he can take that step.

Being 6'8" is perfectly big enough to play 4 or 5. You just need to weight 220+.