• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vincent Jackson expected to hit open market

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Chargers would have to pay Vincent Jackson a lot of money to use the franchise tag on him — more than $13 million.

That’s why he’s expected to hit the open market, and he’s not expected to stay in San Diego.

“I don’t see any way he’s back [in San Diego]. The Chargers won’t franchise him, they’ve come out and said that,” Jason La Canfora said on NFL Network. “There’s been acrimony between the two sides over the years and there are too many teams that need receiving help, St. Louis, San Francisco and Tampa are some teams off the top of my head. Somebody is going to give him big bucks.”

Kevin Acee of the U-T San Diego reported last month the Chargers would be “comfortable” giving Jackson a long-term deal, but they are unlikely to use the tag on him.

We don’t think you can rule out a return to the Chargers, but Jackson has waited a long time and fought a few battles to get to this point. He only has to wait another month, so he may as well see what free agency has to offer.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 mil? that's cash, a lot of cash....

damn, like to see how much Colston will ask for.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jackson>Colston. Especially in terms of what we need. We need a guy who can get the long ball even if it's miss-thrown and also the endzone target that Braylon was supposed to be.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 mil? that's cash, a lot of cash....

damn, like to see how much Colston will ask for.

13 isn't what he'd get per on the open market. That is just the cost for the Chargers if they tag him because they have already used the tag in the past on him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson>Colston. Especially in terms of what we need. We need a guy who can get the long ball even if it's miss-thrown and also the endzone target that Braylon was supposed to be.

Colston doesn't do that?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 isn't what he'd get per on the open market. That is just the cost for the Chargers if they tag him because they have already used the tag in the past on him.

Wouldn't his deal be something similar though?

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmes is making $7.75M in 2012. He signed a 5 year deal worth $45M last year. Are Vincent Jackson or Colston > than Holmes? If so, then both might ask for more than what Santonio is making. What type of money do you guys think both will command in FA?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't his deal be something similar though?

No. That is why they aren't tagging him again. The cost of the tag for them is now too high since they used it last season. Holmes is making 9 mill per. I think discussions take place a little bit above that. 5 yrs 50 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather look at Jackson than Colston imo, I thnk Jackson fits better in more types of offenes,

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. That is why they aren't tagging him again. The cost of the tag for them is now too high since they used it last season. Holmes is making 9 mill per. I think discussions take place a little bit above that. 5 yrs 50 million.

Ray_Dogg, would you sign Vincent Jackson to a 5 year deal @ 50 mill?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe. I just don't think we can afford either one. We will see though what Baalke and his staff decides to do with our cap space. I think most of it will go to re-signs and draft picks though. Whatever we land on the open market will be similar to last year in that it's not a headliner.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray_Dogg, would you sign Vincent Jackson to a 5 year deal @ 50 mill?

Yes but I really don't see how we can afford it. We barely have enough space to sign all our free agents and rookie class. We are gonna need fancy structuring and home team discounts.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is going to be asking for a lot of money. He's been bitching about it the past few years now. DeSean and Colston will probably do the same. Baalke isn't a guy who seems like he's willing to beak the bank for one of these guys. I could see him going after Early Doucet, Garcon, or Wayne if they come at a decent price. If not he drafts a WR with the first over all pick. The last player we broke the bank for was Justin Smith. I just don't see it happening.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garçon is who I think we go after in all honesty.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think Vincent Jackson, Bowe, and Desean Jackson, at the right price, are the only FA WRs worth going after when free agency opens up.

A guy like Garcon, you might as well just draft a couple of WRs.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be more than ok with that. I'd really like for us to go after Bowe, but i think we could get Garcon at a better price.

Could we get Wallace for a 1st since he is a RFA?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would rather keep the first and go for colston. we need a move the chains type wr. vernon is capable of stretching the field. with all the big play wr's i think colston will get lost in the shuffle, giving us a chance to pick him up at a decent contract.