• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vince Young Trying Out for Packers?

Jedster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read this.....what is everyone's thoughts? I am leaning more towards him being a headcase....but you never know....

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only thing he would offer this team is the ability to practice against the read option...

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was TT I'd be more worried about LT right now than the back up qb spot. Although without a good LT we need a better quality back up cause Rodgers is going to get hit a lot again.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least we do have a guy on the roster with experience at that position. Its alot better than playing a rookie...

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least we do have a guy on the roster with experience at that position. Its alot better than playing a rookie...

Wrong - our last first-time starters (Matt Flynn, Aaron Rodgers) developed in-house (like Brunell, Detmer, and all the others who went on to be NFL starters) proved that draft-and-develop is better and far cheaper than picking up a has-been. You already know a veteran cast-off is a failure, but you don't know yet regarding the young guys. Hopefully this was some weird ploy to put the heat on the quarterback battles behind Rodgers.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like it. Think he would be a better backup than Harrell who hasn't shown any signs of progression and Coleman so far hasn't proven he is ready to be a backup. Young gets a second chance and his last chance on a team that has great coaches, less pressure from fans/media, and as mentioned he can help our defense in practice with the read option.

If he becomes a head case you can cut him easily

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong - our last first-time starters (Matt Flynn, Aaron Rodgers) developed in-house (like Brunell, Detmer, and all the others who went on to be NFL starters) proved that draft-and-develop is better and far cheaper than picking up a has-been. You already know a veteran cast-off is a failure, but you don't know yet regarding the young guys. Hopefully this was some weird ploy to put the heat on the quarterback battles behind Rodgers.

It didn't prove anything.

In that time, basically since Thompson came in, name the veteran cast-offs that were even given an opportunity to win the backup spot. I don't recall a single one. To have "proved" that, a cast-off would have had to have failed. All it shows is that we've been successful developing QB's.

Is Harrell going to be Flynn/Rodgers, or is he going to be Ingle Martin/Brian Brohm? Flynn and Rodgers had actually shown something in the preseason at some point. Harrell has not. I personally haven't felt comfortable with him as the backup, and neither nor Coleman filled me with confidence Saturday night.

For the record, Doug Pederson was a cast-off and a known failure...and he stuck around for a long time here as a backup. Young would be a veteran minimum insurance policy. I would have more confidence in him than Harrell at this point.

We could do a lot worse than Young as a backup. JaMarcus Russell, for example, as was repeatedly suggested on the other boards...

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newhouse isn't nearly as bad as he was. This run game we were going to build is what I'm worried about now.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I meant for LT...

I wrote this thinking it was on the Bulaga thread

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Titans fan who, like Jeff Fisher, never bought into the hype surrounding VY. He capitalized off the NC game and cost us drafting the asshole kid out of Vandy who never smiles but has a better arm than Elway who we probably would have gone to the SB with.

That said, I'm utterly shocked that not a single NFL team thinks VY is worthy of a roster spot. VY was never a bad guy, just clinically retarded and unable to handle sustained mental pressure. I'd think that any team who wants to motivate their starter would be delighted to have VY in camp exerting pressure and competing.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't prove anything.

In that time, basically since Thompson came in, name the veteran cast-offs that were even given an opportunity to win the backup spot. I don't recall a single one. To have "proved" that, a cast-off would have had to have failed. All it shows is that we've been successful developing QB's.

Is Harrell going to be Flynn/Rodgers, or is he going to be Ingle Martin/Brian Brohm? Flynn and Rodgers had actually shown something in the preseason at some point. Harrell has not. I personally haven't felt comfortable with him as the backup, and neither nor Coleman filled me with confidence Saturday night.

For the record, Doug Pederson was a cast-off and a known failure...and he stuck around for a long time here as a backup. Young would be a veteran minimum insurance policy. I would have more confidence in him than Harrell at this point.

We could do a lot worse than Young as a backup. JaMarcus Russell, for example, as was repeatedly suggested on the other boards...

What are you talking about? Rodgers and Flynn also looked very poor in preseason and only showed their mettle when they had to go into a live-battle regular season game. We never once relied on Doug Pederson, he could have been a complete and utter failure but he never had to start a game, so we'll never know (my vote: failure). Rodgers almost won that Dallas game for us after we were down due to a bumbling starter, and that was with a broken foot; until then, no one thought we had anything in Rodgers, in fact there was a bit of a "schism" even after that game when our starter (can't recall his name) retired/unretired and we moved on, remember that ruckus? And Flynn nearly beat the best team in the NFL on the road, reestablishing the team's confidence and helping propel them to the Super Bowl. The next year, he won a regular season game, breaking all-time Packer records.

We already know these veteran cast-offs are no good, they've actually proven this on the field. The team's philosophy and real-world results show that developing in-house youngsters is the way to go, period. I hear the same story every single year, ever since Pederson dropped off his clip board. It's tiresome, and you'd think after all this time fans would have learned something, but I guess not...

Jedster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However you try to spin this, it's obvious that the Packer organization is lacking confidence in the two backups we have now.....and, frankly, so am I. Is VY the answer?....probably not....but IMO it's too little too late in this stage of the game. We just gotta hope that Rodgers doesn't get hurt....period.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BQ68ZxvCYAAfjec.jpg

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything in the pic clear except his face. Glad I'm wrong. I don't think he deserves to be blackballed.