• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Victor Cruz: “I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Victor Cruz: “I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point” | ProFootballTalk

Last year, Victor Cruz earned $450,000. In return, the Giants received a franchise record for receiving yardage, with 1,536 yards.

Next year, Cruz is due to make $490,000. He believes he should get more.

Appearing on a special non-live edition of PFT Live, Cruz talked about winning the Vizio Top Value Performer Award, which goes to the NFL player who does the most for the least money. I told Victor that, several weeks ago, finalist Matt Forte said he’d prefer not to be nominated for the award, because it means he’s underpaid. So I asked Victor if he thinks he’s underpaid.

“I think I was paid, you know, relative to where I came in this year and, you know, I came in as a free agent so that’s the salary I was on, so I don’t feel like I was underpaid,” Cruz said. “I mean, I feel like after my performance this year, you know, I feel like I deserve to be paid more money at this point. But that’s something I’ll let my agents and those people take care of and I’ll just go out there and play the game.”

He’s right. And he has every right to speak his mind. Undrafted and strapped in 2010 with a three-year deal that pays minimum base salaries, he has now earned much more than that.

That doesn’t mean he’s destined to become a diva. I’ve interviewed him multiple times now, and Cruz seems like a kid who genuinely appreciates what has happened, understands how he got here, and won’t forget where he came from. But the Giants need to reward him for what he’s done, and for what they’ll undoubtedly be expecting him to do — especially if the team lets Mario Manningham leave via free agency.

What a dick....lol

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In all fairness, no Cruz, no Superbowl. Can you really say he deserves less money than Crabtree?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz is absolutely right on this one. He did say that he deserved the pay he got this year based on where he came in but after the season he had his season, theres no way he shouldn't get a huge extension. Without him, I don't know that they even make he playoffs let alone win the superbowl. He was absolutely dominating this season.

It would be a crime if Forte doesn't get his money either. This guy is the heart and soul f the Bears.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's made more plays than Crabtree, certainly(although, both only had one TD in the playoffs). But for the Giants Superbowl, one can say a lot of things, if it weren't for....

But damn, Cruz already thinking money.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserves it at least. I thought he was their top receiver and at the least their most dangerous. The Giants don't even make the playoffs without him.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone of us were in his shoes, would you ask for more money? Giants would not have advanced to the Super Bowl without Cruz. If I were him, I would definitely ask for more money.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How would you like it if you found out your co-workers made 10x more money than you even though they are worse than you?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that he had a great year...but why don't you put up some numbers for a few years before you start demanding shit. The sense of entitlement by some of these guys so early on is crazy. As a sign of faith bump him up a little bit, but I wouldn't give him big money after one great year.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserves it at least. I thought he was their top receiver and at the least their most dangerous. The Giants don't even make the playoffs without him.

100% agreed!

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If i was the GM i'd be like let see what you do this year before we talk big money

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that he had a great year...but why don't you put up some numbers for a few years before you start demanding shit. The sense of entitlement by some of these guys so early on is crazy. As a sign of faith bump him up a little bit, but I wouldn't give him big money after one great year.

You're right Tall. He needs to show that last season was not an aberration. Instead of making over just over $400K next season, how about bumping his salary to $1M next season. That's a nice raise.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right Tall. He needs to show that last season was not an aberration. Instead of making over just over $400K next season, how about bumping his salary to $1M next season. That's a nice raise.

That's what I was thinking. Just bump him up and then if he keeps it up, hell yeah pay the man. I am all for getting more money if you outplay a contract, but prove you aren't a one year wonder first.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz deserves a big raise- no question. It would be interesting to see him play without Nicks on the other side, but a lot of Cruz's yards were YAC which shows the effort is there. Great route-runner too.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz deserves a big raise- no question. It would be interesting to see him play without Nicks on the other side, but a lot of Cruz's yards were YAC which shows the effort is there. Great route-runner too.

Exactly, his YAC were huge for that team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cruz completely outplayed his contract this year and, as such, should feel like he's entitled to more next year. Other than Eli, I don't think there was a more important player on that offense. I have no problem with him asking for more. Now, the question is what will the Giants do? They have an opportunity to pay him a good salary, but perhaps less than market value, so that he'll make more next year than he otherwise would. If they believe that this year was not an aberration, then they should sign him to a longterm contract extension now. If they wait and he puts up these kinds of numbers again, then hits FA, they're either going to have to risk losing him or drive the Brinks truck up to his house.

Though now that I think about it, he may only hit RFA after next year, and then they could probably franchise him for a season.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz completely outplayed his contract this year and, as such, should feel like he's entitled to more next year. Other than Eli, I don't think there was a more important player on that offense. I have no problem with him asking for more. Now, the question is what will the Giants do? They have an opportunity to pay him a good salary, but perhaps less than market value, so that he'll make more next year than he otherwise would. If they believe that this year was not an aberration, then they should sign him to a longterm contract extension now. If they wait and he puts up these kinds of numbers again, then hits FA, they're either going to have to risk losing him or drive the Brinks truck up to his house.

Though now that I think about it, he may only hit RFA after next year, and then they could probably franchise him for a season.

I agree asking for more money is fine, but if he starts demanding... I wouldn't do it just yet. I also see what you are saying about locking him up now before he does this again costing way more than you could have gotten him for.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Victor Cruz has probably been asked to do his salsa routine 474 times since he won the Super Bowl. And he’s probably been glad to do it every time.

Cruz wouldn’t have been dancing, however, if he lost the game.

Florio had Cruz on PFT Live Thursday and asked about Rob Gronkowski’s post-game dance moves.

“I would have been in my room, watching TV, soaking in the moment,” Cruz said. “It’s not every day you make it to a Super Bowl, man. . . . Some guys play 15, 16 years in this league and don’t make it the Super Bowl. Or even the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. . . . I probably wouldn’t have been partying too much after that.”

Cruz: I wouldn’t have partied if we lost | ProFootballTalk

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Victor Cruz has probably been asked to do his salsa routine 474 times since he won the Super Bowl. And he’s probably been glad to do it every time.

Cruz wouldn’t have been dancing, however, if he lost the game.

Florio had Cruz on PFT Live Thursday and asked about Rob Gronkowski’s post-game dance moves.

“I would have been in my room, watching TV, soaking in the moment,” Cruz said. “It’s not every day you make it to a Super Bowl, man. . . . Some guys play 15, 16 years in this league and don’t make it the Super Bowl. Or even the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. . . . I probably wouldn’t have been partying too much after that.”

Cruz: I wouldn’t have partied if we lost | ProFootballTalk

Some guys sit in the room and cry... other guys go party shirtless then rage hump a p0rn star.