• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vehicle won't start. What do you check first?

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you have a bucket truck?
Buddy was moving and sold it to me cheap. Used it to paint the columns on my house and to trim some branches. It does come in handy. When it starts.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're on the right track. A squirt of starter fluid will get it to kick if there is spark present, if that doesn't get it to at least fire up for a few seconds you have a spark issue.

Do you have a friend that knows how to check a spark plug wire for juice?
Thanks. I'll check the wires next. Being a V8, I thought it would still fire up if one wire was bad, but I'm not extremely experienced.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're on the right track. A squirt of starter fluid will get it to kick if there is spark present, if that doesn't get it to at least fire up for a few seconds you have a spark issue.

Do you have a friend that knows how to check a spark plug wire for juice?

I can do THAT myself!

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WhimsicalEvergreenAidi-max-1mb.gif

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I'll check the wires next. Being a V8, I thought it would still fire up if one wire was bad, but I'm not extremely experienced.

It would likely run (rough) on 7 cylinders.

Go easy on the ether (starter fluid), that shit is volatile as hell and and too much could damage the motor................ or you :scared:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make sure the screwdriver has a rubber handle :dhd:

Nah, jest holdit witha rag (can't tell you how many family members I have seen doing just this very thing)

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would likely run (rough) on 7 cylinders.

Go easy on the ether (starter fluid), that shit is volatile as hell and and too much could damage the motor................ or you :scared:

Don't listen to Rex, he's full of shit. Dump the whole fucking can in the carb and crank it over.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How long did you crank it?
I am not a fan of ether on an old engine.

Remove the breather cover and look down inside the carb while you have a buddy push the gas pedal to the floor. You should be able to see a spray off gas in the carb and smell the fuel.
It's probably old and the floats may have dried up a bit keep cranking and pumping the gas.
You may need to hook up jumper cables to crank it enough.
If you do see smell gas, it may be flooded...? Push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and crank it over.

If you cannot confirm any gas at that point, give it a squirt of starter fluid and see if it starts up or at least tries to.
Sometimes this can be enough to prime the bowls full of fuel to get/keep it running.
If it stumbling after you are feed it SF, it may be bad gas, week fuel pump, old fuel filter or a combination.

If it is doing nothing but cranking after confirming fuel flow and or SF, pull a spark plug wire, stick a rubber handled screw driver in the boot and hold it close to the exhaust manifold while a buddy cranks it over. Hold it very close and on whichever side (driver or passenger) is not in direct sunlight. You should see blue spark arcing between the screwdriver and exhaust manifold. If not try another plug wire. Still nothing...try the coil wire which is the one feeding the center of the distributor. If you have spark there, replace cap, rotor, wires, plugs. If no spark there replace the coil as a start.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check the blinker fluid level.