• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vance Mcdonald-6'4/267

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Don't know if anyone posted ths about Vance McDonald or not. From Yahoo:

Before the draft, many NFL observers believed Stanford tight end Zach Ertz would be a perfect fit for the 49ers.

Niners head coach Jim Harbaugh recruited Ertz when he was at Stanford, and Ertz was a productive tight end for the Cardinal who was ranked by many as the first or second best player at his position.

When the 49ers traded out of their No. 2 spot in the second round to move seven spots lower, however, they lost out on their chance to select Ertz, who quickly was grabbed by the Eagles. When San Francisco’s turn came around at the end of Round 2 (after taking defensive lineman Tank Carradine), the Niners chose Rice tight end Vance McDonald, a player most 49ers fans had never heard of.

To former Cowboys executive and current NFL.com anayst Gil Brandt, however, the Niners made a smart move. McDonald is better than Ertz, he says.

I love Vance McDonald,” Brandt told Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. “This is an excellent athlete. He’s big and he’s fast and I thought he was the second-best tight end out there.

With the departure of free-agent Delanie Walker this offseason, the Niners were in need of a tight end to fill his role, which was highly diversified. Walker was used as a blocker, a tight end in two-tight end sets, a backup to starter Vernon Davis, a wide receiver and as an extra back in the backfield.

Brandt believes McDonald will be just as versatile.

“He’ll be able to do all the things Walker did for them,” Brandt told Branch. “I’m excited to watch him develop.”

McDonald is 6-foot-4 and 267 pounds, with long arms (34 3/8 inches, second longest among draft-eligible tight ends) and big hands who caught 43 passes his junior year and had 36 catches as a senior (while missing three games). His pre-draft scouting report labeled him as a smooth receiver, fluid runner and excellent route runner out of the slot, which is where Walker often was used. He’s fast and strong, having done an excellent 31 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the NFL Combine.

San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke told reporters after Day 2 of the draft that McDonald has the ability “to line up all over the place.”

Yahoo Sports’ Michael Silver reported McDonald was the tight end the 49ers wanted all along, over Ertz
, and could give San Francisco even more offensive options.

Silver wrote it’s a move “that could allow San Francisco to feature a Patriots-style, two-tight-end passing circus” in conjunction with Davis.

McDonald had 115 catches at Rice, which ranks No. 6 all time at the school, with 15 TD catches. He was all-Conference USA as a senior.

McDonald told the Houston Chronicle that he was ecstatic to be going to the NFC champion 49ers.

“Champions, you couldn’t imagine going into a better place,” he said. He added that when head coach Jim Harbaugh called him after his selection, Harbaugh told him “you’re the perfect fit here” because of his versatility

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't know if anyone posted ths about Vance McDonald or not. From Yahoo:

Before the draft, many NFL observers believed Stanford tight end Zach Ertz would be a perfect fit for the 49ers.

Niners head coach Jim Harbaugh recruited Ertz when he was at Stanford, and Ertz was a productive tight end for the Cardinal who was ranked by many as the first or second best player at his position.

When the 49ers traded out of their No. 2 spot in the second round to move seven spots lower, however, they lost out on their chance to select Ertz, who quickly was grabbed by the Eagles. When San Francisco’s turn came around at the end of Round 2 (after taking defensive lineman Tank Carradine), the Niners chose Rice tight end Vance McDonald, a player most 49ers fans had never heard of.

To former Cowboys executive and current NFL.com anayst Gil Brandt, however, the Niners made a smart move. McDonald is better than Ertz, he says.

I love Vance McDonald,” Brandt told Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. “This is an excellent athlete. He’s big and he’s fast and I thought he was the second-best tight end out there.

With the departure of free-agent Delanie Walker this offseason, the Niners were in need of a tight end to fill his role, which was highly diversified. Walker was used as a blocker, a tight end in two-tight end sets, a backup to starter Vernon Davis, a wide receiver and as an extra back in the backfield.

Brandt believes McDonald will be just as versatile.

“He’ll be able to do all the things Walker did for them,” Brandt told Branch. “I’m excited to watch him develop.”

McDonald is 6-foot-4 and 267 pounds, with long arms (34 3/8 inches, second longest among draft-eligible tight ends) and big hands who caught 43 passes his junior year and had 36 catches as a senior (while missing three games). His pre-draft scouting report labeled him as a smooth receiver, fluid runner and excellent route runner out of the slot, which is where Walker often was used. He’s fast and strong, having done an excellent 31 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the NFL Combine.

San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke told reporters after Day 2 of the draft that McDonald has the ability “to line up all over the place.”

Yahoo Sports’ Michael Silver reported McDonald was the tight end the 49ers wanted all along, over Ertz
, and could give San Francisco even more offensive options.

Silver wrote it’s a move “that could allow San Francisco to feature a Patriots-style, two-tight-end passing circus” in conjunction with Davis.

McDonald had 115 catches at Rice, which ranks No. 6 all time at the school, with 15 TD catches. He was all-Conference USA as a senior.

McDonald told the Houston Chronicle that he was ecstatic to be going to the NFC champion 49ers.

“Champions, you couldn’t imagine going into a better place,” he said. He added that when head coach Jim Harbaugh called him after his selection, Harbaugh told him “you’re the perfect fit here” because of his versatility

Yeah, I saw that article. Funny thing, according to his top-100 (+25) prospects, Ertz is ahead of McDonald, at 35 and 46, respectively:

Hot 100 + 25: Luke Joeckel, Ziggy Ansah still top 2013 draft class - NFL.com

Granted 46 is by far the highest that I've seen McDonald ranked anywhere. I hope Brandt is right. There's no doubt McDonald has very good physical traits and experience playing in different spots that should lend themselves to our offense - curiously I heard one of the national pundits saying McDonald would be our in-line blocker, allowing Davis to move; I think McDonald will do more moving in the formation.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Did anyone realize that only 4 TEs have put up more rep's on the bench (31) than McDonald since 2005? And McDonald has long arms (34.375 inches).

Orson Charles (35) 2012
Daniel Coats (34) 2007
Vernon Davis (33) 2006
Tim Massaquoi (32) 2006
Vance McDonald (31) 2013

And if memory serves, Charles had short arms. I think it was like 32 something. I don't know where to find arm length for the other 3 guys. My point is that Vance's performance on the bench press is probably one of the best of all time for a TE.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see the addition of Boldin & the loss of Walker as a wash in the passing game. The only way it'll be better (in terms of receiver talent) is if Jenkins or Patton comes in and produces this year.

A speedy flanker is still on my wish list. Maybe Jenkins can be that guy. We'll see. If not, Sammy Watkins & Marqise Lee would look great in red & gold (better than any of the WRs in the 2013 draft). Although, as I stated in another thread, the lack of a Q in Marqise's name worries me a bit. That's the only red flag that goes up for him as a prospect IMO.

As far as blocking goes, McDonald & Walker is probably a wash at first; but in the long run, I see McDonald becoming one of the better blocking TEs in the league like Greg Clark was before he pulled his hamstrings off the bone. :(

Lee's draft status hinges on USC's next QB. Whether it be Wittek or Kessler, one of them is going to have to get the ball to Lee. If the starting QB flounders (which I hope won't happen because I'm a Trojan fan) it could effect Lee's draft status and cause him to fall just a little bit in next years draft...

Physically Lee is a beast! However he does have concentration lapses at times and has had some dropped balls during his career as a Trojan...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd probably want Watkins over Lee just based on the fact that Lee had a pro' QB throiwng him the ball, and USC receivers have sucked in the NFL for the most part (Keyshawn Johnson notwithstanding).

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd probably want Watkins over Lee just based on the fact that Lee had a pro' QB throiwng him the ball, and USC receivers have sucked in the NFL for the most part (Keyshawn Johnson notwithstanding).

Oh, don't make the mistake of comparing past USC WR's to Lee...

Lee is by far the most dynamic and electric WR since Keyshawn! Robert Woods will be solid in the NFL as well, and will translate into a very nice possesion WR on Sunday's...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did anyone realize that only 4 TEs have put up more rep's on the bench (31) than McDonald since 2005? And McDonald has long arms (34.375 inches).

Orson Charles (35) 2012
Daniel Coats (34) 2007
Vernon Davis (33) 2006
Tim Massaquoi (32) 2006
Vance McDonald (31) 2013

And if memory serves, Charles had short arms. I think it was like 32 something. I don't know where to find arm length for the other 3 guys. My point is that Vance's performance on the bench press is probably one of the best of all time for a TE.

Charles - 32 3/8 inch arm
Coats - 35 1/4
Massaquoi - 32 3/8