• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vance Mcdonald-6'4/267

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think Celek can take the #2 TE spot??

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Celek did some good things in the Seattle game win Davis left the game due to injury. Celek cannot beat out Vance for that job though IMO. Asking Vance to move around, and line up at wide is not a foreign thing for him to do. The kid is sneaky good - he landed on a team that has one of the best TEs in the league which inevitably will draw attention away from him. He'll see a lot of one-on-one matchups and win...!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My main concern is that it took VD and Walker most of the season to get a grasp and feel of the playbook and it might take McDonald some time to get a grasp of it as well since outside the QB obviously Walker probably had the most complex job on offense.

Though he is used to moving around and will have the benefit of the full offseason that VD and Walker didn't have in 2011 so the transition might not be that bad.

I think he has a better chance of being a better fit for the Joker role than Walker was because of his size. Walker seemed like a poor man's VD but McDonald with his size will have the ability to be a much better RZ threat and I believe will be a better 3rd down target.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My main concern is that it took VD and Walker most of the season to get a grasp and feel of the playbook and it might take McDonald some time to get a grasp of it as well since outside the QB obviously Walker probably had the most complex job on offense.
Though he is used to moving around and will have the benefit of the full offseason that VD and Walker didn't have in 2011 so the transition might not be that bad.

I think he has a better chance of being a better fit for the Joker role than Walker was because of his size. Walker seemed like a poor man's VD but McDonald with his size will have the ability to be a much better RZ threat and I believe will be a better 3rd down target.

this is natural for all rookies and yeah, more so for his intended roleS. so he should just progress at his own pace, we shouldn't be leaning on him much (this season) anyway?

VD isn't so young anymore and would be nice if Vance eventually fills the primary TE role? not counting on it, but would be nice?

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he should be able to win it

No way, McDonald played TE and slot WR, he is big, strong and quick for being 6'4/270. He is a matchup nightmare, you didnt hear a lot about him bc he played at Rice. Celek will be 3rd string

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance McDonald could make or break this season for the Niners IMO. the #2 TE was huge need, and they went with a big guy. I'm betting they were thinking they wanta guy who's going to block first & catch passes 2nd, but he needs work in that area.

I like McDonald's potential as a big, tough, Harbaugh kind of TE who's tall & has long arms & a good vertical. But the Niners are going to need production from him sooner than anyone else in the draft class not named Eric Reid IMO.

He will be a better pass catcher then Walker ever was.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He will be a better pass catcher then Walker ever was.

Walker had above-average hands early in his career, not surprising for a converted WR. For whatever reason, the more he improve his blocking, the more he struggled with his hands.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

delanie is still trying to get a grasp on the ball

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vance McDonald could make or break this season for the Niners IMO. the #2 TE was huge need, and they went with a big guy. I'm betting they were thinking they wanta guy who's going to block first & catch passes 2nd, but he needs work in that area.

I like McDonald's potential as a big, tough, Harbaugh kind of TE who's tall & has long arms & a good vertical. But the Niners are going to need production from him sooner than anyone else in the draft class not named Eric Reid IMO.

i get the gist and your opinion is fine, but how can it not start with Reid. he is by far the one slated to start the season? well ok, Reid won't "make or break" this SEASON, but his play obviously affects the defense?

not worried about his physical abilities, it'll be his speed in picking up the scheme/adjustments.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
truth be told, I'm real excited with our run game with McDonald in as the assumed #2 TE.... I think with him getting to the next level is really going to push back some hats...

then there's the passing game lol.....

I know i know, how dare i stay on topic...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I see the addition of Boldin & the loss of Walker as a wash in the passing game. The only way it'll be better (in terms of receiver talent) is if Jenkins or Patton comes in and produces this year.

A speedy flanker is still on my wish list. Maybe Jenkins can be that guy. We'll see. If not, Sammy Watkins & Marqise Lee would look great in red & gold (better than any of the WRs in the 2013 draft). Although, as I stated in another thread, the lack of a Q in Marqise's name worries me a bit. That's the only red flag that goes up for him as a prospect IMO.

As far as blocking goes, McDonald & Walker is probably a wash at first; but in the long run, I see McDonald becoming one of the better blocking TEs in the league like Greg Clark was before he pulled his hamstrings off the bone. :(

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I see the addition of Boldin & the loss of Walker as a wash in the passing game. The only way it'll be better (in terms of receiver talent) is if Jenkins or Patton comes in and produces this year.

A speedy flanker is still on my wish list. Maybe Jenkins can be that guy. We'll see. If not, Sammy Watkins & Marqise Lee would look great in red & gold (better than any of the WRs in the 2013 draft). Although, as I stated in another thread, the lack of a Q in Marqise's name worries me a bit. That's the only red flag that goes up for him as a prospect IMO.

As far as blocking goes, McDonald & Walker is probably a wash at first; but in the long run, I see McDonald becoming one of the better blocking TEs in the league like Greg Clark was before he pulled his hamstrings off the bone. :(

uhhhh.. huh? lack of a Q?

as in he is such a clean prospect, the lack of a question in his game? no... you said name.. Meh... I don't understand what you are trying to say

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
uhhhh.. huh? lack of a Q?

as in he is such a clean prospect, the lack of a question in his game? no... you said name.. Meh... I don't understand what you are trying to say

Whoops! Sorry. My mistake. Allow me to calrify.

I meant to say the lack of a "u" after the Q in his name is the one red flag that worries me. Otherwise, he's a blue-chip prospect IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't realize McDonald was the long-snapper at Rice. Not expecting anything this year, but he could be a replacement for Jennings in a few years, while adding substantially more production at TE. Jennings will be 37 this year.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize McDonald was the long-snapper at Rice. Not expecting anything this year, but he could be a replacement for Jennings in a few years, while adding substantially more production at TE. Jennings will be 37 this year.

I thought that as well but someone pointed out the jeopardy of having a long snapper actually playing and possibly gettin hurt. Still dunno how I feel about it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought that as well but someone pointed out the jeopardy of having a long snapper actually playing and possibly gettin hurt. Still dunno how I feel about it.

Well you need a backup who actually gets practice reps, but I think most teams have LS who play more than Jennings does. Though maybe 60% or so of snaps is too much.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boldin>>>>>>>>>Walker, not even close