• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Valverde

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One, two, three again tonight. He's given up as many hits on the season as Ricky did walks tonight.... One.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ready to go all crazy on Potato Head after one blown save. He has actually looked fairly well so far this seaon, I am afraid the rest of the pen needs a lot of help right now though.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, chief .... the bullpen struggles go well beyond Big Papa right now. The starters, outside of Porcello, weren't all that impressive this weekend, either. Hopefully getting out of Texas will help. Something about that ballpark seems to cause our pitchers to attack hitters differently than they normally would.

ChinMusic2

Relax, It's a long season
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valverde - you suck !!!

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gives up a bomb on a belt-high 0-2 pitch. Inexcusable. But if the Tigers could ever score more than 2 or 3 runs on the road, Papa G's fail would have been a moot point.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tn

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to AAA.

Actually, he was D.F.A'ed. It was not until today that he accepted his assignment to AAA. As such, he is still in the Tigers universe, and, there is then a chance he could be "fixed", and be brought back.

Should condolences be in order?

:noidea:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....I think it would be against the MLBPA contract, to take Valverde out behind the barn and shoot him.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he was D.F.A'ed. It was not until today that he accepted his assignment to AAA. As such, he is still in the Tigers universe, and, there is then a chance he could be "fixed", and be brought back.

Should condolences be in order?

:noidea:

I would think if he was brought back there might be a riot in Detroit. He's as loved as much as Raburn right now.

I see the Dodgers are getting healthy, can they make a charge? Or should we send condolences?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many have said that Jose Valverde was a hot dog, with his colorful chin beard, edgy mound demeanor and exuberant postgame antics. Now that Valverde's in the minor leagues and trying to work his way back to the Detroit Tigers, he literally had to wear the hot dog accusations.
The Toledo Mud Hens, not afraid to wear loud uniforms in order to attract attention, wore hot dog-themed jerseys Saturday and, thankfully for all of us, Valverde got to pitch. Even more thankfully, [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]354245879273771008[/MEDIA]"]Sports Illustrated tweeted out a photo[/ame] of him pitching.
What a look; Perfect for a guy who likes extra mustard on his pitches. This style might actually be the best in recapturing the awesome Houston Astros' starburst/rainbow vomit uniforms of the 1970s and early '80s. Make mine a double dog, Mr. Vendor! No ketchup on the hot dog, please, because this isn't Russia.

hotdogmudhensvalverde.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many have said that Jose Valverde was a hot dog, with his colorful chin beard, edgy mound demeanor and exuberant postgame antics. Now that Valverde's in the minor leagues and trying to work his way back to the Detroit Tigers, he literally had to wear the hot dog accusations.
The Toledo Mud Hens, not afraid to wear loud uniforms in order to attract attention, wore hot dog-themed jerseys Saturday and, thankfully for all of us, Valverde got to pitch. Even more thankfully, Sports Illustrated tweeted out a photo of him pitching.
What a look; Perfect for a guy who likes extra mustard on his pitches. This style might actually be the best in recapturing the awesome Houston Astros' starburst/rainbow vomit uniforms of the 1970s and early '80s. Make mine a double dog, Mr. Vendor! No ketchup on the hot dog, please, because this isn't Russia.

hotdogmudhensvalverde.jpg

Just saw this, very very funny big d!

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valverdre reaches the end. Yet again.

Detroit – So long, Jose Valverde.

The Tigers on Wednesday afternoon finally gave their one-time All-Star closer his unconditional release. He had been pitching for the Triple A Toledo Mud Hens.
Valverde, 35, wasn’t overly effective with Toledo, allowing 14 hits and six walks in 11 innings since the Tigers designated him for assignment in mid-June. He had to see the writing on the wall when, this week, the Tigers brought up Jeremy Bonderman over him.

Valverde also spent two stints away from Toledo, dealing with “personal” issues back home in the Dominican Republic.

Valverde had some fine seasons for the Tigers, including a perfect 49-for-49 mark in saves in 2011. But he imploded in last season’s playoffs and didn’t even get invited back to the Tigers this year until late spring, when it became clear their closer plan, rookie Bruce Rondon, wasn’t working out.
And the veteran right-hander looked like a possible solution when he posted a 0.75 ERA through 12 outings with the Tigers in 2013.

Then, though, everything fell apart – and three weeks later, he was gone, banished to Toledo. The Tigers brass said then if he worked through his issues and started trusting his once-impressive split-finger fastball, he’d be a welcome addition to the Detroit bullpen down the stretch. But that was them simply being polite; Valverde wasn’t going to return.

Instead, the Tigers started looking for reinforcements anywhere else – and bulked up the bullpen with the trade for Astros closer Jose Veras, and brought back Bonderman.
Valverde had a 3.22 ERA, 119 saves and made a pair of All-Star teams in 3.5 mostly productive seasons with the Tigers.
His release comes a day after saving Toledo’s 4-1 victory over Columbus.