• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UWs Potential coaches

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I want Pinkel. He seems to have issues. Recent dui and I can tell he's a booze hound just like Erickson was.

Still. He's done a fine job with Missouri and has ties out this way.

He is a good coach. Who cares if he is an alcoholic if it does not impact his ability to coach? Just about every person I know is a high functional alcoholic.

My only concern is his age and how much he has got left in him. I'd prefer to hire someone who will be around for another 10 years. Pinkel would have what? 5 years? 7 years? I honestly don't know.

Petersen is my #1 at this point.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Nuss "similar" to Sark. Please explain that. Are you saying that it's because both were OCs when they arrived at UW? Or they run the same offense? Personality?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So word around campus is that Petersen is quite interested in the job and either has, or will soon be speaking to Woodward in person.

Everyone has more or less assumed Petersen is off the table as he always seems to say no to every offer he has had. But assume for a moment he wants it. Is he then at or near the top of your list?

I think I've made it clear I'm a huge supporter of his. He has the discipline and respect I want out of a HC. You guys?

Petersen is my #1 and it is not even close.

I originally wanted Mora due to his connections to the region but believe Petersen to be a much better coach.

I worry about hiring anyone without head coaching experience though, which is why I am not too keen on Nuss or Wilcox. I think they would be good hires for guys without coaching experience but I think this team needs someone with experience.

If I had to rank it I would do it as followed (Among the guys connected):
1. Chris Petersen: Very few flaws with the guy. I've actually been hoping he would leave Boise State because I'm really intrigued by what he could do at a real program.
2. Gary Pinkel: Excellent resume. UW connection. Only flaw is his age. How long does he have left? I think he could give us a very smooth transition though
3. Doug Nussmeier: Currently a top candidate. Obviously a good OC, seeing as how our offense fell apart our first year without him. Has even more experience under Saban.
4. Justin Wilcox: I would rank him over Nuss because I believe he is an outstanding defensive coach but I'm starting to wonder if I want Wilcox. He was fast to follow Sark to USC and that makes me question his loyalty. Plus I have to wonder how many of the current players are pissed at Sark and Wilcox and if that could cause a wedge between Wilcox and the players. Not to mention anything connected to Sark gives me a really sour taste. Wilcox is a good defensive coach and would offer continuity, but there is the concern if the players hold the USC thing against him. Also since he was so quick to go to USC I wonder if he would ditch UW for a different HC job, just like Sark.

Did not include a lot of other guys like DeRuyter etc. etc. because these 4 seem to be the most likely IMO. Pinkel seems like a long shot though. I get the impression the UW brass wants either Petersen or Nuss.

Would have no objections to any of those 4 guys.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So word around campus is that Petersen is quite interested in the job and either has, or will soon be speaking to Woodward in person.

Everyone has more or less assumed Petersen is off the table as he always seems to say no to every offer he has had. But assume for a moment he wants it. Is he then at or near the top of your list?

I think I've made it clear I'm a huge supporter of his. He has the discipline and respect I want out of a HC. You guys?

Yes. If Petersen was sincerely interested he would be my first choice. Whatever the hold up with the hire might be, I would make go away.

It's hard to consider him just from the past. Every time a job becomes available his name comes up and he doesnt go anywhere. Official or unofficial he's been offered a ton of jobs and has turned them all down.

I don't know if I'm ready to buy all of this yet. Sure he may be our #1 candidate, but it's Petersen. Will believe it when I see it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's begun. First UW assistants to join Sark at USC announced tonight.

USC: Fox Sports / Scout.com reporter Lindsey Thiry is reporting that Steve Sarkisian will retain wide receivers coach Tee Martin and hire Washington running backs coach / special teams coordinator Johnny Nansen. Nansen actually spent his first three seasons coaching the defensive line at Washington in addition to coaching the special teams, so there is some flexibility there. A source tells me that USC defensive line coach Pete Jenkins has already left the staff and will not coach in the bowl game, so it seems as if Nansen will coach the defensive line during bowl preparations.

Washington defensive backs coach Keith Heyward is also expected to join the USC staff.

At the end of the day, expect Justin Wilcox and Tosh Lupoi to end up in Los Angeles. If that happens, Lupoi would coach the defensive line and Sark would shift Nansen most likely to running backs and/or special teams coordinator. How crazy is the coaching profession? USC athletic director Pat Haden said yesterday, "I think John Baxter is the best special teams coordinator in America." One could certainly argue that Tommie Robinson is the running backs coach of the year in college football for the job he did this season. Baxter and Robinson, however, could be on their way out after the bowl game. It's all part of the coaching profession.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

It's to be expected. Even when UW gets their guy if he's already a head coach he's likely to bring his staff anyway. At least some of them.

I would really like to see Baxter land at UW though.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Pete Roussel who covers college coaching activity:

There is no question that Alabama offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier wants the Washington job.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...

Someones already altered the Petersen wiki;

...Petersen has declared, that the University of Washington will play in consecutive Rose Bowls of the coming years. National Championships to follow shortly. :yahoo:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u72PLri.png

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHRIS PETERSEN

Career Path:
Played and coached at UC Davis for a combined seven years. Went to Pitt to coach QB's for one season, then to Portland State for two. Six years of coaching WR's at Oregon before becoming Boise's offensive coordinator, and then taking over as head coach when Dan Hawkins left for Colorado.

What's To Like: 92-12 career record. Five conference championships in 8 years. 4 top 10 finshes, 6 top 15 finishes. Fantastic X's and O's mind on the offensive side. Gets a lot out of recruits who are mostly not thought of as good enough to play in the Pac-12. Has routinely out coached and beaten programs that should have more talent and resources than Boise in wins over Oregon State (x2), Oregon (x2), Utah (x2), Oklahoma, TCU, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Arizona State, and Washington. His teams always show up ready to play and prior to this season had never been blown out.

Reasons To Be Cautious: Can he recruit at a Pac-12 level against schools like USC and Oregon? His desire to coach in a big market has long been a question. How would he do against the meat grinder schedule that is the Pac-12? If the media scrutiny in Boise was bothersome, the Seattle media will rip him apart. You could argue that Boise State has been in a slow decline since their undefeated 2009 campaing. Coming off of an unprecedented 4 loss season raises an eyebrow.

Why He'd Be Interested: There's nothing left for him to prove at BSU. He's unlikely to ever again get as close to a national championship as he did in the late 2000's there. He saw up close and personal this season that the talent at UW is better than what he's got at Boise, and by a wide margin.

Is It A Good Fit: On the field yes, off the field no. Petersen has done an excellent job over the course of his career of both developing talent on the field and creating systems around that talent to allow it to succeed. It would be interesting to see what he could do with UW's talent, but could he sustain the talent level long term? If he could keep Justin Wilcox in the fold -- who coached under Petersen as defensive coordinator at Boise State -- it would go a long way toward helping out in recruiting and give the fans confidence in the continued improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

~By Anthony Cassino

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You list his recent team as a caution, but Don James didn't have 10+ wins every season and he had a much bigger pool to recruit from. His team not finishing well this year is a plus, not a minus. It means he might actually have less to hold him there as he will be rebuilding there, or somewhere else anyway.

Petersen has proven he can run a team, manage coaches, deal with players and their off the field problems, and he fits the mold of what I look for in a HC with his discipline and respectability. His teams don't create stupid penalties. His teams are better prepared for games than Sark ever has for us and they don't tend to lay eggs on the road. Those are the reasons he should be the top candidate, but I still think it's a long shot to get him.

As I said in the Pac thread you have to wonder if there are other reasons why he isn't already at another school outside of him just saying no. Does he not interview well and leaves AD's scratching their heads? Does he demands things AD's just aren't willing to give and they actually turn him down?

Because he has not left BSU for so long with so many other apparent offers you have to say getting him is a longshot. You Just have to.

I would expect we will have a conclusion either way on him by tomorrow. He has an active recruiting season going on and doesn't need the distraction to linger if he isn't taking it and if UW wants him as number one they aren't going to wait to get that deal done. At that point it will be just like Mora. Time to move on to the next guy.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect we will have a conclusion either way on him by tomorrow. He has an active recruiting season going on and doesn't need the distraction to linger if he isn't taking it and if UW wants him as number one they aren't going to wait to get that deal done. At that point it will be just like Mora. Time to move on to the next guy.

I don't believe Petersen can leave until after their bowl. Here are details of his contract.

Here are the details of Boise State football coach Chris Petersen's new contract | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

Since missing on Mora I've felt this was going to take longer than most of us think. We're going to take a hit on recruiting but it's going to be worth it if we land Chris.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the date he accepts has an impact on the buy out of the contract. He is free to leave any time he likes. No one can write a contract forcing you to stay longer, but they can penalize you for leaving before a specific date.

I wouldn't worry about the date he joins the team if he accepts the job. Just knowing who the HC is will add stability and the remaining staff will still be able to go out and recruit through the bowl season.

There is no doubt we took a hit to this recruiting class no matter who we get and when they join. I just wouldn't expect a top 30 class at this point. Tui as interim HC will be out getting what he can over the next several weeks. You can bet that Petersen would still be in the loop on things until he officially joined.

If you are asking me which is better: Petersen but you can't have him until Jan 1st, or Nussmeier and he could come tomorrow I'd still take Petersen hands down. That clause doesn't concern me in the slightest.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall BSU staffers ever commenting on Petersens courting in the past. Also heard it (whoever *it* is) should be concluded by Sunday.

Statement from Boise State president Bob Kustra:
“We are fully committed to Coach Petersen remaining at Boise State and … (1/2)
— Brian Murphy (@murphsturph) [ame="https://twitter.com/murphsturph/statuses/408648381116862465"]December 5, 2013[/ame]
Kustra: … as always, intend to do everything in our power to support him as Boise State’s football coach." (2/2)
— Brian Murphy (@murphsturph) [ame="https://twitter.com/murphsturph/statuses/408648441841995776"]December 5, 2013[/ame][ame="https://twitter.com/murphsturph/statuses/408648441841995776"][/ame]

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still trying not to get my hopes up about Peterson, not working so well... I think anyone who is concerned he couldn't translate success to the Pac 12 is nuts. I look at it the opposite way, if he could do so well at Boise State, imagine what he could do with Washington's resources.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still trying not to get my hopes up about Peterson, not working so well... I think anyone who is concerned he couldn't translate success to the Pac 12 is nuts. I look at it the opposite way, if he could do so well at Boise State, imagine what he could do with Washington's resources.

No one knows what any candidate would do at UW. It is a different school with different recruiting grounds than even major schools. Every single person they look at is an unknown for this position so we trust Woodward to find that right person and go for it.

As for Petersen, it is fine to talk about the what ifs and share if you like him more than some other candidate, but everyone should believe he isn't coming and simply be surprised if we are wrong. Given his history, expecting him to come here would be foolish.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]408815025902460928[/MEDIA]"][/ame]
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]408821052257488897[/MEDIA]"][/ame]
[ame="https://twitter.com/BJRains/statuses/408814619017228288"]https://twitter.com/BJRains/statuses/408814619017228288[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like their meeting was earlier than anyone else thought. Should find out about Petersen by tomorrow maybe and if not him perhaps they get whoever else it is done before the weekend is over.