• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: USC @ Stanford, now on Fox

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real wet fart of a game and gdt

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think way too many people were giving SC a little too much credit claiming they were the favorites in the south. Freshman QB that should be a senior in high school. Online needs a lot of work. Defense gives up too many chunk plays. Helton went full Chip on that 4th and 2. They need to slide Amon Ra to the outside instead of the slot imo.
And why were they playing the middle so soft? Granted, you have to keep Love contained, but the Cardinal QB knew he would find wide open TEs all night long.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why were they playing the middle so soft? Granted, you have to keep Love contained, but the Cardinal QB knew he would find wide open TEs all night long.
I agree and Stanford has some good TE's.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW... Congrats to Stanford! :nod:

It was like deja vu from last season's Cotton Bowl... Our defense finally showed up in the second half while the offense totally missed the bus. :tsk:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game by Stanford.

I thought our running game should have been used more. We ran the ball 37 times, should have been more. The offense also needs to learn how to finish drives. It was the same issue as the first half last week. We look good until we hit about the opponents 30 yard line. Then the field shrinks, things speed up and our offense looks out of sync.

The o-line needs to learn how to pass protect better.

I thought JT looked like a true freshman most of the game. I like his poise and that he doesn't appear to be afraid. But there were times that he was locked in too early on receivers or made decisions a little too late.

Having said that, like last week, there were too many dropped passes and Stanford was effective at taking Amon-Ra out of the game. All of that should correct itself as the season progresses and JT's timing with other receivers improves.

I'm still concerned about the o-line. They seem a little better than last year, but not better enough if we want to have a real shot at winning the PAC.

The defense looked good for the most part and did a pretty good job of containing Bryce Love. He still managed to run for 136 yards, but over half of that was on 2 runs, neither of which resulted in touchdowns. A little help from the offense could have gone a long way as well.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^All good points. I think it was a tough loss because as a fan you sit back and think if a few things would have been done then it's a closer game. But bottom line is you have an 18 yr old true freshman in his first road game and it's against Stanford. They decided to take Amon Ra away and that was smart. The run game was doing pretty good IMO. Constantly getting about 5 yards on first down and when they ran it again they would end up with 3rd n 2 or 3. I still cant stand the 20 yard throws sideways to gain 4-5 yards. Got Kiffin flashbacks. The TE position was terrible yesterday. There were a few balls TP should have had. I can't complain too much about JTs performance. He stood in there but you're right he had a tendency to stare down his receivers. I think that will go away when he's more comfortable and when he' knows each better. Can't complain about the defense. After the first drive they held their own.
On to Austin. I looked at the weather report and from when I get there a cpl days before and game time it's thunderstorms and in the high 80s. So basically Cuba.lol

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<snip>...On to Austin. I looked at the weather report and from when I get there a cpl days before and game time it's thunderstorms and in the high 80s. So basically Cuba.lol

YIKES! Kinda forgot about Mother Nature's crankiness in those parts, especially THIS time of year... :nod:

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC, has some weakness's and Stanford took advantage. You guys have talent, just not stacked.

I think the Pac will have issues this year. A lot of cannibalism with some fairly evenly matched teams.