• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC met with NCAA about getting sanctions reduced

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• “Maintaining institutional control of [high-profile student-athletes’] conduct presents unique challenges to compliance staff. Close monitoring and follow through on information [concerning high-profile student-athletes] must be employed. In this case, the institution failed to heed clear warning signs. Also, adequate resources must be dedicated to compliance.”
• “Because of the clandestine nature of intentional rules violations, institutions need to have well-conceived processes in place to assist in uncovering potential violations.”
• “Yet [USC} failed to take a ‘proactive’ stance or investigate concerns and questions that arose regarding the relationship.”
• “The failure of the institution to recognize warning signs, to be proactive in monitoring its athletics program, and to follow through on information regarding possible rules violations resulted in a finding of lack of institutional control.”

Quoting what the NCAA said in their findings, means nothing!! None of the above has been disputed with regard to the fact that the Bush family was receiving impermissible benefits. What has been disputed is the level of sanctions which were double what has been given previously for similar transgressions.

Additionally, the part that says "the failure of the institution to recognize warning signs, be proactive in monitoring it's athletic programs and to follow through on information regarding possible rules violations resulted in a finding of lack of institutional control" was based off of the word of a convicted felon who claimed that he told running backs coach Todd McNair about the payments to the Bush family.

The problem is that this was never proven by the NCAA and is the basis of Todd McNairs defamation lawsuit in which the judge has stated that the NCAA acted improperly and with malice in the investigation and punishment of USC.

PSU was also cited for LOIC.

Again, if you are going to allow one school to have their sanctions lessened for complying with the NCAA sanctions and making appropriate changes, then all schools should be afforded the same opportunity.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the biggest difference is that Penn St. was givin' no appeals process. This is your punishment and you're going down to 65 scholarships. USC went down to only 75.

To where USC was allowed to appeal and that process was drawn out for almost 2yrs. All the while they were allowed to stockpile recruits with the likelihood knowing that the appeal would be denied. During the appeals process, they landed one of the consensus top-five classes in the nation (Feb. 2011). Plus they got a top RB in Silas Redd from Penn St. to transfer there after his sophomore season.

They may not be bowl eligible and have some injuries (which no one can foresee) but they did / do have talent on that roster to still be successful.

Very oversimplified. It doesn't matter that USC was able to "stockpile" talent for 2 years prior to the scholarship reduction because there were still top players who chose to transfer and USC still had to be down to 75 scholarship players by the beginning of the 2012 season. So, no matter how many players USC may have had in 2011, we still could no more than 75 by 2012.

Additionally, anyone can foresee injuries. You may not know WHO will be injured, but you know it's football so there WILL be injuries. No team goes an entire season without injuries. The result of this is that USC is now suiting up fewer than 60 scholarship players or more than 15 fewer than we are allowed to have under the sanctions and more than 25 fewer than everyone else has.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting!! I wonder which ongoing lawsuit? The only one that I'm aware of that involves USC in any way, is the Todd McNair defamation lawsuit. That lawsuit only involves USC in the sense that he is a former coach and was the one that the NCAA claimed was told about about the Bush families impermissible benefits.

If true, then I want USC to "nuclear sue" the NCAA (even though I really don't think we will)!!

Last edited by a moderator:

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA would have to be completely stupid to use reinstating scholarships to blackmail USC into dropping a lawsuit.

So yeah, completely plausible

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA would have to be completely stupid to use reinstating scholarships to blackmail USC into dropping a lawsuit.

So yeah, completely plausible

Gotta love the NCAA!! Even when they do something right, they manage to screw it up!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a good article by newspaper USA Today from Nov. 2012, talking about the sanctions, what USC did about recruiting, what to do about less scholarships ect.... leading up to the 2012 season.

How USC stays in the game, despite NCAA sanctions

Good article JD!! Thanks for posting it. I had heard about the binder that Coach Kiffin showed to Pat Haden re: the sanctions, but this article gave the most info. that I have seen re: what was in it!!

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC deserves it.

-The End

p.s. - Thanks for hiring Kiffin to make it even worse.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big difference between USC and Penn St...USC's sanctions are well deserved...Penn St, not

Because allowing "Tickle Monster" to continue to be employed and then still allowed to have free range on campus isn't immoral...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your current situation is due to that vacated score. Enjoy.

Vacated wins are stupid and it's pretty sad if that is all you can say about it. You like them moral victories?

You lost, even with the vacated win you still lost because they don't vacate the loss. It's a vacated win, not a vacated score. Cry more or deal with it.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vacated wins are stupid and it's pretty sad if that is all you can say about it. You like them moral victories?

You lost, even with the vacated win you still lost because they don't vacate the loss. It's a vacated win, not a vacated score. Cry more or deal with it.

November 17th, 2007:

Louisiana-Monroe 21 Alabama 14

Every team has low points at some time or other regardless of history or tradition.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
November 17th, 2007:

Louisiana-Monroe 21 Alabama 14

Every team has low points at some time or other regardless of history or tradition.

Sure, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this. I'm not trying to gain some moral victory over that loss, and I'm certainly not going to trash La-Monroe over it.

Got beat, all there is to it. :noidea:

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Says the Alabama fan with the 2nd most vacated wins aside from Penn State.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the Alabama fan with the 2nd most vacated wins aside from Penn State.

So? I still remember them and that's all that matters. The NCAA trying to change history is pathetic. And like I said, you still lost, it stills counts as a loss, so deal with it.