• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Upton being shopped; Proposed Trade Idea

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So Justin Upton is being shopped.Justin Upton Rumors: Thursday: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

My proposed trade Idea:

Brandon Belt, Thomas Neal, Dan Runzler, for Upton.

Pros:
-Upton is the only proven big league player in this deal.
-Upton has 5 years 49.5 million left on his contract, which I would consider a bargain for his talent.
-Upton makes our lineup a lot more lethal next year, as well as our outfield defense.

Cons:
-You're giving up on the widely considered 2nd best 1st Base prospect in the game
-Upton has a trade clause that allows him to block deals to 4 clubs
-D-Backs might not want to trade within division
-Loss of bullpen depth with Runzler being gone, and losing a B prospect throw-in.
-Upton had a setback this year with power, although could be due to minor injuries suffered.

Me and my buddy saw the rumor and discussed this for a good hour. I'm basically torn. I'd hate to lose Belt but Upton is 23 and his upside is much higher than Belt. That contract is also Longoria-like good. Excellent value.

Feel free to add other trade ideas that you might think is more realistic. Admittedly, I'm not sure if those 3 players gets it done. Possibly Pablo instead of Neal? And of course the trading within the division is a huge roadblock. But hey, this is what the off season is for.:D

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Upton Rumors: Thursday: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

It appears the con you feared most would be the back-breaker of any possible deal. I think you have a great idea, and I don't know of any team that wouldn't want Justin Upton in their outfield, but mlbtraderumors.com says the Diamondbacks will not trade him within the division. Thus, especially with three interested teams, the asking price would be undoubtedly even higher.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, doesn't Upton have 'clubhouse issues', or is that just hype?

If we learned anything in 2010 it's how much that 'chemistry' stuff matters. See Guillen, Jose and also see, Team, The Entire Rest of

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Plus, doesn't Upton have 'clubhouse issues', or is that just hype?

If we learned anything in 2010 it's how much that 'chemistry' stuff matters. See Guillen, Jose and also see, Team, The Entire Rest of

Haven't heard of any issues, and no I don't think it really matters too much. The Giants won with excellent pitching at the right time, one of the better defenses, and a league average offense that could crape a few runs together. Chemistry was overblown, and used as an excuse by the media why a team with no "stars" could win.

Barry Bonds had "clubhouse issues". He also had a career OPS of .1051 and was one of the greatest players of all time.

But all of this is moot anyway, looks like AZ won't be shopping him in NL West.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard of any issues, and no I don't think it really matters too much. The Giants won with excellent pitching at the right time, one of the better defenses, and a league average offense that could crape a few runs together. Chemistry was overblown, and used as an excuse by the media why a team with no "stars" could win.

Barry Bonds had "clubhouse issues". He also had a career OPS of .1051 and was one of the greatest players of all time.
But all of this is moot anyway, looks like AZ won't be shopping him in NL West.

I think 2002 and 2010 might be evidence to the 'chemistry' debate. Bonds and his otherworldly talents only made one WS (and lost...yes I know, chemistry didn't make F Rodriguez give up the HR but still), the 'starless' Giants won it all, pretty smoothly even once they made the playoffs.

Obviously if another Bonds comes along you don't care if he thinks he's Napoleon, you want him on your team. But Upton, Guillen, etc are not even close to that level so then quality teammate issues do have to be considered.

I give Zito, Rowand, and Panda props for being total team guys when they got benched. That counts for something.

As you said, in this case, it's moot anyway.