• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unofficial late to the party Red Zone thread

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what's up with the Falcons? They were so strong last year... and this year they seem to be somewhat struggling. I suppose the tightness of this game can be written off as a divisional game, those are often unpredictable.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Matt Ryan is becoming the bust I predicted he'd be!

:) Just kidding. I wish.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago fans are going to be pissed after this game. An early INT by Rodgers erased by a penalty and he goes on to throw a TD later in the drive, Woodson clearly pass interfering to prevent a TD by Hester was ignored, and now a punt return TD by Knox taken back by penalty.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, Finley just made the Pro-Bowl over Vernon Davis today. A 3 TD game just put him on everyone's ballot, plus being on one of the best teams in the NFC... it's a lock.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW, Finley just made the Pro-Bowl over Vernon Davis today. A 3 TD game just put him on everyone's ballot, plus being on one of the best teams in the NFC... it's a lock.

He'll also put up better numbers across the board.

Oh yeah, and he's a better player.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll also put up better numbers across the board.

Oh yeah, and he's a better player.

Well, I'd disagree with you on him being a better player. He's just on a better team, with threats all over the field. (Which means he rarely gets double-teamed) Take that last TD for example, his guy came off him to cover Starks on a shorter pattern. A great design for a play to distract the DB, and since its a real threat that Rodgers will see the other options... it left Finley wide open.

You'll almost never see something like that for Vernon Davis. Instead we see plays where he gets so much attention Walker is wide open for a TD.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, I'd disagree with you on him being a better player. He's just on a better team, with threats all over the field. (Which means he rarely gets double-teamed) Take that last TD for example, his guy came off him to cover Starks on a shorter pattern. A great design for a play to distract the DB, and since its a real threat that Rodgers will see the other options... it left Finley wide open.

You'll almost never see something like that for Vernon Davis. Instead we see plays where he gets so much attention Walker is wide open for a TD.

I don't think it's even close. Finley has better hands and runs better routes. Davis is faster and stronger. Which of those makes a better TE?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's even close. Finley has better hands and runs better routes. Davis is faster and stronger. Which of those makes a better TE?

I'd agree that Finley has better hands, I'm not quite sure about the better route running. Davis runs good routes and Finley runs good routes, but I think they both get open because of their size and speed more than crisp route running.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd agree that Finley has better hands, I'm not quite sure about the better route running. Davis runs good routes and Finley runs good routes, but I think they both get open because of their size and speed more than crisp route running.

I'm not happy with Davis as a route runner.

The biggest advantage Finley has, and I don't know why I left this out earlier, is his ball skills and agility. He adjusts to the ball much better than Davis, who is quite stiff.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The biggest advantage Finley has, and I don't know why I left this out earlier, is his ball skills and agility. He adjusts to the ball much better than Davis, who is quite stiff.

This is what I think everytime I see VD. He has great strength and good straight line speed, but no agi or swivel. I would trade him for Finley in a heartbeat. While we're at it, throw in Alex for Rodgers and we're a playoff team. :fencing:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a good point I suppose, Finley does actually adjust to the ball... whereas Davis will quit on the ball under some situations. I still believe that Davis is stifled by the lack of playmakers around him though. Sure, that doesn't change his tendency to drop balls or quit on plays where he'll get hit, or play stiff... but I think it's a lot easier for Finley when he has that group of WRs keeping defenses from double-teaming him on nearly every passing play.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's a good point I suppose, Finley does actually adjust to the ball... whereas Davis will quit on the ball under some situations. I still believe that Davis is stifled by the lack of playmakers around him though. Sure, that doesn't change his tendency to drop balls or quit on plays where he'll get hit, or play stiff... but I think it's a lot easier for Finley when he has that group of WRs keeping defenses from double-teaming him on nearly every passing play.

I agree Finley is in a better situation. I just think he's also a better player.

Shouldn't a true playmaker make his QB better and perform no matter what? Fitz still had big numbers last year despite his QBs.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis is a better blocker than Finley..... a trait in the new world of TEs are lacking.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Finley is in a better situation. I just think he's also a better player.

Shouldn't a true playmaker make his QB better and perform no matter what? Fitz still had big numbers last year despite his QBs.

I was thinking about that scenario as well, but I think it's a little unfair to hold Davis to the standards of Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson who are much better playmakers than Davis or Finley.

And, Davis didn't do too bad last year, 56 catches for 900 yards and 7 TDs with the 49ers QBs and Singletary's idea of an NFL offense. I think VD matched up fairly well to Fitz's 90 catches and 1100 yards with 6 TDs considering the gap from TE to WR.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's true. Davis did perform quite well last year. Although his QB, regardless of how anyone feels about (the) Smith(s) was better than what Arizona had.

I just know that if I were picking a TE Finley is my first choice. I'm not sure if Davis is top 5.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I finally saw a video for the punt return Chicago had that was called back on a penalty. It was beautiful, incredible deception from Hester.

Hester fakes PR as Knox fields it 30 yards away

I've watched it a couple times and I can't even see who was holding (I think they called it on the guy who was running behind the Packer near the left hashmark... and that Packer got to where he wanted to go anyways), and I certainly don't believe that if a hold occurred it actually opened up the return. It really annoys me when the crews flag something that has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the play. Like calling illegal contact on a defender on a short route to the left side of the field when the QB throws it deep to the right side of the field and it gets intercepted with the QB not even once glancing towards the receiver who drew the illegal contact. Penalties like that should get picked up.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so the Penalty was on #21 of the Bears for holding. I circled him in Yellow. And apparently his "hold" on the Packers player circled in red about 10 yards past the line of scrimmage took him out of the play.. and made it impossible for him to stop Knox (circled in Black) from returning the punt.

As you can see, the official near the goal line at the top of the screen is in the process of throwing his flag just as he realized that Knox was going to return it for a score, he did not throw the flag at the time of the "hold" much earlier in the play... what a horrible call. Chicago fans have a right to be furious

PR.png

Last edited by a moderator: