• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Underclassmen decisions; Updated lists

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to Rob Rang USC OT Matt Kalil is set to return for another year. Nothing official yet, though.

Huge news for the Trojans, IMO.

Do you think this could persuade/influence Barkley's decision to stay as well?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely. I'm normally an advocate for QBs to leave early if they're projected in the first, but in this case Barkley should return.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

very well could, sir

and YES!!! that means the Bills can try to suck for another year and get Kalil!!!

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to Rob Rang USC OT Matt Kalil is set to return for another year. Nothing official yet, though.

Huge news for the Trojans, IMO.

He is listed on most mock drafts as a Mid-first round pick!! that is some what as a surprise to me he go back for another year with out barkley that usc offense is in trouble

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hasn't Barkley already hinted towards staying? Could have sworn he said something along the lines of wanting to win a Nat'l Championship or BCS-Bowl game at USC

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I'm normally an advocate for QBs to leave early if they're projected in the first, but in this case Barkley should return.

Not only that, but Barkley and Kalil will finally have a year where they can push for a National Championship and they may even be the favorites if both of them return. It would be a loss for the draft to see both of them say, but good for college football.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Barkley is smart he'll go back for his Senior season. He still needs some work.

If Kalil is smart he'll declare for the draft. He's already better than half the LTs in the NFL right now. Mid first round pick? More like top 5 at the lowest.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kalil most likely goes 2nd, especially if the lambs are picking there

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Barkley is smart he'll go back for his Senior season. He still needs some work.

If Kalil is smart he'll declare for the draft. He's already better than half the LTs in the NFL right now. Mid first round pick? More like top 5 at the lowest.

Barkley just needs to work on getting ready for the combine. He has solved most of his problems; still panics when facing heavy duress, but that's not something that should hold him back from entering the draft.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Barkley just needs to work on getting ready for the combine. He has solved most of his problems; still panics when facing heavy duress, but that's not something that should hold him back from entering the draft.

I don't trust a turn around that only lasts a few games (see Michael Vick). I want to see it more consistently. I'm not convinced he's anything but Brett Favre minus the arm (meaning he throws into coverage all the time). His WRs will let him get away with throwing into coverage in college, but I'm not convinced he has the arm to get away with it in the NFL. JMHO. I don't see what Matt Barkley has that Alex Smith doens't at this point.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust a turn around that only lasts a few games (see Michael Vick). I want to see it more consistently. I'm not convinced he's anything but Brett Favre minus the arm (meaning he throws into coverage all the time). His WRs will let him get away with throwing into coverage in college, but I'm not convinced he has the arm to get away with it in the NFL. JMHO. I don't see what Matt Barkley has that Alex Smith doens't at this point.

:L

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok well unless you clarify I'm going to assume you think Barkley is a much better QB than Alex at this point.

I think Barkley has more potential, but I'm not convinced he's going to realize it. And unless he comes back & plays like he's done the last half of this year all season I have no reason to think he'll be better than Alex is. I would have that same worried feeling when Barkley has the ball that I do with Alex if I were a Trojan fan.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that Barkley is better than Smith, I'm wondering why that matters. What does that have to do with him being a first round pick or not? He can only hope that he gets 7 years to develop into a passable QB, right?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm not saying that Barkley is better than Smith, I'm wondering why that matters. What does that have to do with him being a first round pick or not? He can only hope that he gets 7 years to develop into a passable QB, right?

Well last offseason I thought Barkley was about equal to Jake Locker, my top QB from last year, in terms of their overall QB play & potential. However I was counting on him cleaning up a lot of the things he did his first couple of seasons that would have made me cringe if I were a USC fan. Other than in his extremely impressive win @ Oregon I don't think he did that.

Soooooo... my point is that I think he should go back for his senior season rater than "prepare for the Combine" (kind of like Alex should have) because at this point I see him mightily struggling early on in the NFL. Rihgt now I see him as an Alex Smith type of talent (average or "passable" as you put it). That's why I used the comparison. A Heisman-esque senior season could change my mind though.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well last offseason I thought Barkley was about equal to Jake Locker, my top QB from last year, in terms of their overall QB play & potential. However I was counting on him cleaning up a lot of the things he did his first couple of seasons that would have made me cringe if I were a USC fan. Other than in his extremely impressive win @ Oregon I don't think he did that.

Soooooo... my point is that I think he should go back for his senior season rater than "prepare for the Combine" (kind of like Alex should have) because at this point I see him mightily struggling early on in the NFL. Rihgt now I see him as an Alex Smith type of talent (average or "passable" as you put it). That's why I used the comparison. A Heisman-esque senior season could change my mind though.

You're digging yourself a deeper hole here. How did your perception of Barkley get worse from last year to this year? Statistically (as in I didn't watch), Barkely had two bad games in the beginning of the year, then got tremendously hot the last two thirds of the season. You must have ignored a vast majority of the season to think he didn't clean up on bad habits from the past.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So because he's not better than Alex Smith RIGHT NOW he should go back to school? Is Andrew Luck better than Alex Smith right now? If not, should he go back to school, too?

And like 1z said, Barkley this year > Barkley last year, so I'm not sure how your opinion of him has dropped so much. In fact, I wasn't a supporter of him last year, but I'm somewhat of a supporter now. He should go back to school not because he'll have a chance to be better than Smith, but to have a chance at a NCG or bowl game, to be the first QB taken, to have a shot at the Heisman.