• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unconfirmed: Johnny Football to go pro

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One may notice, none of the OU fans here are tauting Landry Jones great success with the Steelers. :L

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manziel reminds me of Ryan Leaf...lots of talent but tons of immaturity and emotional issues. I'm not sure he is quite ready for prime time. Another year of college ball to get his head on straight would do him a world of good.
-
I am not sure about that. Leaf had a cannon of an arm. He was a prototype. Problems were in his head. That is hard part to judge. Manziel has a feel for the game. He reminds me of a poor man's Brett Favre. He is always going to have a high Ints, it is just who he is.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree that Manziels game is nothing like Brees as of right now. However, I think Manziel and Wilson are quite similar. I used those examples because alot of people are just asuming that a sub 6'3" QB can't make it in the NFL. It may have been a lazy comparison, but it was in response to the lazy assumptions.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree that Manziels game is nothing like Brees as of right now. However, I think Manziel and Wilson are quite similar. I used those examples because alot of people are just asuming that a sub 6'3" QB can't make it in the NFL. It may have been a lazy comparison, but it was in response to the lazy assumptions.
-
Comparison begins and ends with height though. Wilson uses his legs to throw. He is very smart with the ball. Manziel uses his legs to run and he is a riverboat gambler. Manziel is fun to watch, because he is always pressing the line. He is going to make plays for both teams. I think that is what gets him in the NFL. It is why I never thought Favre was one of the real great QBs and Favre had an absolute cannon. Manziel wont be able to take the same chances in the NFL that makes him a great college QB.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Comparison begins and ends with height though. Wilson uses his legs to throw. He is very smart with the ball. Manziel uses his legs to run and he is a riverboat gambler. Manziel is fun to watch, because he is always pressing the line. He is going to make plays for both teams. I think that is what gets him in the NFL. It is why I never thought Favre was one of the real great QBs and Favre had an absolute cannon. Manziel wont be able to take the same chances in the NFL that makes him a great college QB.

Brees is shorter but has that lightning quick release and sees the field incredibly well, I don't believe either of those can be said on Manziel at this point.

Somebody else in the thread said the magic words: "in the right system..." That makes or breaks any pro QB's career. What did Brees do in San Diego all those years?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees is shorter but has that lightning quick release and sees the field incredibly well, I don't believe either of those can be said on Manziel at this point.

Somebody else in the thread said the magic words: "in the right system..." That makes or breaks any pro QB's career. What did Brees do in San Diego all those years?
-
he was solid in San Diego. System, coaching, and surrounding talent play a huge part in it. I just dont knwo what system suites Manziel. Probably a west coast system featuring short passing game, but rhythm and timing plays take away from JM's greatest asset, his ability to improv

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The statement that JFF made that everyone is running away with is

"In my mind, I think I'm ready."

What preceded that statement was him talking about meeting with Sumlin, Whitfield and other mentors and see what they think. Said he didn't want to leave two years of opportunity on the table if they don't think he is ready. But "in my mind, I feel ready."

I think he's gone. He'll have plenty of time to develop as a practice squad QB and third stringer. I think if he decides to come back it will be because to a guy like him starting at the college level > Practice squad QB. All depends on how his mentors evaluate him.

Good luck Johnny.
Hello Kenny Football.

Evans hasn't decided yet either and said that having a kid isn't going to be a deciding factor

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
he was solid in San Diego. System, coaching, and surrounding talent play a huge part in it. I just dont knwo what system suites Manziel. Probably a west coast system featuring short passing game, but rhythm and timing plays take away from JM's greatest asset, his ability to improv

Maybe he'll back up Tannehill down in Miami.