• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uggla to Braves

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Uribe has more power, but his ability to actually get on base is much lower. Their projected OPS are 745 and 741 respectively. Not a huge difference there offensively.

I'd rather have Uribe because if Infante's .babip regresses as expected, their offense won't be all that close. Infante's offensive production is way too dependent on his batting average, and batting average is difficult to predict. Bottom line is, Infante has little to no power, and he's not really a good .OBP guy, in the sense that he does not walk much.

Hopefully he can hit over .300 again though, and have success with .RISP, as he's had over the years.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Uggla is pretty damn bad, defensively.
I don't understand why the Braves are keeping him at 2B/moving Prado to LF. The only reason to do that is to make Uggla's offense look more valuable.

Fangraphs has Uggla at +32 with the bat and -7 with the glove...+25

Fangraphs has Infante at +8.5 with the bat and -1.1 with the glove...+7.4

Like I said, his glove isn't that bad.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fangraphs has Uggla at +32 with the bat and -7 with the glove...+25

Fangraphs has Infante at +8.5 with the bat and -1.1 with the glove...+7.4

Like I said, his glove isn't that bad.

Isn't fangraphs based solely on UZR?

Anyway, you're looking at his career #'s.

His first year in the league he was 5.5 Fld, according to fangraphs. Since then, he's -10.8, 0.7, -9.9, -7.6. Basically, 3 horrible years, and he doesn't project to get any better, as he gets older. That's usually the way it works with a player's range.

Baseball-reference has Uggla as a horrible defensive player, too. They have Uggla with a negative dWAR every year he's been in the league.

Prado>Uggla defensively at 2B. The only reason Uggla stays at 2B is because his value (in terms of offense) is better, there.

Regarding Infante, what's the best position he plays, defensively?

Baseball-reference has him as a career 1.5 dWAR, and says he was pretty much above average at all positions last year (his best being 2B).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd rather have Uribe because if Infante's .babip regresses as expected, their offense won't be all that close. Infante's offensive production is way too dependent on his batting average, and batting average is difficult to predict. Bottom line is, Infante has little to no power, and he's not really a good .OBP guy, in the sense that he does not walk much.

Hopefully he can hit over .300 again though, and have success with .RISP, as he's had over the years.

Bill James has a wOBA for Infante projected at .329, while Uribe at .322. But you're right about the BABIP, it has a chance to regress and James' projection is BABIP heavy. The good news, Infante has been able to sustain his BABIP for 2 years in a row, so there's a chance that it's a new skill. The bad news, is that his GB % was the highest of his career at 42% and his LD% was 8 percentage points lower than the year before.

Personally, I would take Uribe because he's better at short defensively, but it's pretty close.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pecota and Zips haven't pulblished their 2011 projections yet, but Bill James has them as pretty closely bunched. Nonetheless, Infante isn't available and Uribe is.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn't fangraphs based solely on UZR?

Anyway, you're looking at his career #'s.

His first year in the league he was 5.5 Fld, according to fangraphs. Since then, he's -10.8, 0.7, -9.9, -7.6. Basically, 3 horrible years, and he doesn't project to get any better, as he gets older. That's usually the way it works with a player's range.

Baseball-reference has Uggla as a horrible defensive player, too. They have Uggla with a negative dWAR every year he's been in the league.

Prado>Uggla defensively at 2B. The only reason Uggla stays at 2B is because his value (in terms of offense) is better, there.

Regarding Infante, what's the best position he plays, defensively?

Baseball-reference has him as a career 1.5 dWAR, and says he was pretty much above average at all positions last year (his best being 2B).

I guess what I'm saying is over your head a bit. His defense is not bad enough to make up for how much better his bat is compared to Infante's. It is a pretty simple concept.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say I am looking at his career numbers, I wasn't.

I have no idea why you even brought up Prado, he doesn't matter at all when I am just comparing Uggla and Infante.

What Uggla does 3-4 years down the line doesn't matter at all, I am only talking about next year since Infante is only signed through next year. I didn't once try and say his range was going to get better or anything like that. I'm not arguing that the Braves should extend Uggla.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess what I'm saying is over your head a bit. His defense is not bad enough to make up for how much better his bat is compared to Infante's. It is a pretty simple concept.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say I am looking at his career numbers, I wasn't.

I have no idea why you even brought up Prado, he doesn't matter at all when I am just comparing Uggla and Infante.

What Uggla does 3-4 years down the line doesn't matter at all, I am only talking about next year since Infante is only signed through next year. I didn't once try and say his range was going to get better or anything like that. I'm not arguing that the Braves should extend Uggla.

You said "his glove isn't that bad." It is.

I know his bat outweighs whatever he does with the glove; it's the reason why he's in the big leagues.

I brought up Prado because he's a better defensive 2B. Considering 2B is a more important defensive position than LF, it's surprising to me that the Braves aren't even considering putting Uggla in LF. I guess that's what I was trying to say.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You said "his glove isn't that bad." It is.

I know his bat outweighs whatever he does with the glove; it's the reason why he's in the big leagues.

I brought up Prado because he's a better defensive 2B. Considering 2B is a more important defensive position than LF, it's surprising to me that the Braves aren't even considering putting Uggla in LF. I guess that's what I was trying to say.

Yes, his glove isn't bad enough to make Infante close to being as good of a player. Taking a sentence out of context doesn't make you right.

I thought it has been pretty obvious from what I have said in this thread that I have been talking about the overall package of both players, especially since that is what is actually important.

Ok, so Prado is a better defensive 2B and Pujols is more valuable than either of them...what is your point? I'm strictly talking about comparing Uggla and Infante.

Last edited by a moderator: