• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UFA Day: A Call for Inaction, My Take.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Devils are in a shitty spot heading into tomorrow.

Facts:

-They have a guy in Clarkson they would like to keep. Unfortunately, it's a weak year and that player is trying to get about $2M more per season than the Devils would likely want to pay, and realistically about $3M more than he's worth.

- The only other player who could be considered a really good offensive threat to score is Nathan Horton. He's had one healthy season in the past 5 years. He's undergoing surgery this off season on his shoulder. That scares me.

- Vinny, Briere, Elias, and a few others have all been signed, so that means there is even less offensive production available than before.

- There are only a few young guys out there that see like they might be able to produce (Stalberg, Brunner, Bozak) Because it's a weak year and they're all young they're going to get over paid.

- AND FINALLY NEXT YEAR'S UFAs as of this wrting ARE:

Top Guys BASED OFF AAV OF EXPIRING CONTRACTS:

Heatley
Gaborik
Vanek
Marleau
Lundqvist
Bouwmeester
Boyle
Stastny
Phaneuf
Miller
Sedin, H
Sedin, D
Cammalleri
Timonen
Kiprusoff
Markov
Kessel
Pominville
Hemsky
Bergeron
Gionta
Brodeur
Hiller
Legwand

Other Notables:

Pavelski
Michalek
Callahan
IT GOES ON AND ON

NHL Free Agents

There are about 15 guys on that list that are worth more than Clarkson and Horton.

UNFORTUNATELY, the Devils are in a bad spot because it's not like they can say, let's wait and add some offense next year, because they can't afford to suck this season with no first round pick.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree next year the ufa class is a lot better.

I agree the devils can't not do anything now otherwise I think this current roster can miss the playoffs.

Would feel a lot better with some fresh blood. To be honest I think its too little to late

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, another interesting thing to mull over. One of the big writers, can't remember who now, suggested that the Devils might not lose their pick at all next year. This was about 3 weeks ago, but he speculated that Lou had talked things over with Bettman and was given certain assurances that the Devils would win an appeal. That's why Lou didn't forfeit the pick last year.

I find it highly unlikely we get our pick back, but we'll see.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Heck I'd be more comfortable bringing in a guy like Hemsky for a late pick than committing big money to anyone tomorrow.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I heard same as you from the commit section of TV. Don't know how they could appeal when its been so long

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My wishlist for tomorrow basically looks like:

1. Ryder $4M for 3yrs
2. Weiss $4 for 5yrs
3. Clarkson $5M for 5yrs
4. Bozak $4.5M for 5yrs
5. Stalberg $3M for 2yrs

That's the most I would pay for those guys. We'll see what happens. Obviously, we're not signing all them, but that's the order I think makes the most sense.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would be too frustrated if Lou gives us the exact same team as last year aside from the goalie situation. Agree with not overspending on a second tier UFA. Still holding out hope for a Bobby Ryan deal because that would make this team awesome.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep seeing a lot of Clowe talk with Devils

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keep seeing a lot of Clowe talk with Devils

TG is indicating that it's a really, really strong possibility that the Devils have already agreed to a deal with Clowe. Of course he cites Uncle Lou's clandestine tendencies in noting that there won't be anything announced until noon roles around. Frankly, since we're all in agreement that Clarkson isn't a top 3 and is a top 6 at best, this potential clowe deal probably makes way more sense.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TG is indicating that it's a really, really strong possibility that the Devils have already agreed to a deal with Clowe. Of course he cites Uncle Lou's clandestine tendencies in noting that there won't be anything announced until noon roles around. Frankly, since we're all in agreement that Clarkson isn't a top 3 and is a top 6 at best, this potential clowe deal probably makes way more sense.

Yeah, just saw McKenzie or Dregger tweet that Clarkson likely to get 7 years at upwards of 6 million. NO f-ing way would I come close to that term or $$$ amount for Clarky. Hard to blame him for taking that kind of deal though.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson = Gomez 2.0. Had a great year right before become a UFA, got a big head and wanted a big contract. Got the contract and of course couldn't live up to it. Same will happen with Clarkson. I like the guy, but if I were him I would take less just to have less pressure.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think even if we sign people this year, we still have a buyout, Marty, Tallinder are coming off the books and we always have the trade route to go. As long as it's not some crazy, crippling deal I think we'll be ok.

As for getting the first back, I was thinking that but hadn't read about it. It's been long enough, the dust has settled, everyone knows you mean business now. Give us the pick back.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe for Bettman it was a, "Hey let us tell you we are taking your first round pick to keep other teams from doing the same thing until we fix it in the CBA." Who knows...

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Horton said he doesnt want to come to NJ because he doesnt want the pressure of the NY market... yet another problem we face from the outsiders. If they only knew the NJ media is nothing like the other big media markets

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With no public notice of the penalty and other insane contracts signed I dont see how the devils could lose an appeal if i remember correctly the ruling stated that the devils didnt intend to circumvent the cap..

Clowe will be a good clarkson replacement if the contract is right. If lou gives him 4-5 million and clarkson gets the same type of deal what gives? Clowe did habe 3 concussions last year

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no public notice of the penalty and other insane contracts signed I dont see how the devils could lose an appeal if i remember correctly the ruling stated that the devils didnt intend to circumvent the cap..

Didnt stop Bettman from fucking us over anyway :/

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a link to the first round pick rumors or was it in a radio/TV interview? I'd love to see that.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a link to the first round pick rumors or was it in a radio/TV interview? I'd love to see that.

Nasty I haven't looked yet but TSN.ca usually keeps on top of the stuff pretty good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple guys on that list would be something..part of the reason I want Bozak this year is because him and Kessel are good friends. Would one follow the other?

Lou is creative..he can use the money from this year and still find a way to grab one of those guys. Heatley could probably be had now but he's in terrible shape. Vanek , Pavelski or Kessel would be my top choices.

And like previous posters said we have some large contracts coming off next season.