• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Type A free agents

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider that but I'd be ok with bringing in someone as well, if they decide to do it

Other than CJ I have almost zero interest in any other SP FA

i don't think the Rangers are looking to make very many changes.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider that but I'd be ok with bringing in someone as well, if they decide to do it

Other than CJ I have almost zero interest in any other SP FA

I'm in the same boat. I don't see any FA pitchers out there that offer more upside than our current guys.

I'm still not sold on Feliz in the rotation though. I see more value as having a guy that could come in and basically remove the last inning from the other team. I think toying with the rotation this last spring messed up his mind for when he was closing, and took a few months to get back into the shutdown mindset. I'm sure he could be a starter, but we know he can be a dominant closer.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA, what about making a decent money offer to Heath Bell? I know he said he wants to stay in SD, but if you beat their offer by $1M then maybe he moves. Would be funny if we got him for nothing after SD had such a high asking price.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the same boat. I don't see any FA pitchers out there that offer more upside than our current guys.

I'm still not sold on Feliz in the rotation though. I see more value as having a guy that could come in and basically remove the last inning from the other team. I think toying with the rotation this last spring messed up his mind for when he was closing, and took a few months to get back into the shutdown mindset. I'm sure he could be a starter, but we know he can be a dominant closer.

i have to believe that Feliz comes into ST as the team closer.

i don't see any FA SP that is an upgrade on CJ. and the available SP that might be available thru the trade route will probably cost more than the team is willing to give up.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA, what about making a decent money offer to Heath Bell? I know he said he wants to stay in SD, but if you beat their offer by $1M then maybe he moves. Would be funny if we got him for nothing after SD had such a high asking price.

Bell openly stated during the trade talks between SD and Texas that if the trade happened at the end of the season he return to SD. he has no interest in pitching anywhere but SD even if Texas offered a million a year more

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell openly stated during the trade talks between SD and Texas that if the trade happened at the end of the season he return to SD. he has no interest in pitching anywhere but SD even if Texas offered a million a year more

I know. But talking is one thing, leaving six figures on the table because you don't want to leave a town you like for 7 months a year for the next 3 years is something else.

I'd like to approach STL about that Rcepzensky guy from STL? High GB% and a lefty. Probably why they won't give him up, but I'd at least ask. We need lefty RP's that keep the ball down.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have to believe that Feliz comes into ST as the team closer.

i don't see any FA SP that is an upgrade on CJ. and the available SP that might be available thru the trade route will probably cost more than the team is willing to give up.

I only say it as an option CJ leaving via FA

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You got a link to that quote?

I have a hard time believing that there is free agent on earth that would ever make a statement like that. The players union, not to mention his agent, would be all over his butt.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

You got a link to that quote?

I have a hard time believing that there is free agent on earth that would ever make a statement like that. The players union, not to mention his agent, would be all over his butt.

this is from before the trade deadline:

Bell told Scott Miller of CBSSports.com that he would be willing to take a discount to re-sign with the Padres after the season (Twitter link). "I said I'd take a discount, and I want to stay here," said Bell. "Everyone knows that."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and there's this from a few days ago:

Byrnes says San Diego will likely offer Heath Bell arbitration, according to Dan Hayes of the North County Times (on Twitter). Bell is a Type A free agent, as MLBTR learned earlier today. If he declines arbitration to sign elsewhere, the Padres will obtain two draft picks in 2012. However, Bell has indicated that he will accept.

this is a man who would rather pitch in SD than make more money

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and there's this from a few days ago:

Byrnes says San Diego will likely offer Heath Bell arbitration, according to Dan Hayes of the North County Times (on Twitter). Bell is a Type A free agent, as MLBTR learned earlier today. If he declines arbitration to sign elsewhere, the Padres will obtain two draft picks in 2012. However, Bell has indicated that he will accept.

this is a man who would rather pitch in SD than make more money

And is a guy who pissed off his GM and owner royally when he made those statements. He went from a top trade piece to a guy no one wanted to pay anything for. SD still will offer arb, but it isn't all roses between the FO and that guy I'm sure.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* C.C. Sabathia, Yankees - 95.930 (can opt out)
* Brandon Phillips, Reds - 91.518 (club option)
* Albert Pujols, Cardinals - 95.200
* Prince Fielder, Brewers - 91.200
* C.J. Wilson, Rangers - 90.988
* David Ortiz, Red Sox - 86.000
* Ryan Madson, Phillies - 82.948
* Rafael Soriano, Yankees - 82.217 (can opt out)
* Heath Bell, Padres - 81.437
* Carlos Beltran, Giants - 80.879 (cannot be offered arbitration)
* Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox - 80.292
* Ramon Hernandez, Reds - 78.947
* Roy Oswalt, Phillies - 78.350
* Michael Cuddyer, Twins - 77.671
* Josh Willingham, Athletics - 77.534
* Kyle Farnsworth, Rays - 76.586 (club option)
* Kelly Johnson, Blue Jays - 74.725
* Matt Capps, Twins - 73.788
* Darren Oliver, Rangers - 72.880
* Jose Reyes, Mets - 77.249
* Jimmy Rollins, Phillies - 76.720
* Francisco Rodriguez, Brewers - 75.671
* Octavio Dotel, Cardinals - 70.922 (club option)
* Takashi Saito, Brewers - 69.627
* Francisco Cordero, Reds - 68.486 (club option)

which do we have interest in?

maybe CJ and 2 from the bold

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe CJ and 2 from the bold

Wish list? Sure. Want list? CJ is the only one. Pujols and Feilder cost too much, Oswalt will want the final contract. Means he will want 3-4 years, and I don't want a pitcher that has been in the NL his whole life coming to the AL and pitching that late in his career. I'm lazy, but seems like Roy is around 35-36.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish list? Sure. Want list? CJ is the only one. Pujols and Feilder cost too much, Oswalt will want the final contract. Means he will want 3-4 years, and I don't want a pitcher that has been in the NL his whole life coming to the AL and pitching that late in his career. I'm lazy, but seems like Roy is around 35-36.

Oswalt is 34. i know Pujols & Fielder will cost too much but one can wish. if all we get is CJ and a left-hand reliever to replace Oliver i'm good

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oswalt is 34. i know Pujols & Fielder will cost too much but one can wish. if all we get is CJ and a left-hand reliever to replace Oliver i'm good

Yeah that lefty RP is what I've been looking for as well...man the picking are T-H-I-N.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that lefty RP is what I've been looking for as well...man the picking are T-H-I-N.

well the Rangers are going hard to keep Michael Gonzalez so that's one lefty and i was hoping to get Javier Lopez but he's re-signing with SF

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Feliz into the rotation is not going to happen. It's good fodder for message board debate, but the truth is I think Nolan learned from this year and their attempt to do that. Trust me, if Feliz had been so dominant during ST as a SP there is no way they would have let him return to the BP. Especially once Hunter went down. If he were so solid they would have moved him to the rotation, and Ogando to the closer's spot. But my guess is he wasn't as good as some tout in ST as a starter, thus the reason he wound up in the BP once the season started.

As for free agents... Texas needs to be very competitive in going after CJ, but not stupid. The FO knows that, and if CJ doesn't want to be reasonable, perhaps Buehrle will be. Oswalt would be okay if we got him on the cheap for the purposes of hopefully providing some stability on the back end of the rotation, and I don't want to spend the money to get Fielder or Pujols. Offense is not this team's problem and signing one of those two would likely jeapoirdize our ability to resign some key pieces on the team.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Feliz into the rotation is not going to happen. It's good fodder for message board debate, but the truth is I think Nolan learned from this year and their attempt to do that. Trust me, if Feliz had been so dominant during ST as a SP there is no way they would have let him return to the BP. Especially once Hunter went down. If he were so solid they would have moved him to the rotation, and Ogando to the closer's spot. But my guess is he wasn't as good as some tout in ST as a starter, thus the reason he wound up in the BP once the season started.

As for free agents... Texas needs to be very competitive in going after CJ, but not stupid. The FO knows that, and if CJ doesn't want to be reasonable, perhaps Buehrle will be. Oswalt would be okay if we got him on the cheap for the purposes of hopefully providing some stability on the back end of the rotation, and I don't want to spend the money to get Fielder or Pujols. Offense is not this team's problem and signing one of those two would likely jeapoirdize our ability to resign some key pieces on the team.[/QUOTE]

if you listen to Nolan i don't think that even signing a Fielder or Pujols is going to affect the Rangers keeping the real core of the team together

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just b/c you want him to stay closer doesn't mean he will, and they needed a closer end of story on the Feliz debate, they had a very successful one from the year before and went with him, and was probably the right decision, but the fact of the matter is that Feliz DID look good starting and it was said by many in and outside the Rangers organization

I didn't say he was going into the rotation, but if CJ signs elsewhere and they sign a true closer then I would certainly explore the possibility