• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tulo's Extension

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a stud, but signing ANYBODY to a 10 year deal is, IMHO, a bad idea.

What happens if he gets hurt this season? What happens if he becomes Adrian Beltre? The Rox will be handcuffed with this thing for the entire decade.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. Not that I would wish a broken wrist on anyone, but Tulo's is already weak. It's probably okay to wish for complications.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it when a player stays his whole career with one team (Ripken, Gwynn, etc) and a super long contract is one way to make that happen. But it seems safer to do a series of 5 year ones...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it when a player stays his whole career with one team (Ripken, Gwynn, etc) and a super long contract is one way to make that happen. But it seems safer to do a series of 5 year ones...

I agree that player/team identity is nice, but it doesn't really exist anymore. Of course there are the few exceptions (Jeter, potentially Tulo and Longoria, obviously Lincecum, Cain, Posey and Bumgarner), but FA has killed that as a possibility, and the large amounts of money getting paid to these players creates too many Adrian Beltre types to make the life-time contracts make sense.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that player/team identity is nice, but it doesn't really exist anymore. Of course there are the few exceptions (Jeter, potentially Tulo and Longoria, obviously Lincecum, Cain, Posey and Bumgarner), but FA has killed that as a possibility, and the large amounts of money getting paid to these players creates too many Adrian Beltre types to make the life-time contracts make sense.

Oh man I hope we keep those 4 long enough for them to be our 'identity'...fingers crossed.

I think we agree superlong deals are a big risk, but gotta credit the Rox for jumping in with both feet and saying let's do this.

Yankees also managed to keep Rivera and Posada all this time too.

I guess a player can play MOST of his career somewhere and still be considered that team's 'identity' (Willie Mays being the prime example, but more recently Frank Thomas and Will Clark come to mind)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man I hope we keep those 4 long enough for them to be our 'identity'...fingers crossed.

I think we agree superlong deals are a big risk, but gotta credit the Rox for jumping in with both feet and saying let's do this.

Yankees also managed to keep Rivera and Posada all this time too.

I guess a player can play MOST of his career somewhere and still be considered that team's 'identity' (Willie Mays being the prime example, but more recently Frank Thomas and Will Clark come to mind)

I think this is all the fans can hope for today. Junior is an M, Bonds is a Giant, Sosa is a Cub. What about McGwire? Clemens? Boggs? Johnson?

Today's players are becoming more like Rollie Fingers and Nolan Ryan (and Reggie Jackson, Ricky Henderson and Dave Winfield as well) then George Brett, Cal Ripkin or Tony Gwynn.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I completely agree. I like it when the teams hang on to the players they brought up from the farm for a long period of time.

Tulo's deal is very risky and kinda dissapointing becuase in 3 years when he was a FA, SF would have likely been high on his list of teams wanting to go to. I never had my heart set on it, but it was in the back of my mind. But from 2014-2019, they are playing him $20 million per! Yikes!

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is all the fans can hope for today. Junior is an M, Bonds is a Giant, Sosa is a Cub. What about McGwire? Clemens? Boggs? Johnson?

Today's players are becoming more like Rollie Fingers and Nolan Ryan (and Reggie Jackson, Ricky Henderson and Dave Winfield as well) then George Brett, Cal Ripkin or Tony Gwynn.

+1

Total agreement. Which is why it's nice to see Tulo get that deal even though he may kill us for a decade.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. I like it when the teams hang on to the players they brought up from the farm for a long period of time.

Tulo's deal is very risky and kinda dissapointing becuase in 3 years when he was a FA, SF would have likely been high on his list of teams wanting to go to. I never had my heart set on it, but it was in the back of my mind. But from 2014-2019, they are playing him $20 million per! Yikes!

With salary inflation if he stays healthy and this good that will be a bargain by 2017. That of course is a big if and the reason there's a risk here (for both parties, probably greater for the Rox than Tulo).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With salary inflation if he stays healthy and this good that will be a bargain by 2017. That of course is a big if and the reason there's a risk here (for both parties, probably greater for the Rox than Tulo).

And anytime the Rox are taking a risk, it's a good thing. Unless the Dodgers get Carl Crawford (which they won't), our friends in the mountains are the Giants stiffest competition for the next three years. Hyperbolic comment? Contingent on Dexter Fowler and EY's development?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And anytime the Rox are taking a risk, it's a good thing. Unless the Dodgers get Carl Crawford (which they won't), our friends in the mountains are the Giants stiffest competition for the next three years. Hyperbolic comment? Contingent on Dexter Fowler and EY's development?

That sounds right, but 3 years is an eternity to project. Look at the difference between the 2007 Giants and 2010 Giants.

I'd say the next 2 years it's Giants vs Rox with outside shot of Padres involved.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche. I'm on this three-year plan kick, being both a Warriors' and Niners' fan (sooner, please). Also, the D-Backs could right the ship if B-Webb is 100% for the rest of his career (not seeming likely), and they get another strong top of the rotation arm (less likely?). I do like their line-up, though. I wish Stephen Drew were in another division.