• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

True Detective

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I get cowardice... its a normal human trait... but it seemed liked they forced it too much... I mean, if someone was asking about a girl for so long, then why did the cops never pick him up... that's weird to itself...

Well back then it was a different time, I am sure in 1990 technology wasn't as advanced and it made it harder to find people you were looking for and wanted to question. He seemed pretty isolated in an isolated town. Easier to hide back then it seems.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well back then it was a different time, I am sure in 1990 technology wasn't as advanced and it made it harder to find people you were looking for and wanted to question. He seemed pretty isolated in an isolated town. Easier to hide back then it seems.

sure, but he said he went into town always to ask if anyone saw the girl... if a creepy(one eyed) black man was searching for a white girl, people would find that weird...

and how can you follow a detective(even if he is retired) and never get caught?? that is pretty bad detectiving…

Just so much about that plot line that was forced by to let the story go forward...

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, but he said he went into town always to ask if anyone saw the girl... if a creepy(one eyed) black man was searching for a white girl, people would find that weird...

and how can you follow a detective(even if he is retired) and never get caught?? that is pretty bad detectiving…

Just so much about that plot line that was forced by to let the story go forward...

This can be applied to whatever happened to Hoyt. The outright threat of a detective and his family, and driving a detective out into the woods and makes a greater threat toward him and his job and then we don't hear from him ever again. 3 minutes of air time and he is gone....that was odd.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure out what the final flash back scene to Vietnam was supposed to represent.

I looked at it as the place he felt most in control, maybe even most comfortable. There's no one there to place limitations on him and the limitations he placed on himself didn't exist there either. He didn't have to worry about his white partner backing up his thoughts/ideas to other dectectives because w/o that back up. His thoughts/ideas weren't given ample credence despite Wayne being the best detective on the job. Yet he limits himself as well by not making it an issue to anyone, but Roland. That's where his resentment for Amelia comes into play. She has that self-assertiveness that he lacks. Out in the jungle none of that is an issue. It may've taken him 70 years or whatever, but he's finally come to a place in his mind where he's at peace.

On a side note: Roland had some squabbles.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good, not nearly as good as season 1. I had hopes when they mentioned season 1 guys there may have been a cameo of sorts, or somehow those crimes from season 1 was connected to the crimes in season 3....

Anyways, about the marriage drama throughout the season. Agree with what most have posted about, it was just blah, also he makes this enormously large career sacrifice for her, but afterward there never seemed to be any love between the two, she never seemed to appreciate the sacrifice he made for her and he never really expressed great love toward her as he continued to be a jerk in their relationship, but yet he makes this huge career move when they are just dating? I thought after hearing that we were going to find out their relationship got better, but it never seemed to be a happy relationship.

Also, they never talked about how the wife died? Maybe I missed it? But I was left wondering if she was a casualty of Hoyt? But then again, we never hear anything more about Hoyt after he makes the threat to Wayne....He just, disappears...

Then comes the ending. There's some speculation that Wayne's memory came to when he drank the glass of water and he knew then who Julie was and her daughter and he knew where he was. But kept the story untold as to not stir up what Julie had now. But regardless, doesn't he owe this outcome to his partner who really got screwed by this entire investigation, mostly due to Wayne's persistence?

And then Wayne's son grabbing the piece of paper of Julie's address at the end. Are we to think he took it to further the investigation? He took it to give to the female reporter who was interviewing Wayne?

I don't know, it was a good season, way better than season 2, but nowhere near the level of season 1. Felt like there was a little pay off in the end, but lots of questions left unanswered and some major holes never filled.

It is almost as if they should have one more episode to tie up the shit that ain't tied up. Case is tied up after all this time from their perspective but no one knows the truth but them. Old wifey dreams need to help him solve her death too or something.

Great ride without much of a climax.

I thought Dorff was awesome and with the exception of one scene was about perfect. Those two should get some awards.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is almost as if they should have one more episode to tie up the shit that ain't tied up. Case is tied up after all this time from their perspective but no one knows the truth but them. Old wifey dreams need to help him solve her death too or something.

I thought Dorff was awesome and with the exception of one scene was about perfect. Those two should get some awards.

Hold on cowboy. The only 2 people thus far who know the WHOLE truth are Wayne and Amelia and Wayne's last episode might've robbed him of that knowledge. Far as Roland goes he thinks the girl's body is buried in that church cemetery. The question is what does Wayne's son do with the address he put in his pocket.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on cowboy. The only 2 people thus far who know the WHOLE truth are Wayne and Amelia and Wayne's last episode might've robbed him of that knowledge. Far as Roland goes he thinks the girl's body is buried in that church cemetery. The question is what does Wayne's son do with the address he put in his pocket.

You are right, only one knows the whole truth from A to Z but as far as the case being solved, those two knew the whos and whats.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the season but hated the ending. A slow burn and hints at a larger pedo ring that turned out to be nothing. Smokey eyed black guy just tells us what happened in the end. No show down with Hoyt. No consequences for them murdering an ex cop.

Overall the weakest story of the three seasons and my god the marriage drama was offensive to my time as a viewer.
^^^this x1000

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liked this season a lot. The memory problems with Purple as an old man gave it an ominous, isolated vibe. But, and I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but what was the deal with the very last scene of him in Viet Nam? Significance?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Detective: 6 Burning Questions We Still Have After the Season 3 Finale

What was with that final image of Hays in Vietnam?

At the very end of the finale, after we flash back to Hays and Amelia mending fences and walking off together, we see a quick image of Hays back in the Vietnam jungle as a tracker — and that was the final image of the season. Coming at the end like that, it must be significant, but what did it mean? Our best guess is metaphorical: Hays has always been a searcher, stretching back to his days as a young soldier, and maybe by dropping the Purcell case and embracing Amelia, he found what he was looking for and finally stopped searching. But there’s another theory out there…

Did Hays die on that front porch?

The last we see of Hays in 2015, he’s sitting in a rocking chair on his front porch with West and his family, enjoying some iced tea. But the sight of his grandkids riding bikes in the street — just like the Purcell kids — triggers a vision in his mind, first of him and Amelia in 1980, and then the Vietnam scene. Is it possible Hays’ life was flashing before his eyes as he drew his final breath, hit with a sudden ailment that takes his life? We’ll never know for sure, of course, but it does give us something to ponder… at least until Season 4 gets here.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the very end of the finale, after we flash back to Hays and Amelia mending fences and walking off together, we see a quick image of Hays back in the Vietnam jungle as a tracker — and that was the final image of the season. Coming at the end like that, it must be significant, but what did it mean? Our best guess is metaphorical: Hays has always been a searcher, stretching back to his days as a young soldier, and maybe by dropping the Purcell case and embracing Amelia, he found what he was looking for and finally stopped searching. But there’s another theory out there…

The last we see of Hays in 2015, he’s sitting in a rocking chair on his front porch with West and his family, enjoying some iced tea. But the sight of his grandkids riding bikes in the street — just like the Purcell kids — triggers a vision in his mind, first of him and Amelia in 1980, and then the Vietnam scene. Is it possible Hays’ life was flashing before his eyes as he drew his final breath, hit with a sudden ailment that takes his life? We’ll never know for sure, of course, but it does give us something to ponder… at least until Season 4 gets here.
I could be way off base but I had taken it as a sign that there was closure. At some point he had to stop tracking the enemy in Vietnam and at this point he could stop looking for clues to this case for the first time since he started.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liked this season a lot. The memory problems with Purple as an old man gave it an ominous, isolated vibe. But, and I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but what was the deal with the very last scene of him in Viet Nam? Significance?
I think it shows him having a good time with his son, daughter, and other family members. He should be happy right? But his mind wonders back off to Vietnam where he is alone scouring the jungle. I think it symbolizes a man that never left the jungle and never can, mentally.

Just my stupid interpretation, I’m sure what is posted above is more accurate

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it shows him having a good time with his son, daughter, and other family members. He should be happy right? But his mind wonders back off to Vietnam where he is alone scouring the jungle. I think it symbolizes a man that never left the jungle and never can, mentally.

i like this best of all the armchair colombo theories i have read so far....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats also pretty much my exact interpretation, too. The war and hunting is a theme that they touch on a lot in the season. He always needed something to hunt.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this idea, even though i disagree about the meaning, it supports my idea that the whole story is told by the 2015 version of him

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts exactly. I just finished it and I thought it was excellent, but I'm looking forward to the non-existant episode 9.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that lack luster season finale i feel like the writers made me carry their water....

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or maybe the whole season wad just a bad LSD trip he was having while fighting in Nam and that last scene was him coming out of it. :thumb:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Woody Harrelson's "you don't mow another man's lawn" line from the movie, Kingpin, got turned on his character in episode 3 of True Detective. Inside joke, ya think?

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got to watch season 1, Too bad we couldn't get more than 8 episodes from Harrison and McConaughey, McConaughey was pretty great in the series. Fantastic season 1