• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Battles

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Tomsula bring breath of fresh air to rejuvenate 49ers? | CSN Bay Area

seems like Tomsula already has brought a breath of fresh air? Or is that just natural player optimism, prior to a season?

anyway, we all know that goes out the window VERY fast, following consecutive losses. We have to avoid an "0-fer" start to this season.

Great piece by Matt M. Very reasonable. I remember Joe Montana crediting the coaching change in 1989 for helping the 49ers repeat as super bowl champs. Was a tough season last year and things got stale. New head coach and changes in coaching staff can help rejuvinate the players. especially with a player friendly coach like Tomsula. But as you say, a losing streak and it can all go out the window.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fullback Trey Millard Eager to Make 49ers Debut

i REALLY like the very last sentence.

his receiving stats is surprising (to me) for a FB.

He was more of an H-back in college. I see him as in competition for one of the TE spots as much as at FB. Not that he'd line up at TE, but that he'd be a guy they'd eye in a move role similar to what Delanie Walker was a few years ago.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeAndre Smelter is close to being activated. He is reportedly going to be ready to play week 1 and not be on the NFI list. I thought he was going to redshirt this year, but he is only 3 weeks away from being activated.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kendall Hunter's knee is 100%

We are going to have a great running back core

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kendall Hunter's knee is 100%

We are going to have a great running back core

Well, we were saying that last year at this time, and at the end of the season it was looking awfully grim.

I've always liked Hunter, and would like to see him get more involved. The start to his career reminds me a lot of Justin Forsett. I always liked Forsett, and thought he should see more playing time, but it never seemed to come together for him until Baltimore. I think Hunter could be similar. I'd love to see us extend him on the cheap.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bottom line: Why the 49ers would sign Lloyd last season was a bit of a head-scratcher. It was also strange that the 49ers would surrender a fourth-round pick for Johnson and then cut him after one season. This year, the 49ers appear to be determined to get younger and faster. Although they have avoided drafting the top-flight wide receivers since spending a first-round pick on A.J. Jenkins, the 49ers have added some promising mid-round talent. Smelter is not likely to make an impact this season, but this could be the year Patton steps up and makes a solid contribution. Boldin and Smith should be a good one-two punch with their differing styles that serve as a complement to one another.

Yep yep yep!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cutting Johnson had everything to do with his price tag. Still, it's not like that was a mystery when they brought him in. That was not a good move for the organization. Though with three picks within the twenty after that pick was made, I'm not sure it ultimately made all that much difference. Still, 4th rounders are valuable picks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting Johnson had everything to do with his price tag. Still, it's not like that was a mystery when they brought him in. That was not a good move for the organization. Though with three picks within the twenty after that pick was made, I'm not sure it ultimately made all that much difference. Still, 4th rounders are valuable picks.

I think the organization saw SJ as key piece to a title run and overlooked the long-term.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
granted he got injured and it MAY have still been lingering?

an injury after the deal isn't something you can plan for.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
granted he got injured and it MAY have still been lingering?

an injury after the deal isn't something you can plan for.

SJ's injury affected him through much of last year. He tried playing on it for a few weeks but was not effective so SJ was placed on IR. I think he was cut for salary cap reasons as Crims stated above. The season flamed out. It turned out the receiving corps didn't fit and work out as anticipated. SJ more or less was a duplication of Crabtree. A possession receiver that lacks down the field speed. They brought in Torrey Smith because he fits what this team needs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SJ's injury affected him through much of last year. He tried playing on it for a few weeks but was not effective so SJ was placed on IR. I think he was cut for salary cap reasons as Crims stated above. The season flamed out. It turned out the receiving corps didn't fit and work out as anticipated. SJ more or less was a duplication of Crabtree. A possession receiver that lacks down the field speed. They brought in Torrey Smith because he fits what this team needs.

ok, and if it was for cap and/or non performance reasons, then Baalke made a bad decision trading a 4th.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, and if it was for cap and/or non performance reasons, then Baalke made a bad decision trading a 4th.
Yes, as they say hindsight is 20/20. Had SJ helped get us to another Super Bowl, then no one would be talking about it

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hope to start reading positive things about Brandon Thomas. He doesn't need to be a terror right off, not even start right off, but would like to see positive things.

We supposedly got a lot of value for him, and coupled with his IR year, would be nice if he comes on strong.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hope to start reading positive things about Brandon Thomas. He doesn't need to be a terror right off, not even start right off, but would like to see positive things.

We supposedly got a lot of value for him, and coupled with his IR year, would be nice if he comes on strong.

It would be really nice. He should be a very good OG, and should potentially be a swing tackle in a pinch. We need him to develop sooner rather than later.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It would be really nice. He should be a very good OG, and should potentially be a swing tackle in a pinch. We need him to develop sooner rather than later.

since he played a good LT in college, has 'long' arms, and is athletic, hoping for starting LT after Staley? Right NOW that is asking a lot considering his red shirt year. But if he was 2nd round value, there's a chance.

anyway, if it turns out he's a solid OG, no problem here.