• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading Lincecum?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forrest Hump, Pump Friction, Slappy Fill More...

Why am I never allowed to rep, cal?! I feel like I share the wealth plenty. Can I help that cal types funny statements?!

I still love you, SportsHoopla. I understand the need for rules and order. Rep orgies are not sanctioned by The Hoop! After someone made this, :stfu:, Sports SportsHoopla can do no wrong in my eyes.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie being innacurate and wrong on just about every level is a fact. Whether it's a good movie or not is opinion. I think it's a well acted and well shot movie, I just personally hate it for being such a bad portrayal of my job. I don't know why you're getting so defensive about it.

I don't believe I was "defensive." You may look at Hurt Locker as I view legal dramas -- the vast majority are inaccurate and hinge on impossible legal tactics (e.g. Pacino in And Justice For All -- he'd be disciplined and a mistrial likely would be called). If so, and since I've never been on a bomb squad, what is it that Hurt Locker got wrong?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, we simply have different ideas of what a MAJOR film is. Granted, I missed the LOR films (which I agree are over-rated), but VERY rarely are the top budget films of the year nominated. Usually the top budget films are the schlep that is typically produced (A-Team, Transformers, ID4, etc). LOR (I, II, and III), Inception (another one I missed), Titanic and Avatar are REALLY the only ones I would rank as MAJOR budget Hollywood films that got nominated. I will accept Jaws as well, but that was really the movie that launched the MAJOR Hollywood film, so it really does not belong.

The difference between you and I here, I think, is that I take the entire production into account for best picture. Although I was not a fan of the LOR films, they were impressive pieces of work (costumes, sfx, cinematography, etc) so I have no prob including them. Writing is not the ONLY thing, IMHO, that should be taken into account for Best Pic. Heck, if that were the case, Gran Torrino should have been nominated, but I am OK with it not getting the nod because the acting was SOOOO bad.

Agreed. I would add that writing, while not solely determinative of a films worth, is ESSENTIAL to that determination. And on that score, Avatar is a piece of crap. All elements have to come together, IMO, for an Oscar nod: writing, acting, direction, editing, etc.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tz challenges. Don't take it personally. He is just a lawyer, therefore, asshole is his default setting. Like a dog, you just need to put him in his place a time or two, then he is as snuggly as they come...

:boink:

That's Counselor A-Hole to you. And that'll be $400.

:typing:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe I was "defensive." You may look at Hurt Locker as I view legal dramas -- the vast majority are inaccurate and hinge on impossible legal tactics (e.g. Pacino in And Justice For All -- he'd be disciplined and a mistrial likely would be called). If so, and since I've never been on a bomb squad, what is it that Hurt Locker got wrong?

Intro scene:

4 blocks of C4=20lbs? No, try 5 lbs. You don't need 4 blocks of C4 to dispose of a 155mm round anyway, you don't need a wagon. The situation that got the guy killed would have never happened because the bot could have taken 2 blocks taped to each other down there without the wagon. Also, his team should have been inside the truck and at the very least 400 meters away. Security is not an EOD job. If anybody were to shoot the guy with the phone, it would have been whoever else was on site maintaining security.

SFC James's first IED call:

The guys who called it in left their truck completely abandoned, hiding in some little spot behind the wall? First, you wouldn't leave the truck in the first place. Second, if you did, you take the sensitive items with you such as radios. You call in an IED threat and then don't maintain communication with the EOD team and they can't find you. Dumb. This also starts the pattern in the movie of a single truck full of guys being completely by themselves, which never, EVER happens.

This one is kind of nitpicking but whatever...James wanting to put the suit on instead of using the bot. Okay I get it, he's a "cowboy" they wanted to establish that, but NOBODY wants to wear the suit unless they have to. It has nothing to do with not wanting to go near the IED, it's because the suit is HOT AS FUCK with no air circulation and they're in IRAQ in the SUMMERTIME. Like I said, nitpicking, but I digress.

The part where he pulls up like 6 daisy-chained 155mm rounds...umm, no. The suit itself makes it an absolute bitch to even pick up one of those, they are fucking heavy. There'd be no point to putting 6 of those together anyway, or that many in the trunk of that car either. Also, he had no reason to not shoot the guy in the car. The part where he threw the smoke grenade was just silly.

Speaking of the car scene, you would never order your team members to go pull security on the top of some building, that's not his job. That's for the infantry or whoever else was there. Even if you would, you don't send him to clear some building all the way up to the roof by himself. Then he tells the colonel that he diffused like 800 IEDs. You don't even get to be the guy who wears the suit until you are a staff sergeant. He was one rank above, and given the fact that he wasn't old as fuck, I'll say he couldn't have had more than 3 deployments as a team leader. Even if he had been a team leader for 10 deployments(which would never happen) a 800 tally would still be kind of a stretch. Also, this took place one year after the war started. Where was he diffusing the other 800 bombs at?

The part with the British special forces team was stupid. First, and again, why are they out in the middle of nowhere by themselves? Why are 3 EOD techs who aren't specifically trained for combat other than weapons qualifications saving a special forces team that are getting their asses kicked. Why are they duking it out with a sniper instead of calling an air strike on his ass?

The scene where the Lt Col dies...you can never just choose to tag along on a mission without doing all the proper paperwork and being added to the trip ticket. In real life if they took a Lt Col out on mission unauthorized and left him outside by himself to get blown up, well, I don't think I need to say what the consequences would be.

The part where he goes outside the wire to find that kid's killer was the worst. It was retarded on so many levels. First, there's no way to sneak off a fob. If he were to outside the wire in ACU pants and a hoody, he wouldn't have made it back alive. Then he gets back in by telling the guy where a whorehouse is? Dumb. The dude trying to go find some kid's killer was just a stupid, WTF kind of scene in general even if you're not paying attention to how accurate it is.

Then there's the part where he gets his team member shot. They were there for post blast analysis, you can't just sneak off without anyone noticing. And they even mentioned it in the movie, going haji hunting is not EOD's job. Then he splits his guys up and one of them gets shot. Again, this would have severe consequences in real life. He would probably get stripped down to being a private in the VERY least.

Then at the end, despite his putting his team in danger every mission, getting a Lt Col killed and a team member shot over his bad decisions, you see him deployed again as a team leader still? The movie should have ended with him getting booted from the Army and maybe some prison time.

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of stuff out, but this type of logic runs throughout the movie. I get it, a lot of these absurdities were for character development and for drama, but they could have done that without sacrificing so much reality.