• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trades

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Phillies want to turn it around they need to take a different approach than most teams. They need to check the ego and be willing to pay some salaries of guys that may bring back some prospects in a trade. Instead of immediately disqualifying all the small market teams because they can't afford the contracts, the Phillies just need to agree to pay most of the salaries of the guys they are giving up. Instead of saying, "the only teams that could even afford him are the Yankees and Dodgers and they are not going to give up much in return because of the big contracts" they need to make them available to everyone by paying most of it. Like if Cliff Lee comes back and has a good start or two before the deadline maybe they offer him to the Royals. KC has a good young team but they are going to lose Shields in the off-season because they won't be able to pay him. But if they could get Lee for a run this year and have him next year with the Phillies paying most of it you have to think they'd consider giving up some prospects. Hell, the Cubs got the number 5 prospect in baseball and a couple other good prospects from the A's for those pitchers. Someone just needs to convince Amaro that it is ok to do it because you're not really "selling", by continuing to pay the veteran's contracts while they play for other teams you're actually "buying" prospects.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is certainly an option but I don't think Amaro is going to do anything.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Phillies want to turn it around they need to take a different approach than most teams. They need to check the ego and be willing to pay some salaries of guys that may bring back some prospects in a trade. Instead of immediately disqualifying all the small market teams because they can't afford the contracts, the Phillies just need to agree to pay most of the salaries of the guys they are giving up. Instead of saying, "the only teams that could even afford him are the Yankees and Dodgers and they are not going to give up much in return because of the big contracts" they need to make them available to everyone by paying most of it. Like if Cliff Lee comes back and has a good start or two before the deadline maybe they offer him to the Royals. KC has a good young team but they are going to lose Shields in the off-season because they won't be able to pay him. But if they could get Lee for a run this year and have him next year with the Phillies paying most of it you have to think they'd consider giving up some prospects. Hell, the Cubs got the number 5 prospect in baseball and a couple other good prospects from the A's for those pitchers. Someone just needs to convince Amaro that it is ok to do it because you're not really "selling", by continuing to pay the veteran's contracts while they play for other teams you're actually "buying" prospects.

To quote Shakespeare "...Aye, there's the rub..."

With Amaro in charge I don't see any normal type of rebuilding effort happening and I do not trust him to lead any effort

I wouldn't be surprised to see a news report with Amaro trading young players to Shady Acres retirement home for Pedro Martinez for the Phillies playoff "push"

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To quote Shakespeare "...Aye, there's the rub..."

With Amaro in charge I don't see any normal type of rebuilding effort happening and I do not trust him to lead any effort

I wouldn't be surprised to see a news report with Amaro trading young players to Shady Acres retirement home for Pedro Martinez for the Phillies playoff "push"

LOL at this

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict that Paps and AJ will be the 1st to go. Then Byrd. Lee might be gone after the break if he is healthy. Rollins could be dealt as well. Nobody wants Howard and there is no reason to deal Utley until we have a solid replacement. We will have to eat salary on everyone except Byrd. IMO.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before even thinking about who's on the trading block, the FO needs to decide what young players will be part of the team's future. For example, Asche at 3rd, Franco at 1st, Rupp/Joseph, catcher, Brown/Revere/Perkins/Gillies/Altherr outfielders, Hernandez infielder, Crawford ss.

So what is to be done? Look for 2 OFs and 2 infielders, throw them in the mix - down to the minors to compete with those I mentioned? Or are we expecting the prospects we get will somehow be MLB ready? No easy solutions here. Do we think that Baltimore's prospect stars are better than those of the Yankees or Braves, several of whom have been tossed around in potential trade talk? No real answers for any of this.

And with all this to think about, Amaro is excited that Galvis and Sizemore will be ready to help the Phillies very soon. Good grief.

Last edited by a moderator:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before even thinking about who's on the trading block, the FO needs to decide what young players will be part of the team's future. For example, Asche at 3rd, Franco at 1st, Rupp/Joseph, catcher, Brown/Revere/Perkins/Gillies/Altherr outfielders, Hernandez infielder, Crawford ss.

So what is to be done? Look for 2 OFs and 2 infielders, throw them in the mix - down to the minors to compete with those I mentioned? Or are we expecting the prospects we get will somehow be MLB ready? No easy solutions here. Do we think that Baltimore's prospect stars are better than those of the Yankees or Braves, several of whom have been tossed around in potential trade talk? No real answers for any of this.

And with all this to think about, Amaro is excited that Galvis and Sizemore will be ready to help the Phillies very soon. Good grief.

I would hope not. Also, I'm pretty sure Gillies was released a few weeks ago