• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Thoughts

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is never too early to make moves so here are two suggestions from me. Let me know your thoughts (and no I don't think JD will do either).

1 - Trade Vogelbach to KC for Hosmer. Great second half hitter and vet with playoff experience. The bad is he will be a free agent at end of year.

2 - Trade for Harvey. NY is too big of a distraction for this kid so Seattle should work perfectly for him. His value isn't what it once was, but he still has flashes of what made him a top MLB prospect. The cost? Not sure at this stage.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure if vogelbach would be enough for hosmer
But im down for both those players on the team, maybe Hosmer moreso than Harvey

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in the game thread... i suspect JD will make some moves for pitching help... this offense is loaded from the young guys he brought in.

I have to look at some of the pitching availability and see and also look at the farm but it would suck to lose any guys like Gamel or Motter for pitching but I suspect it will involve that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure if vogelbach would be enough for hosmer
But im down for both those players on the team, maybe Hosmer moreso than Harvey

You could be right about the Hosmer offer. We might have to add to it, but it would be a rental so I would not go too high for him

I like Harvey as a buy low candidate. Change of scenery could do him good and he could be a great RH-LH 1-2 punch with Paxton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in the game thread... i suspect JD will make some moves for pitching help... this offense is loaded from the young guys he brought in.

I have to look at some of the pitching availability and see and also look at the farm but it would suck to lose any guys like Gamel or Motter for pitching but I suspect it will involve that.

I wouldn't deal those guys. Too valuable in talent and cost. Find a taker for Vogelbach, Zunino (cough, cough), De Jong, Peterson, Lewis?...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, i like the idea of getting Harvey... with the shit going on in NY with him a change of scenery is needed.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't deal those guys. Too valuable in talent and cost. Find a taker for Vogelbach, Zunino (cough, cough), De Jong, Peterson, Lewis?...
Wouldn't want to lose those guys either but if they are to look for legit help at pitching.. it might. To me it still doesn't make any sense to trade for them then trade them. It will have to come from the farm. Boog powell is also an interesting name if Vogelbach is low on value.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catcher my number one concern if we could somehow address it. It's a black hole right now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catcher my number one concern if we could somehow address it. It's a black hole right now.

IF their current catching group can bunt, hit behind runners, and catch, I have no issues with them even if they hit .200. K-Nino is just empty outs.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wondering if we should try to trade Dyson. When Haniger comes back from the DL, there won't be enough room for everyone in the outfield. Out of Dyson, Heredia and Gamel, one of them will have to sit and don't want to see Gamel nor Heredia stuck in a platoon. I think they both perform better when they are in the lineup everyday. And with them both in the lineup, the only weak spot is catcher.

Segura
Haniger
Cano
Cruz
Seager
Valencia/Motter
Gamel
Heredia
Gosewich/Ruiz

That's probably the best lineup we have had since 2003....assuming the kids can keep up their current pace.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wondering if we should try to trade Dyson. When Haniger comes back from the DL, there won't be enough room for everyone in the outfield. Out of Dyson, Heredia and Gamel, one of them will have to sit and don't want to see Gamel nor Heredia stuck in a platoon. I think they both perform better when they are in the lineup everyday. And with them both in the lineup, the only weak spot is catcher.

Segura
Haniger
Cano
Cruz
Seager
Valencia/Motter
Gamel
Heredia
Gosewich/Ruiz

That's probably the best lineup we have had since 2003....assuming the kids can keep up their current pace.

I personally wouldn't trade him. Too many injuries this year and I like the fit of the four. I would platoon the 3 and give Haniger a day off every couple of weeks. That would be about 400 AB's over a course of a year for the three and Haniger would get closer to 600.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dyson's speed is a huge asset, and he showed that off when the Royals did what they did not long ago. With Motter, Gamel, and Herredia all showing some nice signs and having overlap in their positions, I wouldn't be surprised to see one swapped for a reliever.

I also think the FO sees Smyly's return as an acquisition, so I wouldn't put a whole lot of eggs in the "trade for starting pitching" basket.

We've done ok with Kuma, Miranda, and Gaillardo as our best 3 SP lately. Once we have our real rotation in place things may stabilize without having to trade for Harvey, who I think is pretty much an 18 year old boy in a man's body.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is never too early to make moves so here are two suggestions from me. Let me know your thoughts (and no I don't think JD will do either).

1 - Trade Vogelbach to KC for Hosmer. Great second half hitter and vet with playoff experience. The bad is he will be a free agent at end of year.

2 - Trade for Harvey. NY is too big of a distraction for this kid so Seattle should work perfectly for him. His value isn't what it once was, but he still has flashes of what made him a top MLB prospect. The cost? Not sure at this stage.

I'm not ready to give up on Vogelbach just yet, but if we get to the home stretch with a lead in playoff positioning while his value gets us something to sustain that positioning then I say move him. I'm not going to allow myself to get too high on this current stretch because there is a ton of ball to go; just as selling the farm a few weeks ago was just as premature. The only way JeDi should consider moving a "future" type of player is if we get some sort of "future" piece in return. In the short time JeDi has been in charge he has been able to bring more talented youth to the organization than Jack Z did in his entire tenure as GM. Let's not start selling off our commodities just cause we finally have them in the form of young talent. We have a GM that seems to have an eye for lineup talent so let's allow him to stockpile for when we are truly ready for that push. It's coming, I can feel it :yes:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ready to give up on Vogelbach just yet, but if we get to the home stretch with a lead in playoff positioning while his value gets us something to sustain that positioning then I say move him. I'm not going to allow myself to get too high on this current stretch because there is a ton of ball to go; just as selling the farm a few weeks ago was just as premature. The only way JeDi should consider moving a "future" type of player is if we get some sort of "future" piece in return. In the short time JeDi has been in charge he has been able to bring more talented youth to the organization than Jack Z did in his entire tenure as GM. Let's not start selling off our commodities just cause we finally have them in the form of young talent. We have a GM that seems to have an eye for lineup talent so let's allow him to stockpile for when we are truly ready for that push. It's coming, I can feel it :yes:

That is the difference in our views, I don't see him as future talent. I see him and the others I listed as players that at best will be role players in the majors. Trading them before they prove this would be smart. Waiting until they become the Ackley's and Montero's of baseball gets you zip. :2cents:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you could be 100% correct on them. I have less patience for some of these guys than most.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a few moves that could really help is adding a catcher. I think adding a catcher that could improve the team could be relatively cheap, the bar for catchers performance is pretty low for the Mariners.

A starting pitcher might need to be added out of necessity. I really like the idea of trading for Harvey. I also think there are a few rental arms out there that make sense for the M's based on the current situation they are in.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they aren't in it at the trade deadline, this is definitely the year to trade Cruz, Seager, Paxton, Iwakuma ect and possibly Segura.

Felix and Cano are probably untradeable so they can be the team leaders of the youth movement!

To think what they could've gotten in a trade for Felix 2.5-3 years ago. :(

Last edited:

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they aren't in it at the trade deadline, this is definitely the year to trade Cruz, Seager, Paxton, Iwakuma ect and possibly Segura.

Felix and Cano are probably untradeable so they can be the team leaders of the youth movement!

To think what they could've gotten in a trade for Felix 2.5-3 years ago. :(

I disagree with Segura, I feel you build around him but certainly won't lose sleep if DP can pick up a couple of ready to hit the majors prospects.

as far as Felix and or Cano. I understand they're untradeable with their contracts but would the M's consider eating some of the salary? I mean, it's already on their payroll regardless so what the hell.. this really is more towards Cano. He is still hitting at a high level and playing all star 2nd base. I would think they could get a good pull of talent for him.

I don't think Felix gets you anything anyway and with his legacy the Ms won't trade him.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Segura, I feel you build around him but certainly won't lose sleep if DP can pick up a couple of ready to hit the majors prospects.

as far as Felix and or Cano. I understand they're untradeable with their contracts but would the M's consider eating some of the salary? I mean, it's already on their payroll regardless so what the hell.. this really is more towards Cano. He is still hitting at a high level and playing all star 2nd base. I would think they could get a good pull of talent for him.

I don't think Felix gets you anything anyway and with his legacy the Ms won't trade him.

If you can get a couple top prospects for Segura, that's why I'd "possibly" trade him. The Yankees offer Gleyber Torres, I take it.

Can't recall the M's being the type of franchise to eat salary. They'd probably rather keep Felix and Cano for ticket sales, merchandise, TV ratings. Would be nice though.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees offer Gleyber Torres, I take it.

Have you seen his swing? Reminds me a lot of Segura ironically.