• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toyota Tacoma

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking to buy a new Tacoma...Dream truck.

My plan was to buy one next Summer get a 2015 4X4 4-Door cab. But im having serious car issues and I think my current car is about to die and might need to get one sooner than later.

However, current financial issues puts me at MAYBE affording a 2014 Tacoma PreRunner - 2WD but with the 4x4 look.

Quiet honestly, nothing I do really requires the 4x4, but the peace of mind does help.

Anyways, not sure if I should just stick it out one more year with my car and hope it gets me there, and in the end giving me no trade in value, or just go for it now..

Figure ill be making around the same amount of monthly payments regardless if I get the truck now or wait a year.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to spend that much, you should get what you really want. You'll be kicking yourself the first time you need 4wd and don't have it.

What kind of current car issues are you having?

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
How much will you need to put into the car, to get you to next summer?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radiator leaks oil leaks. I'm putting an entire bottle of anti freeze in a week. Oil is empty about once a month.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radiator leaks oil leaks. I'm putting an entire bottle of anti freeze in a week. Oil is empty about once a month.

Radiator should be fixable relatively cheap.

Oil is another story. Is it burning it, or leaking it? And is the car running bad? Hell putting oil in it constantly might be better to wait out a year.

On the other hand, Oregon is probably going to lose 3 games next year, so you might not even be around to get the 4x4.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radiator should be fixable relatively cheap.

Oil is another story. Is it burning it, or leaking it? And is the car running bad? Hell putting oil in it constantly might be better to wait out a year.

On the other hand, Oregon is probably going to lose 3 games next year, so you might not even be around to get the 4x4.

it's leaking it and probably burning it as well. It doesn't run terribly bad. I am thinking of trying to hold out as long as possible because the point was well made, if I am going to spend that much money on something I might as well get what I really want and spend a little more and get the 4X4.

The only thing is...It doesn't change the monthly payments by about a $100. AND the PreRunner does get better gas mileage.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably wouldn't be wanting it so badly if it wasn't more my neighbor getting a brand new Tacoma and he has that thing parked in his driveway and it just burns to look at.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question. At the very least. I can try to hold out as long as possible and say if Summer rolls around and my Jeep dies cant I always have a brand new car waiting? I just went to Toyota.com and created my own Tacoma and the thing came out cheaper than what is available at the dealership....Even if I go to the dealership and they don't have what I want on the lot, cant I just create my own and have them ship it to the lot?

Basically what I am asking is, I don't need to rush right now to get a brand new truck because a brand new one within the price range that is at now will always be there.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at some point you will run it out of coolant or oil and destroy your engine, so it's better to get money for it now while it's running than for it to be a heaping pile later.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at some point you will run it out of coolant or oil and destroy your engine, so it's better to get money for it now while it's running than for it to be a heaping pile later.

I know...Tough predicament im in.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd open your search nation wide. See if you can find a good deal on something (that would also offset travel costs) in intermediary while you limp your current ride along.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd open your search nation wide. See if you can find a good deal on something (that would also offset travel costs) in intermediary while you limp your current ride along.

Ive looked at dealers in Idaho. But I have connections to the manager at a local Toyota dealership, waiting to hear back from him. I know with brand new cars there isn't much money in them and they don't really ask much over the base price, but seeing if he can maybe get a deal.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are buying used then sometimes you just gotta grow a pair and lowball 'em... I bought my first truck that way. '04 Dakota with 40k miles was listed at $17k and I got it down to $14k. Gotta feel them out though. If they flat out say no, then bring the price up. If the salesman says anything close to the words "I'll have to run this by my manager" then you have them interested. Stand your ground and don't budge. They'll eventually give it to you at your price. It's a competitive business so they are willing to negotiate, or at least they ought to be.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good idea would be to set up an autotrader or cars.com account (and a few other sites). But you can have those sites notify you when the truck you are interested in hits the market. Just give them a price range, and the model and you are put in waiting mode if they don't already have some listed. If you're lucky you wont have to wait long.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the trick is go into a car lot with the mentality that you are willing to walk away. Don't marry yourself to any car. Once they see you are seriously leaving they will give you or try to meet your needs.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would personally wait until the 4x4 is available. As far as ordering the price they give you does not include the dealer mark(Which will happen) and destination fee(Which will happen). Find a dealer that is tied to a network. THey will have a larger base to search within locally and regionally.

Are you planning on trading your current vehicle in? If so decide what you want to get for the trade-in value. Most dealers will give you 3k minimum for any old P.O.S. so set your amount. Also remember that most new cars they have about 3k to play with as far as coming down. Look at the monthly note and the total price not just one or another.

Funny story my wife had never bought a new car. So I took her to the dealer she found what she liked and I told the guy to prepare for work. 8 hrs later with me leaving TWICE to "go talk to a friend at another dealer" where I was actually eating lunch and then grabbing a beer we walked out with her "dream car" for 7k UNDER the sticker price. It all matters on how stubborn you are. Make sure to get every single rebate. THe other thing I will say is try to find a brand new 2013 or have them search for one. You will get MASSIVE rebates and incentives to just get it off the lot.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would personally wait until the 4x4 is available. As far as ordering the price they give you does not include the dealer mark(Which will happen) and destination fee(Which will happen). Find a dealer that is tied to a network. THey will have a larger base to search within locally and regionally.

Are you planning on trading your current vehicle in? If so decide what you want to get for the trade-in value. Most dealers will give you 3k minimum for any old P.O.S. so set your amount. Also remember that most new cars they have about 3k to play with as far as coming down. Look at the monthly note and the total price not just one or another.

Funny story my wife had never bought a new car. So I took her to the dealer she found what she liked and I told the guy to prepare for work. 8 hrs later with me leaving TWICE to "go talk to a friend at another dealer" where I was actually eating lunch and then grabbing a beer we walked out with her "dream car" for 7k UNDER the sticker price. It all matters on how stubborn you are. Make sure to get every single rebate. THe other thing I will say is try to find a brand new 2013 or have them search for one. You will get MASSIVE rebates and incentives to just get it off the lot.

Good info. I would be happy with at least 3k for my Jeep which I don't think has much left in it. KBB value had my jeep trade in value at a dealership at 1,900 and private party selling at 2,900.

good idea on looking for 2013, but I think most 4X4 2013 Tacomas are already on the road and if they are on the lot around here anyways they are "used" cars.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the demand for these things is absolutely ridiculous....I go into the dealership looking for some that are posted as "In Transit" meaning they haven't reached the lot yet and they are already sold! Theres like a waiting list on tacomas.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the demand for these things is absolutely ridiculous....I go into the dealership looking for some that are posted as "In Transit" meaning they haven't reached the lot yet and they are already sold! Theres like a waiting list on tacomas.

It's time to look at the best selling vehicle in America for 30+ years in a row.