• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toss Up: In 2012, who would u rather have Starting at RB

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know it wasn't the point, but my point also wasn't to not go after a RB outside of the 6th or 7th rounds. But I get it, you tried to be cute. It failed.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm all for signing Bush or Stewart. You listed 12 solid NFL backs from late rounds. Want me to go back and list all of the not-so-good backs from the late rounds over the past 2 years? It would be about 5 or 6 times the size.

I'm not for investing any sizeable sum in any of these FA's. I'd honeslty rather focus on improving the O-line and take any of these guys projected in the 2nd (Polk, Miller, David WIlson etc). Could take another flyer on a guy in the later rounds too (we got the picks...)

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Stewart could be one of the best RBs in the leauge if he's featured in a good offense and stayed healthy..

He'd be my pick from the players listed

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed futball. Carolina is too busy showcasing Newton and ignoring the 2 really good RBs they have.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it wasn't the point, but my point also wasn't to not go after a RB outside of the 6th or 7th rounds. But I get it, you tried to be cute. It failed.

Rey, why must you be such a smartass so often?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never spend money on an FA running back. It's becoming quite clear that the shelf-life of a running back is very limited. No need to ever invest in a guy that already has tread on the tires - This is why the Titans didn't want to extend Johnson (they did and are now paying the price) and why the Bears are being bullish about Forte.

In the past 5 years can you think of a single big name FA running back?

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would never spend money on an FA running back. It's becoming quite clear that the shelf-life of a running back is very limited. No need to ever invest in a guy that already has tread on the tires - This is why the Titans didn't want to extend Johnson (they did and are now paying the price) and why the Bears are being bullish about Forte.

You're not counting Benson???

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know this....there's too much tread gone off of Benson.....I don't know who the starter will be next year, or how they will obtain him, but it damned well better be someone else.....

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Forte should hunt Chris Johnson down and beat the shit out of him.

Dr.Funke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Or one of these guys:

Fred Jackson (undrafted)
Mike Tolbert (undrafted)
Lagarette Blount (undrafted)
Danny Woodhead (undrafted)
Benjarvus Green Ellis (undrafted)
Pierre Thomas (undrafted)
Ryan Grant (undrafted)
Chris Ivory (undrafted)
Willie Parker (undrafted)
Ahmad Bradshaw (7th)
James Starks (6th)
Chester Taylor (6th)

This is a bizzare list. Above you list 3 Rbs who are actually feature backs. Bradshaw, Jackson and Blount.

The rest are either out of the NFL, or sruv bench players who split carries with 2/3 other Backs. Yeah

Also, you left off Arian FOster from you list...somehow. He was undrafted

Keep in mind, over the last 20 years, the 7 best RBs in football have been:

Adrian Peterson
Bettis
Barry Sanders
Emmit Smith
LT
Edgerin James
and Marshall Faulk.

Those are all basically top 10 picks...with Emmit at 17. MOst top 5

Why not just wait for a late round/undrafted QB to come along?

Tony Romo
Tom Brady
Jeff Garcia
Kurt Warner
Warren Moon
Matt Cassell
Matt Hasselbeck
or Ryan Fitzpatrick
John Skelton
Kevin Kolb

lol

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That argument can go both ways. Why spend a valuable first round pick on a player whose shelf life is much less than any other position in football? Additionally, so let's say we do grab a 1st round RB and he turns out to be great. He turns out to be a Johnson or a Forte. What happens 3-4 years down the road when he's asking to be paid? Gonna let him walk after investing so much into him? Gonna spend that huge money on a player who has that tread on the tires? You're in the same boat no matter how you look at it.

Personally, I would save the steep price of a 1st round pick and just dish out cash for a guy who is already proven and who I believe can give me a solid 2-3 years. No way one signs for less than 4 years, so the trick here is to somehow negotiate an incentive laden contract in years 3 and 4 or of the sort so it's a good deal for both parties.

I think Bush would be perfect. For his 4 year career, he's averaged only 9 carries a game and has never averaged more than 11 carries a game in a single season. Relatively fresh and has never had more than 655 yards in a single season so it's not like he'll have the leg to stand on to be asking a team to give the house...whether some idiotic team does is a different story.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bizzare list. Above you list 3 Rbs who are actually feature backs. Bradshaw, Jackson and Blount.

The rest are either out of the NFL, or sruv bench players who split carries with 2/3 other Backs. Yeah

Also, you left off Arian FOster from you list...somehow. He was undrafted

Keep in mind, over the last 20 years, the 7 best RBs in football have been:

Adrian Peterson
Bettis
Barry Sanders
Emmit Smith
LT
Edgerin James
and Marshall Faulk.

Those are all basically top 10 picks...with Emmit at 17. MOst top 5

Why not just wait for a late round/undrafted QB to come along?

Tony Romo
Tom Brady
Jeff Garcia
Kurt Warner
Warren Moon
Matt Cassell
Matt Hasselbeck
or Ryan Fitzpatrick
John Skelton
Kevin Kolb

lol

Agreed 100%.

You take a back that is going to be your main, or at least can see him being your every down back regardless of where the pick is or isn't.

I want Richardson so bad I can taste it, just realize that will probably not happen.

I think it is almost time to Ki-Jana Carter the draft for Richardson.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Michael Turner...

and while Stewart hasn't been under-used to that extent, he's been second on the depth chart to DeAngelo Williams. He has less tread than most RBs at his age/experience level.

I agree with your point about being cautious on RBs, but another reason I think that bigtime RB acquistion are is because if a team has a star at that position they'll usually lock them up longterm

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed 100%.

You take a back that is going to be your main, or at least can see him being your every down back regardless of where the pick is or isn't.

I want Richardson so bad I can taste it, just realize that will probably not happen.

I think it is almost time to Ki-Jana Carter the draft for Richardson.

Root for Carson to fail...only way we gotta shot at Richardson. That being said LaMAr Miller, Polk or David Wilson should do fine behind an improved O-line. I think the 2nd round (not the 1st) is the place to trade up. We have so many picks that they could package some of those to move up and grab say Miller (who is awesome). Moving up in the 1st would cost too much IMO. Love Richardson, but would rather keep the two first rounders in tow and the picks in the 1st and 2nd for next year. Gimme one of the 2nd round rooks (unless Richardson falls to us). Screw FA (unless they're cheap).

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Pead. Just think he is phenomenal. I just could Only dream in the forst 3 rounds, bengals did something like this

Dre Kirkpatrick - CB
Michael Floyd - WR
Nate Potter - OT/G
Isiah Pead - RB

I'd wet myself with this draft. Kirkpatrick is a very solid cover CB. Typical Nick Saban CB. Floyd is a beast as well, but doesn't get near the cred Blackmon and Jeffery do since Notre Dame isn't really in the spotlight right now

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd wet myself with this draft. Kirkpatrick is a very solid cover CB. Typical Nick Saban CB. Floyd is a beast as well, but doesn't get near the cred Blackmon and Jeffery do since Notre Dame isn't really in the spotlight right now

I haven't seen Michael Floyd, nor watched any n.d. games lately -, he's better than golden tate I hope?