• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 Wide Receivers for 2015....

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers haven't decided anything, yet, regarding Cobb. it's a wait and see for now. they do have the money but they usually let players like that go.... once again usually let them go. Cobb may be a whole different ordeal.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am seeing a lot of faith in CJ. Probably more than I currently have as I am thinking the Lions will be lucky if they get 12-13 games from him as a legit threat and not injured or a decoy.

But what I find funny is the Packers are reluctant to give Cobb 9 million a year but we will have to pay CJ much more than that and for a 4-5 year stretch if we restructure.

It would be great if every team was able to exempt the salary on one player that has seven years in the league with one team. That way you could afford to pay CJ for prior years and let him retire a Lion.
Cobb isn't 1/2 the WR CJ is, though, so that makes a lot of sense. Guys like Cobb come along every single year in the draft. No WR has ever had Megatron's total package. His size/speed/explosion/physicality is way off the charts.

I think if you're trying to compare the two players you're going to be pretty much on your own on that one.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb isn't 1/2 the WR CJ is, though, so that makes a lot of sense. Guys like Cobb come along every single year in the draft. No WR has ever had Megatron's total package. His size/speed/explosion/physicality is way off the charts.

I think if you're trying to compare the two players you're going to be pretty much on your own on that one.

AT this point in CJs career. I think they are close. Career in general Cobb will never have CJs numbers. But here today looking at 2015 through 2017 I think Cobb outperforms CJ. I hope I am wrong as CJ would only help the Lions win with big numbers. When signing contracts it's not about what have you done for me but what will you do for me.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AT this point in CJs career. I think they are close. Career in general Cobb will never have CJs numbers. But here today looking at 2015 through 2017 I think Cobb outperforms CJ. I hope I am wrong as CJ would only help the Lions win with big numbers. When signing contracts it's not about what have you done for me but what will you do for me.

I think the point Tpaul is trying to make is that nobody has to game plan for Cobb. Most defensive coordinators need to worry about 1) Aaron Rodgers, 2) Jordy Nelson, 3) Eddie Lacy and then Cobb as a distant 4th.

When teams play the Lions. They know it's the CJ show. They triple team the guy and still to no avail. Cobb is not even in the same breath as Calvin.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point Tpaul is trying to make is that nobody has to game plan for Cobb. Most defensive coordinators need to worry about 1) Aaron Rodgers, 2) Jordy Nelson, 3) Eddie Lacy and then Cobb as a distant 4th.

When teams play the Lions. They know it's the CJ show. They triple team the guy and still to no avail. Cobb is not even in the same breath as Calvin.

I get and appreciate what CJ has done.

My point is with bonuses CJ's 2015 cap hit is 20 million per Spotrac. While Cobb will make 9 million. I can't see CJ being worth 11 million more a year than Cobb. Any metric you look at CJ will not out produce a top WR at 20 million. And the defensive coordinators have to game plan for CJ is accurate but what would they have to do if the Lions put...Erick Decker, Emmanuel Sanders, and Cobb as well as having Tate. The Cobb, Sanders, and Decker are real close to what the Lions ay CJ this season not to mention next year.

So if Cobb has a good year and gets 1200 yards and 6 TDs at between 8-9 million and CJ has a good year at 1500 yards and 8 TDs at 20 million is the added production of 300 yards and 2 TDs worth the 12 million? So production and value for me has to be factored into a player. And that doesn't even take into account injury risk.

my feeling is stop restructuring these contracts because you can not keep over paying a guys well into their 30's and keep roster depth.

Thats not to say I am hating of CJ I just can't see his production overwhelming a guy like Cobb thats hitting his peak years.

The bigger problem is when do you say here is your gold watch thanks for being one of the greatest but it's time to move on? IMO let him play out the contract and try to sign him to a contract that matches market value so in 2017 he either moves on, retires, or accept a pay that makes Detroit competitive instead of giving him a contract that pays him between 16-18 million for 5-6 more years.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^ now that you explained in better detail. I totally get the original statement you made. You are 100% correct that 3 years ago CJ was worth every dime. 3 years from now he will not produce 15+ million in production. Some will hate the day that cross road comes. Much like Rice leaving SF.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get and appreciate what CJ has done.

My point is with bonuses CJ's 2015 cap hit is 20 million per Spotrac. While Cobb will make 9 million. I can't see CJ being worth 11 million more a year than Cobb. Any metric you look at CJ will not out produce a top WR at 20 million. And the defensive coordinators have to game plan for CJ is accurate but what would they have to do if the Lions put...Erick Decker, Emmanuel Sanders, and Cobb as well as having Tate. The Cobb, Sanders, and Decker are real close to what the Lions ay CJ this season not to mention next year.

So if Cobb has a good year and gets 1200 yards and 6 TDs at between 8-9 million and CJ has a good year at 1500 yards and 8 TDs at 20 million is the added production of 300 yards and 2 TDs worth the 12 million? So production and value for me has to be factored into a player. And that doesn't even take into account injury risk.

my feeling is stop restructuring these contracts because you can not keep over paying a guys well into their 30's and keep roster depth.

Thats not to say I am hating of CJ I just can't see his production overwhelming a guy like Cobb thats hitting his peak years.

The bigger problem is when do you say here is your gold watch thanks for being one of the greatest but it's time to move on? IMO let him play out the contract and try to sign him to a contract that matches market value so in 2017 he either moves on, retires, or accept a pay that makes Detroit competitive instead of giving him a contract that pays him between 16-18 million for 5-6 more years.

I'm all for that. I won't no part with a restructure either. I don't want to cut him either.
He has played in 14 of 16 possible games OR MORE every season except last though. I will admit it looks like he has lost a "1/2 step" of explosion as well.

You also can't expect "double the production" for double the pay either. These aren't robots and machines you can set perfect equations to. There are a lot of factors. For example. If CJ were playing with Aaron Rodgers, you are looking at an 1800 yard 18+ TD guy. With Stafford he is a 1500/12 TD guy. Look at what Moss did with Brady as an example. Take Cobb out of GB and he is an 800/6td guy. Unless he is the centerpiece of an offense, Antonio Brown style.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for that. I won't no part with a restructure either. I don't want to cut him either.
He has played in 14 of 16 possible games OR MORE every season except last though. I will admit it looks like he has lost a "1/2 step" of explosion as well.

You also can't expect "double the production" for double the pay either. These aren't robots and machines you can set perfect equations to. There are a lot of factors. For example. If CJ were playing with Aaron Rodgers, you are looking at an 1800 yard 18+ TD guy. With Stafford he is a 1500/12 TD guy. Look at what Moss did with Brady as an example. Take Cobb out of GB and he is an 800/6td guy. Unless he is the centerpiece of an offense, Antonio Brown style.

I agree but I don't think the premium for the 300 or so yards worth the price.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I don't think the premium for the 300 or so yards worth the price.

Yeah but it's all connected. What about the difference in Aaron Rodgers Salary to Matt Stafford's? Johnson makes Stafford look better and Rodgers makes Cobb look better.

Johnson (16.2) + Stafford's salary (17.7)= 33.9

Cobb Estimated (10) + Rodgers (22)= 32

Less than 2 million dollars difference.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but it's all connected. What about the difference in Aaron Rodgers Salary to Matt Stafford's? Johnson makes Stafford look better and Rodgers makes Cobb look better.

Johnson (16.2) + Stafford's salary (17.7)= 33.9

Cobb Estimated (10) + Rodgers (22)= 32

Less than 2 million dollars difference.

I think Jordy makes somewhere around 8.5. And isn't CJ making over 20Mil this year? ( Those are both questions. )

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jordy makes somewhere around 8.5. And isn't CJ making over 20Mil this year? ( Those are both questions. )

Well we can add in Tate and Jordy.

Tate= 6.2
Jordy= 9.8

(Yearly averages from Sportrac)

But yeah. If they re-sign Cobb even at 8 million a year. It's roughly around the same as the Lions spend on our "big 3".

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the biggest Megatron fan on here and even I would not restructure him. Its just business. You cant marry your investments. You will set yourself up fo ruin.

Speaking of Tate. What a deal that turned out to be. Dude showed WR1 potential.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the biggest Megatron fan on here and even I would not restructure him. Its just business. You cant marry your investments. You will set yourself up fo ruin.

Speaking of Tate. What a deal that turned out to be. Dude showed WR1 potential.
Those Domers sure are something ehh? ;)

tumblr_m9oq97WTCI1qg154uo1_500.gif

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man, I hate reading that line. :eek: .. but it's true to a certain point