• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 International Prospect Eddy Julio Martinez signs with Giants

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is big folks. 2015 Prospect Watch

Eddy Martinez is top 5 prospect on everyone's board, and the Giants just swooped him up. $2.5M deal, which is actually pretty cheap, considering Lucious Fox got $6.5M. Not sure why the price tag fell so low, given he was generally ranked higher than Fox. Maybe an injury? He was been looked at by the Dodgers, but the Giants swooped him up too.

Regardless, it's all about talent, and this guy has a ton of it. I'll post some articles/video's when I dig them up.

2015 has been a great year for the farm. I think the Giants had the best draft in years, and they signed 2 of the best international prospects of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. The Giants went big-time on the international front this year.

I am absolutely shocked at the price tag, though. That is actually a bit concerning. If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

But everything I have heard about the kid had him rated as the #1 international prospect this year. I would like to see where he would have gone in the draft, had he been eligible. That would offer a bit more perspective. I had read that Fox would have probably been a high-second rounder.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also want to throw in, it may not look like the Giants are competing with the Dodgers because they don't go out handing multi-million deal or trades, but this is the Giants competing with the Dodgers. They signed 2 guys who were both pegged as future Dodgers. They spent some big money on the INTL market, and it sounds like they may not be done (especially since they'll be penalized the next 2 years).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am absolutely shocked at the price tag, though. That is actually a bit concerning. If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

But everything I have heard about the kid had him rated as the #1 international prospect this year. I would like to see where he would have gone in the draft, had he been eligible. That would offer a bit more perspective. I had read that Fox would have probably been a high-second rounder.

Yeah his price tag was pegged at $10M+ back in July when the signing period opened, so there are definitely some things we don't know yet. Maybe injury? We may not know until next year because it's probably too late for him to come state-side.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I just realized I keep spelling his name wrong. I don't know where I keep getting Eddie, but it's actually Eddy. Can Cal or Stokes change the title please?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I hope there's no injury or character issue.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, scratch this signing:

This narrative was weird from the beginning to end

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently this kid is a bit questionable in his business dealings. Reportedly, he played the initial market so aggressively (financially) that his entire market dried up. Now it looks like he may be shopping himself around again since his deal with the Giants leaked, seeing if he can use that as leverage.

Would be kinda funny if he ends up signing with the Padres now for about 1M. Go to baseball Siberia for about 1/7 what you could have gotten from a real team with honest business dealings.

Pure speculation, of course. But this is what people more in the know than us tend to believe...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently this kid is a bit questionable in his business dealings. Reportedly, he played the initial market so aggressively (financially) that his entire market dried up. Now it looks like he may be shopping himself around again since his deal with the Giants leaked, seeing if he can use that as leverage.

Would be kinda funny if he ends up signing with the Padres now for about 1M. Go to baseball Siberia for about 1/7 what you could have gotten from a real team with honest business dealings.

Pure speculation, of course. But this is what people more in the know than us tend to believe...

Sounds like there is a character issue.

Yeah, apparently he fired his first agent when his price tag was in the $7M range (was greedy seeking $10M+). Then this happens. Lots of baggage for one player.

Sucks to see that talent slip away, but he doesn't really seem to fit the organizational philosophy anyway.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be watched closely by the Giants blogosphere from here on out, that is sure.

While we have no idea what REALLY happened, if the surface reports are accurate, I am glad we ended up losing out on this kid.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even, just $500K.

Wow. I mean, props I guess to the kid for extracting more money but he's coming off as a major tool.
To sell your character at this point in the game for a measly 500K tells me that the kid does not have a lot of faith in his own ability. He is burning bridges for the equivalent of a minor bonus in a major contract someday.

Again, we dont know what REALLY happened, but I cant imagine another scenario that makes sense outside of the reported scenario.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even, just $500K.

Wow. I mean, props I guess to the kid for extracting more money but he's coming off as a major tool.
Yeah, I was thinking he got offered $2 million by the Giants. Forgot that .5.

I have no idea what all is involved in this scenario, but he isn't getting a good reputation from all of this.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was thinking he got offered $2 million by the Giants. Forgot that .5.

I have no idea what all is involved in this scenario, but he isn't getting a good reputation from all of this.

Lets not forget that he was offered $7MM months ago and turned it down, hoping for $10MM.

This whole situation is just weird.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read reports that he HASN'T reached a deal with the Cubbies yet, and Bobby Evans says the Giants are still in play.

Now this is starting to sound like people are leaking wrong information. Martinez's agent is also Tim Lincecum's agent, so the Giants are very familiar there. And if he is trying to get Lincecum a ML contract, I doubt he's screwing around with the Giants right now.

Basically, until I see a press conference somewhere, I'm not going to believe it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read reports that he HASN'T reached a deal with the Cubbies yet, and Bobby Evans says the Giants are still in play.

Now this is starting to sound like people are leaking wrong information. Martinez's agent is also Tim Lincecum's agent, so the Giants are very familiar there. And if he is trying to get Lincecum a ML contract, I doubt he's screwing around with the Giants right now.

Basically, until I see a press conference somewhere, I'm not going to believe it.
Evans acknowledged the deal in an interview earlier this week. There was, at one time, an agreement to an agreement. Enough that the GM (rookie as he is) acknowledged it.

Unless the stories of the fallout are false, there is reason to believe this is a whacked out story.