• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 defensively by position for 2014

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my predictions for the top 10 defensive players by position in 2014

Catchers
1. Yadier Molina (Cardinals)
2. Salvador Perez (Royals)
3. Matt Wieters (Orioles)
4. Russell Martin (Pirates)
5. Buster Posey (Giants)
6. Ryan Hanigan (Reds)
7. A.J. Ellis (Dodgers)
8. Yan Gomes (Indians)
9. Miguel Montero (Diamondbacks)
10. Carlos Ruiz (Phillies)

First Basemen
1. Adrian Gonzalez (Dodgers)
2. Anthony Rizzo (Cubs)
3. Mark Teixeira (Yankees)
4. James Loney (Rays)
5. Paul Goldschmidt (Diamondbacks)
6. Joey Votto (Reds)
7. Joe Mauer (Twins)
8. Albert Pujols (Angels)
9. Brandon Belt (Giants)
10. Mike Napoli (Red Sox)

Second Basemen
1. Dustin Pedroia (Red Sox)
2. Darwin Barney (Cubs)
3. Brandon Phillips (Reds)
4. Ben Zobrist (Rays)
5. Chase Utley (Phillies)
6. Robinson Cano (Mariners)
7. Ian Kinsler (Tigers)
8. DJ LeMahieu (Rockies)
9. Howie Kendrick (Angels)
10. Kolten Wong (Cardinals)

Shortstops
1. Andrelton Simmons (Braves)
2. Elvis Andrus (Rangers)
3. Troy Tulowitzki (Rockies)
4. J.J. Hardy (Orioles)
5. Brandon Crawford (Giants)
6. Jose Iglesias (Tigers)
7. Zack Cozart (Reds)
8. Yunel Escobar (Rays)
9. Alexei Ramirez (White Sox)
10. Alcides Escobar (Royals)

Third Basemen
1. Manny Machado (Orioles)
2. Nolan Arenado (Rockies)
3. Juan Uribe (Dodgers)
4. Evan Longoria (Rays)
5. Josh Donaldson (Athletics)
6. Adrian Beltre (Rangers)
7. Brett Lawrie (Blue Jays)
8. Mike Moustakas (Royals)
9. Chase Headley (Padres)
10. Matt Dominguez (Astros)

Left Fielders
1. Starling Marte (Pirates)
2. Brett Gardner (Yankees)
3. Alex Gordon (Royals)
4. David Lough (Orioles)
5. Carl Crawford (Dodgers)
6. Bryce Harper (Nationals)
7. Christian Yelich (Marlins)
8. Junior Lake (Cubs)
9. Andy Dirks (Tigers)
10. Yoenis Cespedes (Athletics)

Center Fielders
1. Carlos Gomez (Brewers)
2. Juan Lagares (Mets)
3. Peter Bourjos (Cardinals)
4. Jacoby Ellsbury (Yankees)
5. Michael Bourn (Indians)
6. Lorenzo Cain (Royals)
7. A.J. Pollock (Diamondbacks)
8. Denard Span (Nationals)
9. Leonys Martin (Rangers)
10. Mike Trout (Angels)

Right Fielders
1. Jason Heyward (Braves)
2. Josh Reddick (Athletics)
3. Shane Victorino (Red Sox)
4. Jay Bruce (Reds)
5. Chris Young (Mets)
6. Yasiel Puig (Dodgers)
7. David Murphy (Indians)
8. Norichika Aoki (Royals)
9. Giancarlo Stanton (Marlins)
10. Chris Denorfia (Padres)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can put him in Dirks spot. (No idea if Para plays left or not, doesn't matter.)

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirks really looks like a SSS candidate on defense to me. I would hesitate to put him on the list. And Parra definitely should be #1.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hoping Lagares can come around with the bat because his defense is unbelivably fun to watch. Mets OF could look very nice defensively this year.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been below average prior to 2013 if we go by DRS actually if I recall.

McCutchen was top 25 (21st) among all qualified outfielders in UZR in 2013 and top ten (7th) among qualified CF according to fangraphs. When talking top ten lists among best defensive outfielders, Cutch definitely needs to be in the conversation, imo.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that Parra needs to be the #1 RF & LF. He is probably top 10 in CF too. According to the fielding bible, Gerardo Parra quietly tied Simmons for the highest single-season runs saved total on record (41) this past season.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that Parra needs to be the #1 RF & LF. He is probably top 10 in CF too. According to the fielding bible, Gerardo Parra quietly tied Simmons for the highest single-season runs saved total on record (41) this past season.

Can't really put him on more than one list as that tends to be lead to many repeats which kind of break these type of lists. For example, Lorenzo Cain would also be an elite LF'er and RF'er in addition to being an elite CF'er defensively because of the range and arm. It only seems reasonable to make the lists based on where they play the vast majority of the time. Considering Parra played 1042.1 of his 1355.1 (in 2013) innings in the field at RF, I think it is only fair to keep him as #1 in RF'er list.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how again does Eric Hosmer, 2013 Gold Glove winner, NOT make the top 10?

Are you just another Royals hater?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how again does Eric Hosmer, 2013 Gold Glove winner, NOT make the top 10?

Are you just another Royals hater?

Then again, you should ask yourself: was Hosmer really that good defensively, or did he kinda win by default?

Just look at the AL 1B field in 2013:
Teixeira and Pujols missed didn't play full seasons due to injury
Morneau was traded to the NL
Napoli was better statistically but this being his 1st year at 1B probably hurt him (lack of time to build a reputation defensively)

And the rest of the crop in the AL appeared to be very weak at 1B on the whole.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so both of you are saying that you don't think Eric Hosmer is a top 10 defensive 1b over Belt and joe mauer? and that if Hosmer won a gold glove by default and Belt and Mauer are defensively better than Hosmer, then Belt and Mauer are gold glove 1st basemen?

Interesting but fair enough

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so both of you are saying that you don't think Eric Hosmer is a top 10 defensive 1b over Belt and joe mauer? and that if Hosmer won a gold glove by default and Belt and Mauer are defensively better than Hosmer, then Belt and Mauer are gold glove 1st basemen?

Just because Hosmer won a gold glove doesn't mean he's a gold glove caliber 1B nor does it mean that the 1B better than him are gold glove caliber....how is that so hard to comprehend? When Jeter won his gold gloves (and didn't deserve them), that didn't mean that every SS better than Jeter defensively was a "gold glove shortstop." It more than likely just means that the guys who were better were either overlooked, didn't play much due to injury or whatever reason, or played in the other league.

Can't speak about Mauer as he doesn't have much of a track record at 1B, but Belt statistically is slightly better than Hosmer in the field, although neither are 'great.'

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has everything to do with the stats available to us. If we went by the eye test, I am willing to bet that Hosmer is indeed on that list. As I have said now three times in this thread, the scouts and media generally disagree with the metrics for whatever reason.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Fair Enough...the list is matter of opinion unless I missed something. Agree completely Jeter changed the meaning of the GG.

if your saying its based on statistics...why isn't Brendan Ryan on the list of defensive players....its not just Hosmer, just thought it was funny he wasn't on the list. I wasn't going to list all players that I thought should be on the lists. Was just trying to joke a bit with There's since he is a Royals fan.

I still believe Hosmer shouldn't have won a gg last year and was actually shocked at his selection because the guy throws the ball all over the field still, I think he will actually get better defensively once he quits trying to be fancy with his throws and he still is young enough to improve in all areas actually maybe the youngest on the list still.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Fair Enough...the list is matter of opinion unless I missed something. Agree completely Jeter changed the meaning of the GG.

if your saying its based on experts/scouts...why isn't Brendan Ryan on the list of defensive players....its not just Hosmer, just thought it was funny he wasn't on the list. I wasn't going to list all players that I thought should be on the lists. Was just trying to joke a bit with There's since he is a Royals fan.

I still believe Hosmer shouldn't have won a gg last year and was actually shocked at his selection because the guy throws the ball all over the field still, I think he will actually get better defensively once he quits trying to be fancy with his throws and he still is young enough to improve in all areas actually maybe the youngest on the list still. I think he is still a top 10 defensive player at 1st and the GG people, still are experts and get quite a few correct after the Jeter years.

Bench player is the simplest reason for Ryan.

I do recall you saying he didn't deserve it, and that is probably correct based on the metrics availible. Hosmer has improved every year by DRS so that's a positive sign for a position that doesn't decline nearly as early on defense in comparison to other positions.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all know that the gold glove is not the best measurement of a defensive player. it is more of a popularity vote and reputation vote...how else did Jeter win so many or Michael Young EVER win one?!?!? Parra probably should be on this list, but I was thinking that I would see Alexi Rios somewhere on the top 10 RF's list. Great speed, arm, and instincts.