• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 CFB rivalries according to Fox Sports

Matte Black

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did these tards really make a rivalry list and not include the Palmetto Bowl? The hell?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't about Army-Navy not being a compelling rivalry due to the military aspect, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about football. And in that vein, it hasn't been very relevant in a long time. There's a reason that, while it's the last game of the season, it doesn't have high ratings every year.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care what the order is of the top rivalries, I just don't think Army/Navy is anywhere near the Iron Bowl (for instance). You just can't compare that. It's like people feel guilty NOT putting army/navy on the list because it's somehow an insult to the troops. From a purely CFB perspective, it isn't a great rivalry.

I disagree with you on this and in fairness it is because of the subjective nature of ranking rivalries. The pageantry that goes with the Army/Navy game is second to none, and I would argue that Army/Navy as individual teams are just as nationally relevant over the last decade or so as say Michigan, Texas, USC … which is not much in the final analysis.

The things that keeps separates it from other rivalries is the character of the players and the respect they have for their opponents.

EDIT: let me add that there are more people nationally with direct ties to Army or Navy than any of the other major universities. For us old bastards, got to love some throwback three yards and a cloud of dust option football.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to watch some of the game but only because it's the last football game of the season and not because it's a compelling story line. And I think that's what it lacks here; a compelling draw beyond being a sport I love. There's no interesting story line in that game other than "look at the history".

Actually there are many interesting story lines for real CFB fans. For example......both schools run the triple option. An offense that is rare in today's CFB. Because of that, the circle of coaches that run it is quite small. Niumatalolo and Monken are very close friends and have been since their time together as assistants to Paul Johnson during his tenure at Navy.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to watch some of the game but only because it's the last football game of the season and not because it's a compelling story line. And I think that's what it lacks here; a compelling draw beyond being a sport I love. There's no interesting story line in that game other than "look at the history".

Being from the South I can easily say the same thing about the Michigan v THE games. There is not a compelling draw to watch those games. The story line is not interesting and it belongs to another generation. I'd rather watch Army Navy 100 times over and it's not just because I was in the Navy.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being from the South I can easily say the same thing about the Michigan v THE games. There is not a compelling draw to watch those games. The story line is not interesting and it belongs to another generation. I'd rather watch Army Navy 100 times over and it's not just because I was in the Navy.
To be fair to Bama/fans in the South, the OSU-michigan game crushed the Iron Bowl last year in TV ratings, so I'd say it's quite a bit different to the rest of the country.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually there are many interesting story lines for real CFB fans. For example......both schools run the triple option. An offense that is rare in today's CFB. Because of that, the circle of coaches that run it is quite small. Niumatalolo and Monken are very close friends and have been since their time together as assistants to Paul Johnson during his tenure at Navy.
That's not really a story line. I find that interesting. But that same argument could be applied to watching most of their games. I'd say the same thing about GT's offense. Kinda fun to watch, but not because of a rivalry.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because they have different motivations and are also there to defend the country, doesn't make it a good football rivalry. Has a lot of history but lacks what really makes a rivalry. Just me, I find that game entirely uninteresting. It doesn't mean I don't respect the people playing in it.

I like how you called it a bad rivalry in a previous comment. # 20. Knowing you though you'll say something silly like that's not what you really meant. So you find the game uninteresting & it's bad rivalry to you. I find that funny. So because it doesn't meet your standards (meaning meeeechegan's not in it) you look down on that game. To each their own.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how you called it a bad rivalry in a previous comment. # 20. Knowing you though you'll say something silly like that's not what you really meant. So you find the game uninteresting & it's bad rivalry to you. I find that funny. So because it doesn't meet your standards (meaning meeeechegan's not in it) you look down on that game. To each their own.
I said, "but is in actuality a pretty bad game and rivalry" It's a personal opinion. I think it's a bad (uninteresting) rivalry and usually a bad game. And I think I've pretty clearly illustrated why -- the teams haven't met both ranked since 60+ years ago, heck -- there's only been 6 instances since 1960 where one of the two came into the game ranked, they aren't in a P5 conference and because of that have terrible bowl tie-ins, the games usually never mean anything beyond the rivalry and the games just lack story lines that are compelling. "But our troops!" is a bad argument to watch a CFB game (no disrespect to them).

Last edited:

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to Bama/fans in the South, the OSU-michigan game crushed the Iron Bowl last year in TV ratings, so I'd say it's quite a bit different to the rest of the country.

In fairness, we didn't do our jobs good enough in the regular season to make it compelling nationally.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said, "but is in actuality a pretty bad game and rivalry" It's a personal opinion. I think it's a bad (uninteresting) rivalry and usually a bad game. And I think I've pretty clearly illustrated why -- the teams haven't met both ranked since 60+ years ago, heck -- there's only been 6 instances since 1960 where one of the two came into the game ranked, they aren't in a P5 conference and because of that have terrible bowl tie-ins, the games usually never mean anything beyond the rivalry and the games just lack story lines that are compelling. "Buy our troops!" is a bad argument to watch a CFB game (no disrespect to them).
I don't think it's being disrespectful to the troops to not have interest in the football game. You can support them fully while not being interested in the rivalry, it's not like the two things are mutually exclusive. It has the pageantry and history, but it doesn't make it relevant.

_rolltideroll_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the point I was clumsily trying to make. That your POV or interest is greatly determined by your geo location and history (birth, university, where you work/live.)

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has beaten Ohio State only twice this century. It's not a rivalry anymore. The only people who care about it are alumni and fans of those two teams.

Even Michigan State now routinely beats the hell out of Michigan now. Is Michigan heading to I-AA soon?

_rolltideroll_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's being disrespectful to the troops to not have interest in the football game. You can support them fully while not being interested in the rivalry, it's not like the two things are mutually exclusive. It has the pageantry and history, but it doesn't make it relevant.

Also, doesn't make it irrelevant, depending on your POV.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not really a story line. I find that interesting. But that same argument could be applied to watching most of their games. I'd say the same thing about GT's offense. Kinda fun to watch, but not because of a rivalry.

You got a lot to learn, kid. Just read.....this probably covers ever argument you have.

History
The first Army-Navy game occurred in 1890 when Army Cadet Dennis Mahan Michie agreed to play the Naval Academy after the Midshipmen issued the challenge. The Army team was new and the game was played at West Point with Navy blanking Army 24-0.

Three years later, Navy defeated Army at Annapolis and a post game argument between a Navy rear admiral and an Army brigadier general almost ended in a duel. President Grover Cleveland called a cabinet meeting that resulted in the Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of War declaring that each team was restricted from playing one another at home and may not play each other.

In fact a Navy Midshipman wore what is regarded by many as the first ever football helmet the same game that almost resulted in a duel. His name was Joseph Mason Reeves and he went on to become an admiral and a major lead of the Navy's aircraft carrier fleet. He had been advised by a Navy doctor that any further trauma to his head would result in "instant insanity" or even death. He asked a local shoemaker to make him a helmet out of leather and the football helmet was born.

The suspension of the game lasted five years, from 1894-1898. In 1899, both sides agreed to play in Philadelphia, which is about halfway between West Point and Annapolis.

Other suspensions of the games were in 1909 when Army cancelled its season because of the death of one of their players during a game against Harvard. The game was put on hold in 1917-1918 for World War I and then again in 1928-1929 because of player eligibility reasons. However, the games have been played in continuity since 1930.

The teams have played 114 times with the Navy leading the series 58-49-7 to include Navy's most recent 12-game winning streak - the longest such streak in the rivalry's history.

Pre-Game Shenanigans
These days, the lead up to the game is often as intense as the game itself.

Units from across the globe, as well as Midshipmen and Cadets, produce videos called "Spirit Spots" and usually include a parody of some sort ending with the traditional call of "Go Army, Beat Navy!" or "Go Navy, Beat Army!" Popular past videos include a group of Midshipmen dancing to "Gangnam Style" and a recent Army spot featuring a one star general called "A Secret and Dangerous Weapon," which is a war tuba.

In the weeks leading up to the game, pranks are played on both sides. They range from stealing uniforms to dropping a helicopter full of ping pong balls on a formation of cadets at West Point. Both teams also have an active history of trying to steal each other's mascots.

The students at West Point traditionally try and steal the Navy's mascot, a goat named Bill. The Navy keeps two to three goats at a farm in Maryland.

Army has been overwhelmingly more successful in this endeavor than Navy. Cadets have succeeded in stealing Bill several times. In 1995, after a raid by the Army Cadets that resulted in three goats being taken, flag officers from both service branches issued official orders that the "kidnapping of Cadets, Midshipmen or mascots will not be tolerated."

In 2007, a group of cadets launched "Operation Good Shepherd" capturing the goats again, but this time recording themselves in the act and posting the video to You Tube. More recently in 2012, evidence the Army cadets had struck again was a lone goat tied up outside the Pentagon.

The Midshipmen were successful in 1991 when they stole the Army's mascot, a mule. A group of Navy Midshipmen disguised themselves as Army Cadets, went to Morgan Farms where the mules are kept, bound the veterinarian staff, and loaded the mules onto a trailer.

Like any sports team, superstition plays a role. The Midshipmen of the 13th company traditionally run the game ball from Bancroft Hall to the site of the game. The tradition started in 1982 because of a desire to get the "unlucky" company off the campus grounds so close to the game.

A group of West Point Cadets will also deliver a game ball in Baltimore after making the trek by foot from West Point.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got a lot to learn, kid. Just read.....this probably covers ever argument you have.

History
The first Army-Navy game occurred in 1890 when Army Cadet Dennis Mahan Michie agreed to play the Naval Academy after the Midshipmen issued the challenge. The Army team was new and the game was played at West Point with Navy blanking Army 24-0.

Three years later, Navy defeated Army at Annapolis and a post game argument between a Navy rear admiral and an Army brigadier general almost ended in a duel. President Grover Cleveland called a cabinet meeting that resulted in the Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of War declaring that each team was restricted from playing one another at home and may not play each other.

In fact a Navy Midshipman wore what is regarded by many as the first ever football helmet the same game that almost resulted in a duel. His name was Joseph Mason Reeves and he went on to become an admiral and a major lead of the Navy's aircraft carrier fleet. He had been advised by a Navy doctor that any further trauma to his head would result in "instant insanity" or even death. He asked a local shoemaker to make him a helmet out of leather and the football helmet was born.

The suspension of the game lasted five years, from 1894-1898. In 1899, both sides agreed to play in Philadelphia, which is about halfway between West Point and Annapolis.

Other suspensions of the games were in 1909 when Army cancelled its season because of the death of one of their players during a game against Harvard. The game was put on hold in 1917-1918 for World War I and then again in 1928-1929 because of player eligibility reasons. However, the games have been played in continuity since 1930.

The teams have played 114 times with the Navy leading the series 58-49-7 to include Navy's most recent 12-game winning streak - the longest such streak in the rivalry's history.

Pre-Game Shenanigans
These days, the lead up to the game is often as intense as the game itself.

Units from across the globe, as well as Midshipmen and Cadets, produce videos called "Spirit Spots" and usually include a parody of some sort ending with the traditional call of "Go Army, Beat Navy!" or "Go Navy, Beat Army!" Popular past videos include a group of Midshipmen dancing to "Gangnam Style" and a recent Army spot featuring a one star general called "A Secret and Dangerous Weapon," which is a war tuba.

In the weeks leading up to the game, pranks are played on both sides. They range from stealing uniforms to dropping a helicopter full of ping pong balls on a formation of cadets at West Point. Both teams also have an active history of trying to steal each other's mascots.

The students at West Point traditionally try and steal the Navy's mascot, a goat named Bill. The Navy keeps two to three goats at a farm in Maryland.

Army has been overwhelmingly more successful in this endeavor than Navy. Cadets have succeeded in stealing Bill several times. In 1995, after a raid by the Army Cadets that resulted in three goats being taken, flag officers from both service branches issued official orders that the "kidnapping of Cadets, Midshipmen or mascots will not be tolerated."

In 2007, a group of cadets launched "Operation Good Shepherd" capturing the goats again, but this time recording themselves in the act and posting the video to You Tube. More recently in 2012, evidence the Army cadets had struck again was a lone goat tied up outside the Pentagon.

The Midshipmen were successful in 1991 when they stole the Army's mascot, a mule. A group of Navy Midshipmen disguised themselves as Army Cadets, went to Morgan Farms where the mules are kept, bound the veterinarian staff, and loaded the mules onto a trailer.

Like any sports team, superstition plays a role. The Midshipmen of the 13th company traditionally run the game ball from Bancroft Hall to the site of the game. The tradition started in 1982 because of a desire to get the "unlucky" company off the campus grounds so close to the game.

A group of West Point Cadets will also deliver a game ball in Baltimore after making the trek by foot from West Point.
So the best part about this game is pranks between the organizations....that have nothing to do with the actual game...got it. Why does that make the game good?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said, "but is in actuality a pretty bad game and rivalry" It's a personal opinion. I think it's a bad (uninteresting) rivalry and usually a bad game. And I think I've pretty clearly illustrated why -- the teams haven't met both ranked since 60+ years ago, heck -- there's only been 6 instances since 1960 where one of the two came into the game ranked, they aren't in a P5 conference and because of that have terrible bowl tie-ins, the games usually never mean anything beyond the rivalry and the games just lack story lines that are compelling. "But our troops!" is a bad argument to watch a CFB game (no disrespect to them).

You really have no understanding of the Army/Navy game. It's the only rivalry in CFB that goes beyond rankings & bowl tie-ins. Most CFB fans can look past the issues you have w/ this one game.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really have no understanding of the Army/Navy game. It's the only rivalry in CFB that goes beyond rankings & bowl tie-ins. Most CFB fans can look past the issues you have w/ this one game.
Honest question -- do you have ties to one of the branches? Because I imagine many people here defending it, do. What is there to look past? No one has explained why this is an interesting game to watch other than it's old.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the best part about this game is pranks between the organizations....that have nothing to do with the actual game...got it. Why does that make the game good?

So being rivals beyond the game itself doesn't add to the "rivalry" status in your opinion? Gotcha. You don't even know the history of tOSU/Michigan then, amirite?

Toledo War - Wikipedia