• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 CFB rivalries according to Fox Sports

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got a lot to learn, kid. Just read.....this probably covers ever argument you have.

History
The first Army-Navy game occurred in 1890 when Army Cadet Dennis Mahan Michie agreed to play the Naval Academy after the Midshipmen issued the challenge. The Army team was new and the game was played at West Point with Navy blanking Army 24-0.

Three years later, Navy defeated Army at Annapolis and a post game argument between a Navy rear admiral and an Army brigadier general almost ended in a duel. President Grover Cleveland called a cabinet meeting that resulted in the Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of War declaring that each team was restricted from playing one another at home and may not play each other.

In fact a Navy Midshipman wore what is regarded by many as the first ever football helmet the same game that almost resulted in a duel. His name was Joseph Mason Reeves and he went on to become an admiral and a major lead of the Navy's aircraft carrier fleet. He had been advised by a Navy doctor that any further trauma to his head would result in "instant insanity" or even death. He asked a local shoemaker to make him a helmet out of leather and the football helmet was born.

The suspension of the game lasted five years, from 1894-1898. In 1899, both sides agreed to play in Philadelphia, which is about halfway between West Point and Annapolis.

Other suspensions of the games were in 1909 when Army cancelled its season because of the death of one of their players during a game against Harvard. The game was put on hold in 1917-1918 for World War I and then again in 1928-1929 because of player eligibility reasons. However, the games have been played in continuity since 1930.

The teams have played 114 times with the Navy leading the series 58-49-7 to include Navy's most recent 12-game winning streak - the longest such streak in the rivalry's history.

Pre-Game Shenanigans
These days, the lead up to the game is often as intense as the game itself.

Units from across the globe, as well as Midshipmen and Cadets, produce videos called "Spirit Spots" and usually include a parody of some sort ending with the traditional call of "Go Army, Beat Navy!" or "Go Navy, Beat Army!" Popular past videos include a group of Midshipmen dancing to "Gangnam Style" and a recent Army spot featuring a one star general called "A Secret and Dangerous Weapon," which is a war tuba.

In the weeks leading up to the game, pranks are played on both sides. They range from stealing uniforms to dropping a helicopter full of ping pong balls on a formation of cadets at West Point. Both teams also have an active history of trying to steal each other's mascots.

The students at West Point traditionally try and steal the Navy's mascot, a goat named Bill. The Navy keeps two to three goats at a farm in Maryland.

Army has been overwhelmingly more successful in this endeavor than Navy. Cadets have succeeded in stealing Bill several times. In 1995, after a raid by the Army Cadets that resulted in three goats being taken, flag officers from both service branches issued official orders that the "kidnapping of Cadets, Midshipmen or mascots will not be tolerated."

In 2007, a group of cadets launched "Operation Good Shepherd" capturing the goats again, but this time recording themselves in the act and posting the video to You Tube. More recently in 2012, evidence the Army cadets had struck again was a lone goat tied up outside the Pentagon.

The Midshipmen were successful in 1991 when they stole the Army's mascot, a mule. A group of Navy Midshipmen disguised themselves as Army Cadets, went to Morgan Farms where the mules are kept, bound the veterinarian staff, and loaded the mules onto a trailer.

Like any sports team, superstition plays a role. The Midshipmen of the 13th company traditionally run the game ball from Bancroft Hall to the site of the game. The tradition started in 1982 because of a desire to get the "unlucky" company off the campus grounds so close to the game.

A group of West Point Cadets will also deliver a game ball in Baltimore after making the trek by foot from West Point.

My favorite story was from a commander I know. Back in the day, POTUS was to visit the cadets so they managed to get a stretch ahead of the procession. All of the cadets, in formation, rendered honors to the goat and were more than pissed when the goat and midshipmen got of the limo.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question -- do you have ties to one of the branches? Because I imagine many people here defending it, do. What is there to look past? No one has explained why this is an interesting game to watch other than it's old.

I have no ties to either branch. Already said why I like this rivalry in comment # 31. But as you said in comment # 69 "but our troops" isn't a valid reason for you to think this game means anything. I respect both sides for what they do once their playing days are over.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So being rivals beyond the game itself doesn't add to the "rivalry" status in your opinion? Gotcha. You don't even know the history of tOSU/Michigan then, amirite?

Toledo War - Wikipedia
Sure, it's part of it. But Michigan and OSU wasn't considered a great rivalry until Bo got here and upset OSU. There are all sorts of factors. But the dislike between Army/Navy is nothing like the actual hatred between other rivals. The thing that starts most great rivalries is elite play on the field and all the other stuff is just supplemental. You have to have both to be considered great, not just history and prank wars.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, it's part of it. But Michigan and OSU wasn't considered a great rivalry until Bo got here and upset OSU. There are all sorts of factors. But the dislike between Army/Navy is nothing like the actual hatred between other rivals. The thing that starts most great rivalries is elite play on the field and all the other stuff is just supplemental. You have to have both to be considered great, not just history and prank wars.
But one team also has to win sometimes.

How do you define "rivalry"?

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But the dislike between Army/Navy is nothing like the actual hatred between other rivals

You have no idea what you are talking about. Pure uneducated speculation on your part. Have you ever got in a fight over tOSU/Michigan?

The thing that starts most great rivalries is elite play on the field

Again....you're opinion. Tell a Florida fan that they have hated UGA for the last 50 years because of "elite" play. 50 years ago, Florida was just another whipping boy for UGA and the rest of the SEC.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no ties to either branch. Already said why I like this rivalry in comment # 31. But as you said in comment # 69 "but our troops" isn't a valid reason for you to think this game means anything. I respect both sides for what they do once their playing days are over.
I also respect them for that, it doesn't make it a compelling game to watch because of that though.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take a minute & look up the history of Ohio State's gold pants. Which former HC Francis Schmidt started in the 1930's.

Yeah but Ohio State/meeeechegan wasn't really a rivalry until Bo showed up.:crazy:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a minute & look up the history of Ohio State's gold pants. Which former HC Francis Schmidt started in the 1930's.

Yeah but Ohio State/meeeechegan wasn't really a rivalry until Bo showed up.:crazy:
yes, it was a rivalry but it wasn't considered one of the greatest until after bo got here. We're not talking about simple rivalries. I'm not suggesting Army/Navy isn't a rivalry; just that they aren't a compelling one.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point I was clumsily trying to make. That your POV or interest is greatly determined by your geo location and history (birth, university, where you work/live.)
That's the same of every single game, though. However, when you're routinely finishing in the top 2-3 in ratings every season, I'd say it's still pretty relevant, at least moreso than basically every other game.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the dislike between Army/Navy is nothing like the actual hatred between other rivals

You have no idea what you are talking about. Pure uneducated speculation on your part. Have you ever got in a fight over tOSU/Michigan?

The thing that starts most great rivalries is elite play on the field

Again....you're opinion. Tell a Florida fan that they have hated UGA for the last 50 years because of "elite" play. 50 years ago, Florida was just another whipping boy for UGA and the rest of the SEC.
Sorry, it just isn't the same. The hatred you see in the Iron bowl or Mich/OSU is different than the competitive dislike between Navy/Army.

And Michigan/OSU was a rivalry long before it was a compelling one. Florida vs UGA used to not be a good rivalry. It was only because of compelling play and the emergence of Florida that it became a nationally recognized rivalry that people outside of those fan bases wanted to watch.

I don't get into fights, because I'm not an inbred from Ohio. Boom, roasted Ohio people.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa vs Iowa State is an unique rivalry

No other state can say BOTH of these
- Only 2 FBS team in the state
- Both teams in different P5 conferences

South Carolina was until Coastal Carolina moved to FBS. I believe Pennsylvania would be if Temple wasn't there. Arkansas has P5 and G5.

What about S Carolina-Clemson?

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also respect them for that, it doesn't make it a compelling game to watch because of that though.

Wait a minute......I get it now. You don't think it's an important rivalry because you aren't interested in watching it.

:pound:

So if you don't care to watch, it's not a big rivalry. That's awesome, man. I get it now. Carry on.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, it was a rivalry but it wasn't considered one of the greatest until after bo got here. We're not talking about simple rivalries. I'm not suggesting Army/Navy isn't a rivalry; just that they aren't a compelling one.

So Ohio State & meeeechegan have never liked each other but in your odd world it didn't really become a rivaly until Bo arrived & pulled off some upsets. Got it. :pound:

Last edited:

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has beaten Ohio State only twice this century. It's not a rivalry anymore. The only people who care about it are alumni and fans of those two teams.

Even Michigan State now routinely beats the hell out of Michigan now. Is Michigan heading to I-AA soon?

eh, they should try to see how they fare in the MAC before they make the drastic decision of moving down to FCS

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the same of every single game, though. However, when you're routinely finishing in the top 2-3 in ratings every season, I'd say it's still pretty relevant, at least moreso than basically every other game.

But relevant to what? That is what changes dramatically from POV to POV. Being a vet, and from a long line of vets, the Army - Navy game is special to me. More special than other teams from outside my home conference. But that's my POV.

Clearly, if you don't agree with my POV, then you are a commie, Godless heathen. :)

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell a Florida fan that they have hated UGA for the last 50 years because of "elite" play. 50 years ago, Florida was just another whipping boy for UGA and the rest of the SEC.
I wasn't watching football 50 years ago, so can't comment on how it was. But in our lifetime, Georgia sucks.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MAIZEandBLUE09

Ohio State has been kicking the shit outta Yer Boyz this century. So does that mean it's not a real rivalry to you because the Buckeyes have dominated for 2 decades?

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I am an 8 year navy vet, I admit I wasn't that interested in the Navy-Army game.

But my son made the terrible mistake of joining the Army. So it's much more interesting today for me.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute......I get it now. You don't think it's an important rivalry because you aren't interested in watching it.

:pound:

So if you don't care to watch, it's not a big rivalry. That's awesome, man. I get it now. Carry on.
I said that pretty early on. It's bad football thus an uninteresting rivlary (that's what this is all about - no?). Are you suggesting it's a good rivalry despite bad football?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MAIZEandBLUE09

Ohio State has been kicking the shit outta Yer Boyz this century. So does that mean it's not a real rivalry to you because the Buckeyes have dominated for 2 decades?
I'd say we haven't helped in making it the best. But there's been enough times where both teams where ranked and the games were outstanding where it still holds up. Despite the bad call, that 2016 game was one of the best games to watch ever.