• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this kind of touches on a larger shift in how team's manage their resources and protect their investments. Sadly, we've seen too much of this in DC. Both Jordan Zimmerman and Stephen Strasburg were limited and taken out of the rotation before the season was over even though they were fully healthy in returning from Tommy John surgery. If we think back to Sidney Crosby and how long he was held out from playing even though he had no symptoms for long stretches of that recovery.

Now with RG3, there may be other motivations in play - Shanahan may be doing this to piss off Snyder and get himself fired to the tune of $7 million. Or it honestly may be that he thinks RG3's and the team's long-term health is best served by sitting down a guy taking routine beatings on a team with nothing left to play for.

But overall, I think that with advances in scientific knowledge and teams both using that information and thinking more of their long-term interests and investments, we are likely to see this happen more and more. Team doctors being given a more prominent role in making the call rather than the coach. GMs and coaches having more willingness to give up a competitive edge today for what might be a better plan for tomorrow, especially in an era where GMs are more engaged in not only procuring players for their teams, but engaged with coaches in how those resources are used.

Or maybe we're just trying to get a higher second round draft pick. ;)

Get Spankeyed for David Yankey!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a tough call on my hands here - who would you play this week...

Russell Wilson @ NYG or Alex Smith @ Oakland?

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Smith @ Oakland, because Oakland's total defense & passing defense is worse than the Giants. Also the Hawks don't really have much to play for, where the Chiefs do. Hawks also have to travel cross Country.

Just my :2cents: so I imagine Wilson will have the much better game.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Smith @ Oakland, because Oakland's total defense & passing defense is worse than the Giants. Also the Hawks don't really have much to play for, where the Chiefs do. Hawks also have to travel cross Country.

Yeah, that was kind of the break factor I was thinking of, too. They often don't play well on those cross-country games.

Wilson has been my guy all year, but Smith is as hot as Hansel right now.

Alright Buffalonians... you've swayed me.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this kind of touches on a larger shift in how team's manage their resources and protect their investments. Sadly, we've seen too much of this in DC. Both Jordan Zimmerman and Stephen Strasburg were limited and taken out of the rotation before the season was over even though they were fully healthy in returning from Tommy John surgery. If we think back to Sidney Crosby and how long he was held out from playing even though he had no symptoms for long stretches of that recovery.

Now with RG3, there may be other motivations in play - Shanahan may be doing this to piss off Snyder and get himself fired to the tune of $7 million. Or it honestly may be that he thinks RG3's and the team's long-term health is best served by sitting down a guy taking routine beatings on a team with nothing left to play for.

But overall, I think that with advances in scientific knowledge and teams both using that information and thinking more of their long-term interests and investments, we are likely to see this happen more and more. Team doctors being given a more prominent role in making the call rather than the coach. GMs and coaches having more willingness to give up a competitive edge today for what might be a better plan for tomorrow, especially in an era where GMs are more engaged in not only procuring players for their teams, but engaged with coaches in how those resources are used.

Or maybe we're just trying to get a higher second round draft pick. ;)

Get Spankeyed for David Yankey!

What I hate, hate, hate is that in professional sports it's often a coach making the decision. Many teams (college too) bring in "Yes Men" to do their bidding. Don't get me wrong, I've grown to be a bit liberal with what I allow athletes to do in regard to their injuries, but I would never go up to a coach and say "They shouldn't play" and not mean that. If a coach doesn't respect me enough to take that advice, there's an issue. And I'm just an AT. There should never be a case where a coach overrules a team physician. A big issue in sports medicine, one that will never be resolved as long as coaches are making millions a year, is that an ATs direct supervisor is often a coach. There's a HUGE conflict of interest there. I have much more issue with the NCAA in this realm however...it's disgusting what happens there.

Not sure I ever posted this article here, but it's enlightening: Trainers Butt Heads With Coaches Over Concussion Treatment - Athletics - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Coaches at the D1 level, and often lower levels too, live and die by the almighty W, which in turn leads them to want injured athletes to come back sooner than they should, thereby putting them in danger, leading me to step in on their behalf, as is my job, leading to myself getting fired. It's just not a good situation.

Which is why I'm DIVISION THREE FOR LYFE!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u guys see the NFL is "consulting with the NHL to learn" how they can inplemement centralized re-play review ( ie NFL wants a war room )

... NFL ... youre doing it wrong!!!

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hawks usually do just enough offensively to get by when they are on the road ... soooo ... i say start Smith

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2.gif

fwanananana

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - 43 with the Lee Majors six million dollar man music...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u guys see the NFL is "consulting with the NHL to learn" how they can inplemement centralized re-play review ( ie NFL wants a war room )

... NFL ... youre doing it wrong!!!

That's one thing I like about how the NHL does it. Let someone in a controlled situation with access to a rule book in front of them make the call. I think that having a ref stick his head in and look at a tiny TV is sort of silly. MLB is doing a centralized replay too for next year and their new system. All going to NYC.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one thing I like about how the NHL does it. Let someone in a controlled situation with access to a rule book in front of them make the call. I think that having a ref stick his head in and look at a tiny TV is sort of silly. MLB is doing a centralized replay too for next year and their new system. All going to NYC.

lol yah i agree ... i just dont think they should be looking to the NHL for guidance on anything

Status
Not open for further replies.