• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive seen so many mocks with us taking a corner, its just NOT going to happen.

also, give me sewell over mazi smith in round 2. not impressed with what I saw of smith in the playoff game.

looking at it again, give us ika at 30, sewell with our next pick. wilson, ika, sewell would be potentially a nasty upgrade

It's because their the corners we like and usually get....

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i have been saying DL, LB, are our biggest needs. Brooks and Barton are not the answer. Also with this stupid 3-4 defense you need even MORE linebackers than they have.

Wish they would go back to a 4-3.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i have been saying DL, LB, are our biggest needs. Brooks and Barton are not the answer. Also with this stupid 3-4 defense you need even MORE linebackers than they have.

Wish they would go back to a 4-3.
SF 4-3 is wicked good. 100% Pete needs Clint to get back to that base scheme.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF 4-3 is wicked good. 100% Pete needs Clint to get back to that base scheme.

Yeah it just made me sick to my stomach watching the 49ers lining up in that 4-3. I was against the switch to a 3-4 and never thought we were even close to having the personal to run that 3-4 scheme. As long as Seattle runs in the 3-4 we will always have a hard time stopping the run.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaknesses of 3-4

The nose in the 3-4 has to demand two blockers, otherwise linebackers will have to sift through traffic and shed the blocks of bigger offensive linemen. Those defensive linemen also must free up the outside linebackers for one-on-one pass rushing situations.

this is the issue. We got Linebackers that never had to worry about taking on 320 pound lineman in a 4-3 and now they have to. We don't have a double team worthy NT and the edge was no threat so the rushers were almost always fighting 2 blockers ( lineman/TE/RB )

You run at a 3-4 defense and pull the linebackers up now you got MASSIVE holes all over the zones and WR will be running free all over the field.

Sound familiar?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meaning those big, Stocky, 6'2+, 200+ CB's
I get that, but we havent taken a corner in round 1 and I dont think we ever will under carroll.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ stroud has not declared for the draft, he has until Monday to decide.

if he stays, its a huge hit to the QB class. that #1 pick becomes even more valuable for the teams that desperately need a QB

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it just made me sick to my stomach watching the 49ers lining up in that 4-3. I was against the switch to a 3-4 and never thought we were even close to having the personal to run that 3-4 scheme. As long as Seattle runs in the 3-4 we will always have a hard time stopping the run.
Maybe Clint Hurts will realize this and go back to 4-3.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been screaming all year about switching to the 3-4 and why the fuck we thought that was correct to do... we never had the personnel on the DL to do it (except Harris who was a trade), Taylor and Barton are 100% undersized for a 3-4... Brooks can't cover for shit (required of a 3-4 ILB), Mafe projects better to a 4-3 end... I dunno whose genius idea this was (Carroll or Hurtt) but whoever made the switch needs to be fired (yes fire Carroll - make Waldron the head coach at this point) for it.

Carroll coached like that was his last game. Honestly I'd be fine if he retired and we promoted Waldron to head coach. Waldron's gameplan against the best defense in the NFL was just fine. Carroll/Hurtts (is it two ts, or rs... eh fuck it) was absolute trash. One fuckin' punt... that's all you could force? And you made a no name QB look like a fuckin' hall of famer with WIDE open passes, no pressure at all... and getting abused whenever the 49ers wanted to run.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Clint Hurts will realize this and go back to 4-3.
Or he needs to be replaced...

Playing 3 DL that weigh over 300lbs on the LOS at the same time over and over vs the run yesterday against one of the fastest teams in the NFL was dumb... Those guys couldn't get sideline to sideline... SF was just gashing us to the outside all game via the run, while taken advantage of that...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or he needs to be replaced...

Playing 3 DL that weigh over 300lbs on the LOS at the same time over and over vs the run yesterday against one of the fastest teams in the NFL was dumb... Those guys couldn't get sideline to sideline... SF was just gashing us to the outside all game via the run, while taken advantage of that...
It's not just SF, it's been all season of getting gashed. Seattle never had the personnel and being in a rebuilding phase this suppose to be a transition with bumps along the way but the problem is Seattle is way ahead of schedule. My hope is bag the 3-4, go back to the 4-3 which has worked and stop the run. Hurts is gone after next season if we see same results.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just SF, it's been all season of getting gashed. Seattle never had the personnel and being in a rebuilding phase this suppose to be a transition with bumps along the way but the problem is Seattle is way ahead of schedule. My hope is bag the 3-4, go back to the 4-3 which has worked and stop the run. Hurts is gone after next season if we see same results.
I'd be happy to see them go back to the 4-3, but just don't see them doing that after just one season using the 3-4 unfortunately. Have to hope they can acquire the right players for that D.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy to see them go back to the 4-3, but just don't see them doing that after just one season using the 3-4 unfortunately. Have to hope they can acquire the right players for that D.
I doubt it as well but Pete ran that 4-3 with mostly success so maybe after seeing what he saw he'll bag the idea and get back to what worked in previous season.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it as well but Pete ran that 4-3 with mostly success so maybe after seeing what he saw he'll bag the idea and get back to what worked in previous season.

The big issue is Hurtt knows the 3-4 best and it's the reason at least the reason Carroll mentioned as why they switched. Hurtt should have never been hired as the DC it's that simple he was not knowledgeable enough to be put into the DC position. A DC should have the same understanding of the 3-4 and the 4-3. There is a time and place to run a 3-4, 4-3 or a Bear front and your DC should know all these formations strengths and weaknesses... Clint doesn't.

The 3-4 makes the linebackers fight through trash to make plays, this makes them slower to the point of attack and leads to them being in chase mode. ( sound familiar? ) Middle Linebackers in 3-4 normally are 6 foot 4+ guys around 245-255+ pounds that can run and beat blocks, not the 6 foot to 6 foot 2 230-235 pounders we got. Our Linebackers were swallowed up all season long.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of you like to bash on Barton and Brooks but they Coaches set them up to fail this season. They really stood no chance in a 3-4 system.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes the talent difference is just too great to overcome with schemes or gameplans. We lack the talent (in both quality and quantity) on defense to hold down a team as talented as the 49ers for a full 4 quarters. They did an admirable job for about 2.5 quarters on Saturday, but you had to think at some point the trio of McCaffrey, Samuel, and Kittle was going to find a way to make big plays. It isn't scheme or gameplan. It's talent right now. We need more of it on defense, or I don't think it matters what we run against the better offenses in the league.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big issue is Hurtt knows the 3-4 best and it's the reason at least the reason Carroll mentioned as why they switched. Hurtt should have never been hired as the DC it's that simple he was not knowledgeable enough to be put into the DC position. A DC should have the same understanding of the 3-4 and the 4-3. There is a time and place to run a 3-4, 4-3 or a Bear front and your DC should know all these formations strengths and weaknesses... Clint doesn't.

The 3-4 makes the linebackers fight through trash to make plays, this makes them slower to the point of attack and leads to them being in chase mode. ( sound familiar? ) Middle Linebackers in 3-4 normally are 6 foot 4+ guys around 245-255+ pounds that can run and beat blocks, not the 6 foot to 6 foot 2 230-235 pounders we got. Our Linebackers were swallowed up all season long.
Pete knew this scheme change would take a couple of years to get the right people in place but I don't think he visioned the Seahawks as a playoff team 1yr removed from RW. Sticking with the 3-4 is wasting 2 more years so hopefully he realizes going back to the 4-3 and adding this years defensive class into the mix makes this defense middle of the pack.