• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony La Russa high on the list for possible new Mariners President

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as La Russa sent in his resume, which is reported he did, they should have begged him to come aboard and cancel all other interviews.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
La Russa would actually put a baseball mind in the Mariners FO. Please for the love of God let this happen.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfamiliarity with the M's organization should be bullet point #1 at the top of La Russa's resume!

Hire this man!

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind having LaRussa in the front office.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading that Baker story about the dysfunction within the Mariners FO I really hope they don't hire someone internally. I get the impression the only people left within that front office are the "Yes men" to the current regime. If they hire someone internally I don't think anything will change.

I really hope they bring in LaRussa. Not just because of who he is but because of the current dysfunction within the Mariners organization, bringing a guy like him in would be great.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This organization cannot stay in house with this. La Russa would be great for the organization. In fact any hire they make as long as it is outside of the organization I am fine with. If it is someone from within the Mariners will be loosers.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per ESPN:

The Seattle Mariners apparently will look in-house for a replacement for outgoing team president Chuck Armstrong, tempering speculation that the job could go to Tony La Russa.

A report by USA Today’s Bob Nightengale on Thursday had La Russa on the short list of candidates to replace Armstrong, who is retiring. According to Nightengale, La Russa acknowledged that he's interested in leaving his special assistant's job with Major League Baseball and join a team’s front office.

MLB.com’s Greg Johns, however, reports the Mariners have not scheduled any interviews with outside candidates and has two viable internal candidates in VP of business operations Bob Aylward and VP of finance Kevin Mather.

While La Russa may not land in Seattle, this week’s development could indicate he will be working for a club sometime in the near future. But as Johns’ story points out, most teams have a business-oriented individual as a team president, so La Russa's first job with a team could be in an advisory role.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the M's aren't interested hiring somebody with actual success on or near an actual baseball field.

I understand that a team president is fundamentally an administrative job, but it would be nice to get somebody in there that gives an indication that they have a modicum of understanding about winning.

Bob Aylward's bio
http://www.seattlesports.org/uploads/BobAylward.pdf

A little info about Kevin Mather from a website I found
"Kevin is Executive Vice President of the Mariners Finance & Ballpark Operations. Mather’s responsibilities include accounting and financial reporting, ticket services, procurement, technology services, concessions and the day-to-day operations of Safeco Field. He also oversees the Mariners five retail locations, as well as “other events” held at Safeco Field. During the 2006 off-season, Kevin was recognized by the Puget Sound Business Journal as a nominee for CFO of the Year. He is also very involved on the Board of Junior Achievement of Washington – understanding JA teaches our youth that success in America is achievable to each and every one of them and provides a road map for their future. "

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if the Mariners hired someone outside the organization. I get the impression they have the way they want to run things and don't want anyone disagreeing. They probably figure bringing in La Russa could cause conflict within the front office.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have La Russa, just won't happen considering how the Mariners operate.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The correct decision and the Mariner decision are usually polar opposite. :whistle:

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better him getting a shot from a team I can root for rather than the Sinstripes.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an odd question but who is one person internally that the Mariners could hire and sell it to the public as legit? Tony definitely wouldn't be a top choice on my board but there isn't one person that is left currently internally that is anywhere near qualified.

Though I'd take Chuck Armstrong over Tony LaRussa.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

of course you would

it looks like the m's will just promote a "mini me" of armstrong, so that's great for you.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an odd question but who is one person internally that the Mariners could hire and sell it to the public as legit? Tony definitely wouldn't be a top choice on my board but there isn't one person that is left currently internally that is anywhere near qualified.

...Why...?