• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tom Cable

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLDR: Tom Cable has taken 2nd and 3rd string players (Giacomini and McQuistan) and turned them into serviceable starters (i.e. guys you'd like to replace but you're not going to panic to replace them in the meantime)

The guy is working with very, very little talent.

Cable is the responsible for the "little talent" , don't you think? Seahawks signed Robert Gallery to a three year deal. That didn't work out. Then Cable hand selected Carpenter and Moffitt, using a first and a third round picks. If those two panned out, with Okung and Unger, then the line would be looking much better.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You also have to consider offensive philosophy in the mix as well.

Carroll like almost every defensive coach wants to play great defense and have a strong running game to control the clock while passing with play action and some shots down field to keep opposing defenses honest.

That's why he brings in a guy like Cable and that's why the brain trust drafted linemen that were stronger run blockers than pass blockers.

So in this case you have to look at everyone from the brain trust drafting the guys and the coaching staff from Carroll on down.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it all has to do with the type of guys Cable likes on the Oline. I mean think about it. He is grabbing Defensive players and converting them. Whats the hardest part of blocking? Pass blocking. With the limited skill on the oline there is no doubt his teams would be better suited for run blocking. The Zone blocking is also more suited for run blocking.

To be honest though if we are going to have limited talent on the oline their isn't another line coach i would rather have. He has made this miss matched unit into a serviceable one capable of winning games. (5-1)

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cable is the responsible for the "little talent" , don't you think? Seahawks signed Robert Gallery to a three year deal. That didn't work out. Then Cable hand selected Carpenter and Moffitt, using a first and a third round picks. If those two panned out, with Okung and Unger, then the line would be looking much better.

I love PC/JS and their drafts but the Offensive side of the ball besides an A+ on RWill
has been rated a D.

Okung was an easy selection. Even I had us taking a LT in Trent Williams in 2010 as I had Okung
going to Skins. Okung was easy and obvious.

We struck out in a poor OL draft with Carp and Moffitt. Too bad we didn't get Costanzo but that's
20/20.

Other than that, we haven't spent drafts on the OL.

Wasting picks on that Durham and Harper as 4th rdrs hurt. Tate in rd 2, ok. O drafts haven't been good.

Otherwise, we haven't put much into the OL and how can we say that Cable didn't contribute to
the improvement and success of Okung and Unger?

McQ does NOT belong at LT. Run some screens to his side and the OL will look a bit better.
We need to attack the draft again with an OL or two in 2014.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love PC/JS and their drafts but the Offensive side of the ball besides an A+ on RWill
has been rated a D.

Okung was an easy selection. Even I had us taking a LT in Trent Williams in 2010 as I had Okung
going to Skins. Okung was easy and obvious.

We struck out in a poor OL draft with Carp and Moffitt. Too bad we didn't get Costanzo but that's
20/20.

Other than that, we haven't spent drafts on the OL.

Wasting picks on that Durham and Harper as 4th rdrs hurt. Tate in rd 2, ok. O drafts haven't been good.

Otherwise, we haven't put much into the OL and how can we say that Cable didn't contribute to
the improvement and success of Okung and Unger?

McQ does NOT belong at LT. Run some screens to his side and the OL will look a bit better.
We need to attack the draft again with an OL or two in 2014.

Yes the Seahawks struck out with Carp and Moffitt. A 1st round pick and a third round pick. Both picks hand selected by Cable. Also struck out on Robert Gallery who cost the Seahawks $5 million and was a signature addition, also a Cable guy. You imply that not much of a investment , I disagree, Seahawks already had Okung and Unger, if Cable had any ability to judge OL the Seahawks would be sitting pretty. Giacomini is a prototypial Cable guy, a road grader with a mean streak. Leads to a good run game with lots of personal penalties, also leads to a poor pass protection OL, that is put in a bad position due to penalties.

Tom Cable is one of the best OL coaches when it comes to run blocking, what he does, with who ever he has to work with is amazing. A great system he teaches when it comes to the run game. I just wish he could give Russell Wilson some better pass blocking, before the laws of averages catch up with Russell.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the Seahawks struck out with Carp and Moffitt. A 1st round pick and a third round pick. Both picks hand selected by Cable. Also struck out on Robert Gallery who cost the Seahawks $5 million and was a signature addition, also a Cable guy. You imply that not much of a investment , I disagree, Seahawks already had Okung and Unger, if Cable had any ability to judge OL the Seahawks would be sitting pretty. Giacomini is a prototypial Cable guy, a road grader with a mean streak. Leads to a good run game with lots of personal penalties, also leads to a poor pass protection OL, that is put in a bad position due to penalties.

Tom Cable is one of the best OL coaches when it comes to run blocking, what he does, with who ever he has to work with is amazing. A great system he teaches when it comes to the run game. I just wish he could give Russell Wilson some better pass blocking, before the laws of averages catch up with Russell.

Gallery was just a temporary stop gap veteran and nobody that was ever a long term solution.
Did you really think that signing was anything more than a guy to give some type of short term continuity?

So, we've drafted 3 OL in 4 years and hit on 1. I guess with the law of averages as you used, you
hope to hit a HR on 1 guy which we did. If you think we're going to get a double on one of the other, then your expectations of the draft are a bit lofty.

The facts are that we've done a pretty poor job of drafting players on the Offensive side of the ball and thank GOD PC/JS hit a grand slam on RWill or our O would be a really weak unit.

After Constanzo in the 2011 draft, the rest of the OL class haven't amounted to diddly squat, including Carp and Moffitt.

I guess my draft expectations aren't as stringent as yours. PC & JS know their D but the O hasn't followed suit.

I can guarantee we'll re-visit the OL in 2014 because 3 selections in 4 years won't cut it. I expect to see Breno to hit the road jack and Bowie to be our mainstay at RT.

Book it and we'll check it out next May. I nailed the MRob cut 2 weeks before final cutdowns, sure I'm a blind squirrel, but I do expect with some confidence Bowie will pan out and we'll attack the OL in 2014. Not exactly rocket science and obvious, sure, but we'll just have to be patient until Okung returns and we send McQ back to guard.

Go Hawks! :suds:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallery was just a temporary stop gap veteran and nobody that was ever a long term solution.
Did you really think that signing was anything more than a guy to give some type of short term continuity?

So, we've drafted 3 OL in 4 years and hit on 1. I guess with the law of averages as you used, you
hope to hit a HR on 1 guy which we did. If you think we're going to get a double on one of the other, then your expectations of the draft are a bit lofty.

The facts are that we've done a pretty poor job of drafting players on the Offensive side of the ball and thank GOD PC/JS hit a grand slam on RWill or our O would be a really weak unit.

After Constanzo in the 2011 draft, the rest of the OL class haven't amounted to diddly squat, including Carp and Moffitt.

I guess my draft expectations aren't as stringent as yours. PC & JS know their D but the O hasn't followed suit.

I can guarantee we'll re-visit the OL in 2014 because 3 selections in 4 years won't cut it. I expect to see Breno to hit the road jack and Bowie to be our mainstay at RT.

Book it and we'll check it out next May. I nailed the MRob cut 2 weeks before final cutdowns, sure I'm a blind squirrel, but I do expect with some confidence Bowie will pan out and we'll attack the OL in 2014. Not exactly rocket science and obvious, sure, but we'll just have to be patient until Okung returns and we send McQ back to guard.

I suspect the reason for not drafting more OL is after wasting the top two picks in2011 on OL selected by Cable, is that Pete and John didn't want to risk having Cable blow another pick.
I do think the front office will draft a OL or some OL, minus Cable input, this time.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seahawks have done a bad job of drafting offensive players? Really? Lets see who they have drafted on the offensive side.

1sr round Okung Good pick right?
2nd round Tate Not great, but not a bust.
6th McCoy Not a bad pick at all
7th Konz He didn't work out , but he was a 7th round pick.

1st Carpenter ( Thanks Cable)
3rd Moffitt (Thanks Cable) ( Worth noting Seahawks didn't have a 2nd round pick, so this drart was a bad on the top end, thanks to Cable)
4th Durham bust

#3rd Wilson Home run!
4th Turbin Worthy of the picl IMO

So you see if you exclude Cables hand pick players that suck, the Seahawks have done pretty good on the offensive picks. Mostly they haven't invested a lot on the offensive side.

I excluded the last draft as not enough info, but I think they did fine with the offense players picked there also.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I left out Sweezy in 2012. Not to bad really for a 7th round pick.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know that Durham really didn't do much for Seattle, but he is turning into a guy with ok numbers in Detroit. He's on pace for 40+ catches and 500+ yards this year, and had 8-83 against Cleveland this last week. He's their #3 WR and has shown some flashes of being a good player.

Hell, he's 14-171-1 the last 3 weeks (if he keeps it up he'll have 60+ catches, ≈ 750 yards, 5 TDs).

I'm not saying he's there, or that he wasn't a reach in the 4th round, but even when we drafted him it was known he was a long term project and the team decided they didn't have the time to wait for him to get there. Detroit is taking that time, and he may just turn into a solid WR yet. So, bust for this team, yes, but not sure he'll be a bust overall (granted it is a small sample size).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that Durham really didn't do much for Seattle, but he is turning into a guy with ok numbers in Detroit. He's on pace for 40+ catches and 500+ yards this year, and had 8-83 against Cleveland this last week. He's their #3 WR and has shown some flashes of being a good player.

Hell, he's 14-171-1 the last 3 weeks (if he keeps it up he'll have 60+ catches, ≈ 750 yards, 5 TDs).

I'm not saying he's there, or that he wasn't a reach in the 4th round, but even when we drafted him it was known he was a long term project and the team decided they didn't have the time to wait for him to get there. Detroit is taking that time, and he may just turn into a solid WR yet. So, bust for this team, yes, but not sure he'll be a bust overall (granted it is a small sample size).

You make a good point blstoker. It just adds to the fact that the Seahawks front office really have no problem drafting for offense. Some time the roster needs don't allow a team to develop a player they like.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the FO is.

When you have two guys starting on your offensive line who are career journeymen that is sort of a problem. I feel like Cable has milked the best out of those two though (McQuistan and Breno)

Unger was one of the very few holdovers from the Mora/Holmgren era and Okung is really the only offensive line draft pick that has panned out for the Seahawks so far.

I never liked the James Carpenter pick and I still feel like it was a risky move that they should not have made. Their line of thinking was - here is a guy who has all the natural strength and size in the world, really good run blocker too, if we can improve his pass blocking he could be a really good player. Sadly Carpenter has showed up to camp out of shape numerous times and really has not improved much as a pass blocker, which I think is more on him. I say that it is more on Carpenter because his weight is an indicator of the work ethic he has, if he's unwilling to improve what else can Cable do?

Actually unless I'm forgetting someone the Seahawks have only drafted 3 offensive linemen in the first 5 rounds during the PS/JS era.

So although the FO has been very good for the team overall I think they have really neglected the offensive line, throwing Paul and Breno at Tom Cable and saying "Make it work".

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd Moffitt (Thanks Cable) ( Worth noting Seahawks didn't have a 2nd round pick, so this drart was a bad on the top end, thanks to Cable)

Cable is a position coach, not a front office worker.

The final decision comes down to JS.

You can't blame Cable for selecting James Carpenter and John Moffitt.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have done a bad job of drafting offensive players? Really? Lets see who they have drafted on the offensive side.

1sr round Okung Good pick right?
2nd round Tate Not great, but not a bust.
6th McCoy Not a bad pick at all
7th Konz He didn't work out , but he was a 7th round pick.

4th Durham bust

#3rd Wilson Home run!
4th Turbin Worthy of the picl IMO

So you see if you exclude Cables hand pick players that suck, the Seahawks have done pretty good on the offensive picks. Mostly they haven't invested a lot on the offensive side.

I excluded the last draft as not enough info, but I think they did fine with the offense players picked there also.

I am not here to bash PC/JS and far from it. The job they've done since taking over in 2010 should be beyond anyone's wildest of imagination. See what Holmgren did in Cleveland when taking over at the same time and with a bit more talent. PC/JS get my utmost respect.

It's been a pretty clear strategy from jumpstreet.

We've nailed a vast majority of the D from the draft with a Clem trade.

We were blessed to nail a franchise QB in the draft but our focus on O has been on free agents and trades. Lynch, Rice, Miller and now Harvin. A lot of money used there not to mention a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th rounders for that group.

Yes, we nailed Okung but guess what, I would've yelled to Goodall that the Hawks were drafting Okung. I wrote up an article that the Hawks were going Trent Williams at #6 and Earl Thomas at #14. Still have it. Trent because Okung was off the board to the Skins. That was an EASY selection.

In 4 drafts, we hit a home run on Okung, a grand slam on RWill, a sliding double on Tate. In my realistic and non-pom pom waving perspective, that's it but it's been supplemented in trades and free agents. All good. It doesn't matter how we get there, just get there.

In conclusion, as fans, we should re-evaluate the impact of only 3 OL in 4 drafts and I have the utmost patience for Okung to return. I expect more resources to be allocated to the OL because it's a weakness and isn't going unnoticed by PC/JS, who have done one bangin' job for our squad and fans.

I'm as happy as a pig in slop over our current situation and long-term prospects for this team. Cable may not be A+ but he's fine. Go check the rest of the NFL's OL drafting status after Costanzo from 2011 = not good.

If there's one guy to bash, it's that conservative bevell turd who calls plays like we have the Hawks' 2005 OL, that's the only area of my frustration.

:suds: