• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to see our whole def plan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said last week there was no reason to get fancy against Buffalo. And I was exactly right. This week we'll see all the stuff we have been hiding from the league. This is the week we see everything.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, when you cannot master the basics, pile more complicated shit on. That always works.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said last week there was no reason to get fancy against Buffalo. And I was exactly right. This week we'll see all the stuff we have been hiding from the league. This is the week we see everything.

I don't think you were right... If you were right then this defense has no hope because the defensive coordinator is a moron. We failed against a shitty offense. I doubt there is anything we can do against a quality offense.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see them just start with stopping the run.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, when you cannot master the basics, pile more complicated shit on. That always works.
Doing nothing different works better? Were gonna go after crazy legs hard. It probably wont work but at least we will try some exotic stuff. Well show something different.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see them just start with stopping the run.
That equals more running for MF. We have to hold the ball more and expose our def less.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears LB coach would not be one to "hold back" in the LB meetings. Would love to be a fly on the wall.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry that the defensive plan may be a bit too messy out of the gate for our comfort. We have been told by Trestman that the goal on defense is to create confusion for the quarterback. We heard from Bernie Kosar after watching training camp practices that what we were running on defense looked impressive, that it would cause him confusion as a quarterback. And of course, we have been hearing all along from Mel Tucker that his defense is a "hybrid" (code for "multiple looks").

Until our guys are fluent at this, it may confuse our own guys as much as it does the offenses they are defending. I expect more blown assignments in the first quarter of the season than we'd like... but the optimist in me thinks this will be tightened up as we get closer to the end of the season as guys are more fluent in their roles, responsibilities and are in tune with each other. Coincidentally, our schedule will be easier (on paper at least) at the end of the season which helps.

For those of you eager to see the Bears defense of deception right now, I'm just saying this may be a bumpy ride.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont need deception, I need to see some hitting. Bostic and Fuller will hit.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly the Bears will play a "vanilla D" because they don't want teams to see what they actually have in store for the remaining 14 games on their schedule....

Or maybe they should have practiced those "exotic plays" of which you mentioned during preseason when wins and losses didn't mean anything.

My smart-ass point is: there aren't any "exotic plays".....we're talking about Mel Tucker here.

Sorry to step on your optimism, NoonthirtyJoe, but I get the feeling that Mel Tucker is the Defensive Coordinator equivalent to Ron Turner. They both should be coaching High School football.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly the Bears will play a "vanilla D" because they don't want teams to see what they actually have in store for the remaining 14 games on their schedule....

Or maybe they should have practiced those "exotic plays" of which you mentioned during preseason when wins and losses didn't mean anything.

My smart-ass point is: there aren't any "exotic plays".....we're talking about Mel Tucker here.

Sorry to step on your optimism, NoonthirtyJoe, but I get the feeling that Mel Tucker is the Defensive Coordinator equivalent to Ron Turner. They both should be coaching High School football.
I agree with everything you said but the ( "exotic plays" part. ) We'll see a few new wrinkles. Exotic no. Cmon bro it's Mel.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Tice was more vanilla than Turner. Most vanilla coordinator I've ever seen.

But yeah… we're totally splitting hairs now.

C

cubzzzfanincali

While I'd expect the defense to continue installing more schemes as we get into the season, don't count on it against SF. A team like with that offense has to be beaten with simple defense played with precise execution, not gimmicks. Zone read is not the type of offense you want to get cute with, it requires discipline above all else.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'd expect the defense to continue installing more schemes as we get into the season, don't count on it against SF. A team like with that offense has to be beaten with simple defense played with precise execution, not gimmicks. Zone read is not the type of offense you want to get cute with, it requires discipline above all else.

Yup.

And good LB play. Which the Bears do not have.

The only way the Bears are in a good position defensively in this game, is if Kaep goes down, and Blaine Gabbert is at the helm.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think noon is desperately holding onto hope that this defense isn't complete garbage. You should just expect them to be terrible. That way if they are average, you are much more satisfied then if you expect them to be good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think noon is desperately holding onto hope that this defense isn't complete garbage. You should just expect them to be terrible. That way if they are average, you are much more satisfied then if you expect them to be good.
Their not terrible, they are avg. Much better then last year. I seen improvement last week without the line playing as good as they will. I'm more worried about the injury's to our offense.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3