• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Three position battles to watch this Spring

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least according to The Baseball Kid:

The Baseball Kid: 3 position battles to watch during White Sox spring training

For that last spot in the BP (assuming Kopech isn't amongst them after camp breaks), I'm going with Detweiler vs Fulmer, but only if the Sox feel they must have a long reliever/spot starter on the squad, something they're missing with the other seven RPs who are expected to make the cut. Fulmer might have the advantage, but that's based strictly on his former #1 draft pick status. He's otherwise been garbage. Not that Detweiler is any better, but he does have more experience. Probably moot anyway, because if either one does make the team, that will have meant the Sox sent Kopech down to build up some innings, and once called up would likely replace either of these two.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Fulmer is who the Sox hope gets the last spot in the bullpen. If he's got his head together (big if) he can work long or short and potentially spot start. I say this because he was a high draft pick and you give those guys every chance before you admit you made a mistake. I'd like to see it work out for Fulmer, but odds are against it.

The only suspense at 2nd base is when are they going to hand it to Madrigal. From what I'm reading if Madrigal goes to AAA - L. Garcia will man 2nd base.

So the last one - is who are the last guys on the bench. Adam Engle is on the bench because he is a great defensive outfielder, McCann's on the bench, Garcia is versatile he's in - that leaves two. If Delmonico shows he can hit - he stays for his lefty bat and OF backup. Palka misses out on the numbers. Mendick or Romaine stick for the last infielder's spot.

Collins to AAA to practice catching. Probably Mendick goes to AAA.

I don't think the Sox know what they want to do with Yermin Mercedes - his splits are great between lefties and righties - I've read recently he is a good pitch framer - which is the first nice thing I've read about his catching.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Fulmer is who the Sox hope gets the last spot in the bullpen. If he's got his head together (big if) he can work long or short and potentially spot start. I say this because he was a high draft pick and you give those guys every chance before you admit you made a mistake. I'd like to see it work out for Fulmer, but odds are against it.

The only suspense at 2nd base is when are they going to hand it to Madrigal. From what I'm reading if Madrigal goes to AAA - L. Garcia will man 2nd base.

So the last one - is who are the last guys on the bench. Adam Engle is on the bench because he is a great defensive outfielder, McCann's on the bench, Garcia is versatile he's in - that leaves two. If Delmonico shows he can hit - he stays for his lefty bat and OF backup. Palka misses out on the numbers. Mendick or Romaine stick for the last infielder's spot.

Collins to AAA to practice catching. Probably Mendick goes to AAA.

I don't think the Sox know what they want to do with Yermin Mercedes - his splits are great between lefties and righties - I've read recently he is a good pitch framer - which is the first nice thing I've read about his catching.

I think it's been agreed by just about everyone that unless the Sox ink Madrigal to a long term contract, he'll start the season in AAA. Garcia will likely be the opening day starter at 2b, with Mendick platooning. Once Madrigal gets promoted, Mendick might be the guy to be sent down.

I wasn't aware that Mercedes was a Rule 5 pick by the Sox. He just turned 27, so from a minor league standpoint, he's hardly a spring chicken, but he put up some solid stats last year with Charlotte. If the Sox want Collins to remain behind and get more playing time experience in AAA ball, it makes sense that Mercedes would be the one to benefit from that decision and would be an ideal candidate for making the cut when camp breaks. His ST numbers could be vital to make this happen tho.

Last edited: