• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on signing a FA o-lineman.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be preaching the run game all off season. All of you witnessed what this offense is and should know that developing a strong running game should be a priority. Play action and shit like that is never effective if you dont have anyone that scares a defense. Im not dogging Bell and Bush but I think we know what we have there and Bell isnt a feature back IMO. Theres at least six RBs in this draft that I would start over him. And Bush....he may not be here and is always hurt.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of salary are these guys commanding? Iupati probably wants around $7-8 mil, Hudson probably around $4-5 mil.

That's definitely too much for both of them. I could see getting a Center and sliding Swanson over, but no need to panic. If we were to sign both of them, it'd seem to me like we might(being key word) have a solid line for 1 year, then we have to start over at LT a and say bye to Reiff, then the following season same thing with Warford. Unless we want a huge amount of money tied into the OLine, along with Stafford, Tate, Calvin, Pettigrew, and Bell.

Let's build the OLine around Reiff, Warford, and hopefully Swanson too. No need to panic. We can get a starting OG in the draft, and worst case, sign a cheaper FA OG while the youngins are brought along. But I'd rather not see $13 mil per year spent on 2 Olinemen.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we were rolling with a fairly inexpensive oline and that got us tons of sacks and no running lanes. Even if we signed both of those guys, I'd contend that it would be reasonable. I doubt Lupati would command those numbers and remember, contracts are fairly low the first two years also.

If you can land both of those guys at somewhere between 3-5 million each during the first couple of years, that would be good. Warford and whoever we play at RT are cheap. Even Reiffs numbers aren't high.

Thet are other ways to get it done but adding these vets seem like a good bet.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of salary are these guys commanding? Iupati probably wants around $7-8 mil, Hudson probably around $4-5 mil.

That's definitely too much for both of them.
I could see getting a Center and sliding Swanson over, but no need to panic. If we were to sign both of them, it'd seem to me like we might(being key word) have a solid line for 1 year, then we have to start over at LT a and say bye to Reiff, then the following season same thing with Warford. Unless we want a huge amount of money tied into the OLine, along with Stafford, Tate, Calvin, Pettigrew, and Bell.

Let's build the OLine around Reiff, Warford, and hopefully Swanson too. No need to panic. We can get a starting OG in the draft, and worst case, sign a cheaper FA OG while the youngins are brought along. But I'd rather not see $13 mil per year spent on 2 Olinemen.

I'd sign Hudson for that $$ no questions asked. That's reasonable $$ for a really good center. Put he and Swanson next to each other in some combination of center and LG, and we're good to go on the interior...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love the chiefs center, don't want lupati, especially for what I he's demanding. Don't think he will ever be the same. Lions have already upgraded their oline since that piece of shit isn't coming back. Maybe backus will come out of retirement to play RT. That should ease any of rolling thunders concerns.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think one or the other would be wiser than signing both. If we did that, then Swanson becomes a wasted pick. A lot of people like to hate on Mayhew for the picks he misses, but then when he hits on a pick we're already talking about moving said pick to a back-up role so we can spend more $$ on a free agent to play the same position?

Us that money elsewhere and play the kid we drafted specifically for that spot.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, TPaul, I'd prefer the cheaper one. If Swanson has to slide over, fine by me. Shouldn't pay for both, though.

Stop, our oline wasn't cheap because we wanted it to be. We just had guys on rookie contracts and will need to be paid soon. And because we have so much $ tied up in BP, CJ, Stafford, Bell, Bush, and Tate. I think about $55 million if my estimates are correct. Where we are neglecting, financially speaking, is defense. More money committed to the OLine this year would skew the offensive $ even more.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think one or the other would be wiser than signing both. If we did that, then Swanson becomes a wasted pick. A lot of people like to hate on Mayhew for the picks he misses, but then when he hits on a pick we're already talking about moving said pick to a back-up role so we can spend more $$ on a free agent to play the same position?

Us that money elsewhere and play the kid we drafted specifically for that spot.

Saying he hit on a pick who got forced into action because of injuries and simply didn't shit the bed doesn't quite equal hitting on a pick.

Sims was absolutely dreadful and he never took that spot away from him.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I miss another injury on Iupati or are we talking about the broken bone in his leg? I am not grasping the injury concerns on him.

And he isn't getting a deal at $7-8m range. I put him at an average just a little bit above $5m and with every deal its all about the way you structure it. Just because you sign deals that average a certain amount doesn't mean that is what the player is ever going to be paid or that the cap hits are that much immediately either.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swanson started several games this year, not just that last one in GB. I'm not saying he's arrived, or anything like that, but based on how well he played in extended action as a rookie he's definitely a guy you want to look at as a starter, imo...

Swanson could end up at guard if the Lions find a reasonable priced center in FA.

IMO he has first crack at a starting job. I would not rush out to find a replacement for him yet. But some depth and a upgrade at RT or guard would greatly help.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I look at it this way regarding Iupati or Hudson. Which of these two FA's would have the single most immediate impact for this O-Line. I'm going to lean to the QB of an O-Line who has 4yrs. of service calling out line changes and protection packages. That would be Hudson. :nod: .. and he'd be worthy of the signing at 4-5M per yr avg, IMO

Hopefully Swanson would become the starting LG in training camp, should the Lions sign Hudson in free agency.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying he hit on a pick who got forced into action because of injuries and simply didn't shit the bed doesn't quite equal hitting on a pick.

Sims was absolutely dreadful and he never took that spot away from him.

Sims started the season very poorly, but got better as the year went on. There's zero correlation between Swanson not taking away an established veteran's spot and his future with the club.

I just don't understand the logic behind drafting a guy fairly highly with the intention that he takes over the starting center spot the next season, and then moving on from him after he showed promise in his rookie season?

The best teams build through the draft, lets not throw away a potentially good draft pick because there's shiny free agents to be had. Build from within.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, personally, wouldn't be too overly concerned about the money being spent on the offense quite so much, if Hudson were to be signed, as I would tend to think that Pettigrew will be gone by or before new league year 2016 and the same "might possibly occur" to CJ in 2017. ya never know.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I look at it this way regarding Iupati or Hudson. Which of these two FA's would have the single most immediate impact for this O-Line. I'm going to lean to the QB of an O-Line who has 4yrs. of service calling out line changes and protection packages. That would be Hudson. :nod: .. and he'd be worthy of the signing at 4-5M per yr avg, IMO

Hopefully Swanson would become the starting LG in training camp, should the Lions sign Hudson in free agency.

:agree: