• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Guy Is Going To Be A Bust

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they learned after drafting Kinlaw.
I hope you are not saying that the 49ers drafted Kinlaw without knowing his injury history. If they did, then both Shanahan and Lynch need to be fired.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now he may be headed to IR... the week Buckner comes to town. John Lynch has gotta be loving this week, lol.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope you are not saying that the 49ers drafted Kinlaw without knowing his injury history. If they did, then both Shanahan and Lynch need to be fired.
I'm sure they knew about the knee but at that time the question was..............."to what extent?" Many prospects are dinged up during their college career and have injury concerns entering the draft. So this is when you task you medical staff to judge 'to what extent?' Is it recoverable or lingering?

The medical exam Is not an exact science, similar to drafting itself. Anyway, after 5 years they've learned to take the conservative approach with injuries. I also think they've learned to avoid character concerns, ala Reuben Foster.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now he may be headed to IR... the week Buckner comes to town. John Lynch has gotta be loving this week, lol.
If necessary, then put Kinlaw on IR. Better to have it heal up than let it linger.

Playing on a lingering issue, can only make it worse.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they knew about the knee but at that time the question was..............."to what extent?" Many prospects are dinged up during their college career and have injury concerns entering the draft. So this is when you task you medical staff to judge 'to what extent?' Is it recoverable or lingering?

The medical exam Is not an exact science, similar to drafting itself. Anyway, after 5 years they've learned to take the conservative approach with injuries. I also think they've learned to avoid character concerns, ala Reuben Foster.
That was the steal of the draft I thought. I was so pleased when I saw that they got him. Boy, was I wrong.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was the steal of the draft I thought. I was so pleased when I saw that they got him. Boy, was I wrong.
That sums the nature of the NFL draft and medical evaluations.......sometimes these people are right and sometimes they're so WRONG.

This regime hasn't drafted well in the higher rounds, and the results are showing now. When you don't draft well enough, you overpay for free agents. When you overpay for too many free agents, you're forced to let TOP players go. Can't say this was for sure the case with Buckner, but something like that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sums the nature of the NFL draft and medical evaluations.......sometimes these people are right and sometimes they're so WRONG.

This regime hasn't drafted well in the higher rounds, and the results are showing now. When you don't draft well enough, you overpay for free agents. When you overpay for too many free agents, you're forced to let TOP players go. Can't say this was for sure the case with Buckner, but something like that.
They “had” to let go of Buckner because they wanted to pay Armstead, Kittle and Ward. Armstead immediately went into the Witness Protection Program, Kittle has played a grand total of 13 snaps due to injury and Ward has been passable. But hey, we saved the cap space and received a 1st rounder. Well done.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They “had” to let go of Buckner because they wanted to pay Armstead, Kittle and Ward. Armstead immediately went into the Witness Protection Program, Kittle has played a grand total of 13 snaps due to injury and Ward has been passable. But hey, we saved the cap space and received a 1st rounder. Well done.
And that first rounder, Kinlaw, had a known chronic knee injury and can't stay on the field. He has "bust" written all over him. With another last place finish, we should have had a top pick but Shanahan gave away the house for Lance. Even finishing last doesn't do us any good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that first rounder, Kinlaw, had a known chronic knee injury and can't stay on the field. He has "bust" written all over him. With another last place finish, we should have had a top pick but Shanahan gave away the house for Lance. Even finishing last doesn't do us any good.
I don’t really mind the trade for Lance YET. The Niners we’re expected to be an upper-level playoff team coming into the season.

If the team blows up and we end up losing a top 5 pick, not only does that increase the cost of Lance, but it also shows that Shanahan’s and Lynch’s ability to appraise their own team is very wanting.

And THAT is a fire-able offense.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t really mind the trade for Lance YET. The Niners we’re expected to be an upper-level playoff team coming into the season.

If the team blows up and we end up losing a top 5 pick, not only does that increase the cost of Lance, but it also shows that Shanahan’s and Lynch’s ability to appraise their own team is very wanting.

And THAT is a fire-able offense.
Agreed. I said when this trade was made that it will determine the fate of Shanahan and lynch. The Niners have finished last in every one of Shanahan’s seasons except one. Not exactly a track record you can stand firmly on

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is easy to say with hindsight, but if go back to Draft night then not easy.......at all.

Same with his criticism of the Buckner trade and declining Tom Brady easy to say now.
If true... whether through hindsight or something else, it shows a lack of decision-making and judgement that always seems to fall on one side of the ledger.

I'm not sure they even get a draft pick. Folks know that JG's on the books for $25M next year and he's probably worth less than half of that. They'll just wait for us to release him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If true... whether through hindsight or something else, it shows a lack of decision-making and judgement that always seems to fall on one side of the ledger.

I'm not sure they even get a draft pick. Folks know that JG's on the books for $25M next year and he's probably worth less than half of that. They'll just wait for us to release him.

Ok, i guess i'm referring to making the actual decision and you're referring to the results. Yes, thats what highly paid decisions makers are responsible for, making the right decisions. So looking at the results of their decision with hindsight, no questions some decisions weren't good.

So going to the difficulty of actually making the decision, if you're the GM and HC at the time, it isn't easy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am OK with them not trading JG during the draft. Lance was the most raw of all the top QBs in the draft. And assuming we were SB contenders at the time, no way we can come out of the draft without a current starting QB.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, i guess i'm referring to making the actual decision and you're referring to the results. Yes, thats what highly paid decisions makers are responsible for, making the right decisions. So looking at the results of their decision with hindsight, no questions some decisions weren't good.

So going to the difficulty of actually making the decision, if you're the GM and HC at the time, it isn't easy.
When healthy, Garoppolo was good. He was the only change to a 1 and 10 team that finished 6 nd 10 with him while beating 4 playoff teams in that stretch. It originally looked like a steal.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am OK with them not trading JG during the draft. Lance was the most raw of all the top QBs in the draft. And assuming we were SB contenders at the time, no way we can come out of the draft without a current starting QB.
I agree.

Its easy to rant about the results now but at the time this decision was made, it made sense. Fans didn't know who they were going to draft but they did. Would they have even accepted a 1st round pick? From the Jets, Texans, or Lions maybe, but Patriots?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When healthy, Garoppolo was good. He was the only change to a 1 and 10 team that finished 6 nd 10 with him while beating 4 playoff teams in that stretch. It originally looked like a steal.
Ok, could be his injury is lingering and affecting his play. Otherwise, just seems like his accuracy AND timing should be more consistent? He can't do anything about pass protect breakdowns, but even when he has time, just doesn't seem consistent enough?

Opponents have had multiple seasons to figure out Shannahan's offense. Not saying they can now stop it cold. but they know the pass route tendencies. Shannahan can't counter it with throws to the sideline, nor with deeper throws. JG is still limited to those same throws.