• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thinking of getting a dashcam. Any suggestions?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I am not moving to Russia. But I am thinking of getting a dashcam mainly because my wife and I got stuck paying a few hundred dollars from an accident that wasn't our fault. Couldn't prove that this dumb bitch crossed 2 full lanes so she could make a left turn while we were in the passing lane about to pass her. She clipped our bumper and cause enough damage that police were involved. She told police we turned into her even though it made absolutely zero sense based on damage location alone. Our word against hers so we ended up just paying for the damage done to our car. Had a hell of a time trying to keep my 120 lbs wife from curb-stomping this bitch right then and there.

Anyway, I don't know anything about dashcams and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I am also going to read some Amazon reviews since those have helped me with other electronic purchases. I don't want to get a piece of shit $15 cam but I dont know the range I should expect to find decent cams? Between $50-$100 maybe?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right, you can go fairly cheap these days as there are quite a few sub $50 cameras that record on board.

It also sounds like you don't care much about how far back the recording goes as you are more or less only looking for accident evidence. Still, the higher resolutions of todays units suck up drive space fast so don't go small on the memory whether you think you really need it or not.

That said, you should be able to find something in the $50 - $100 range.

Cheapest one I would install is the
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-1920x1080-G1W-Dashboard/dp/B00FONBG1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1406416077&sr=1-1&keywords=g1w]Amazon.com : Black Box Original Quality Real Full HD 1080P 1920x1080 H.264 G1W 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam Black Box Video Recorder With G-sensor Night Vision Motion Detection Wide Degree 120° 4X Zoom : Vehicle Backup Cameras :[/ame]
Goes up to full 1080, small, reasonable features.

There are lots of sites with reviews of these things.
2014 Favorites

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right, you can go fairly cheap these days as there are quite a few sub $50 cameras that record on board.

It also sounds like you don't care much about how far back the recording goes as you are more or less only looking for accident evidence. Still, the higher resolutions of todays units suck up drive space fast so don't go small on the memory whether you think you really need it or not.

Amazon.com : Black Box Original Quality Real Full HD 1080P 1920x1080 H.264 G1W 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam Black Box Video Recorder With G-sensor Night Vision Motion Detection Wide Degree 120° 4X Zoom : Vehicle Backup Cameras :

2014 Favorites

This sounds like something I want.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amazon.com : Black Box Original Quality Real Full HD 1080P 1920x1080 H.264 G1W 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam Black Box Video Recorder With G-sensor Night Vision Motion Detection Wide Degree 120° 4X Zoom : Vehicle Backup Cameras :

2014 Favorites

Perfect! Thank you for the info. That helps a ton! Yeah I am mainly looking at one for my own protection from the pieces of shit out there. If I ever have to actually use it for proof, it will be soooooo great seeing someones reaction once they know they are caught on record. It will pay for itself possibly too.

Again, much appreciated for the info!!:suds: