• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thinking about getting fitted

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went ahead and scheduled a fitting with GG for Saturday. I'll keep y'all posted on the results

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I got to tell you is pay some extra money to get it done right. You get a bad fitting you're going to wreck your game. 6'1" with the inseam of a guy that's maybe 5'9" (a whole lot of torso) and I couldn't even get the ball off the ground after I was fitted. It was a fucking disaster. Find a nice mom and pop shop with a hardcore golfer to fit you vs. some chain that has some book and will 'fit' you based on what the consensus is for your build. I remember when it happened the dude put the tape on, the contact was absolutely shit, and he said 'that's not what I'm looking for'. I was ripping the ball a half inch lower and a degree lower and because a 6'1" guy should be fitted "that way" per "the book" he said it was ok. I wanted to burn that shop down. I went back there with the clubs I had, grabbed an 8 iron off the shelf set to factory settings (same club), ripped an 8 iron on their ball tracer, took out my club, did what I do with the club I ruined, and said what the fuck. I almost threw that back in a water hazard. I was going to break every club and leave it in a pile in front of their door saying 'don't get fitted here!' (this is no bullshit, it was fucking miserable).

Point being is that take it seriously because there's a lot of guys at these shops that don't know what they're doing and think they know what the answer is by looking at your height.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy I talked to today was a PGA pro. I'll hit a few in their simulator and see what they tell me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I got to tell you is pay some extra money to get it done right. You get a bad fitting you're going to wreck your game. 6'1" with the inseam of a guy that's maybe 5'9" (a whole lot of torso) and I couldn't even get the ball off the ground after I was fitted. It was a fucking disaster. Find a nice mom and pop shop with a hardcore golfer to fit you vs. some chain that has some book and will 'fit' you based on what the consensus is for your build. I remember when it happened the dude put the tape on, the contact was absolutely shit, and he said 'that's not what I'm looking for'. I was ripping the ball a half inch lower and a degree lower and because a 6'1" guy should be fitted "that way" per "the book" he said it was ok. I wanted to burn that shop down. I went back there with the clubs I had, grabbed an 8 iron off the shelf set to factory settings (same club), ripped an 8 iron on their ball tracer, took out my club, did what I do with the club I ruined, and said what the fuck. I almost threw that back in a water hazard. I was going to break every club and leave it in a pile in front of their door saying 'don't get fitted here!' (this is no bullshit, it was fucking miserable).

Point being is that take it seriously because there's a lot of guys at these shops that don't know what they're doing and think they know what the answer is by looking at your height.

Wow, sorry to hear that...truly a situation where the people you dealt with didn't know what they were doing.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got fitted at golf Galaxy. Here's what I learned.
My swing mechanics aren't that bad. All the work at the range has paid off. Biggest thing the fitter changed was my distance from the ball (irons) I tend to stand a little too far from it causing me to put my weight on the balls of my feet. And with the driver I was gripping waaaay to tight. Once I loosened up the grip and repositioned it a little I was ripping the ball 230-250 yards on the simulator with a bit of a fade. Worked a a few different clubs and loved the new Calloway Epic. My form and the way I dress the ball are good my back swing is good. I tend to move my head in the down swing but once I remembered to keep my head down each shot was perfect. Can't remember the club head speed off the top of my head but it was recommended that I go with stiff shafts and once the driver was adjusted, I stopped pulling the ball. I did a good job of hitting dead center of the club consistently enough that he didn't think I needed to an adjustment in the lie angle at this time and the length doesn't need to be adjusted either.

Bought the new Calloway Epic Driver.
Bought a set of Pings

Now I'm ready to play

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that new drivers only work before you pay for them.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that new drivers only work before you pay for them.
Well I gotta tell ya. Just got back from 18 holes. I only missed 3 fairways and it wasn't the clubs fault. I was able to drive the ball farther than when I was young. Well worth the investment.

The ping irons on the other hand are going to take some getting used to. Mostly because I changed from regular flex to stiff. Before I would consistently hit kind of a natural fade. The new irons were able to straighten that out but I dropped a club or two in distance. Mis hits were bad but good ones were straight but way short. That's just going to take some more work at the range to get that dialed back in.

Overall I'm happy.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's irons though. This is my fourth set. Each one took some time to get used to. Each one felt a little awkward. Almost like breaking in anything else new