• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The worst case scenario thread

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday's loss hurt a lot, not only because it's the Raiders, but also because it could potentially do serious damage to Denver's playoff hopes. This goes beyond just losing out on potential home field advantage, and it even goes further than losing out on the division. It's possible that Denver could miss out on the playoffs entirely, and it's not even that hard to imagine it happening.

Here's what would have to happen for Denver to miss the playoffs (again, this is worst case scenario). Denver loses to the Steelers and Bengals before beating the Chargers and finish 11-5. The Chiefs win out, and at 11-5 they win the division due to their 5-1 division record over our 4-2 division record. The Chiefs remaining schedule is at Baltimore, Cleveland and Oakland at home.

The Steelers win out. Their schedule is Denver, at Baltimore, at Cleveland. They'll definitely be favored in all 3 of those games. This makes them 11-5 to finish the season.

The Jets win out. This one is the most unlikely to happen, but it's possible. The Jets play at Dallas, New England at home, and at Buffalo. A loss is likely somewhere in there, but again, this is worse case scenario thread. The Jets win all 3 of their remaining games and finish 11-5.

That leaves the Broncos, Steelers, and Jets at 11-5 with only 2 wild card spots available. Since this is a 3 way tie, the Steelers head to head victory over the Broncos doesn't come into play. However, conference record does, and both the Steelers and Jets would finish with 8-4 conference records, while Denver would be 7-5. That means that the Steelers and Jets would win the wild card over Denver.

Of course, Denver can avoid all of this by winning 2 of their final 3 and winning the division, but I just wanted to illustrate how making the playoffs was far from a guarantee for the Broncos, even with 11 wins.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking about that this morning. Arrowhead Pride is already talking about winning the division.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets get our playoff spot, then we are probably just not a playoff caliber team.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ever happens happens. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa Nellie

We had one bad half of football, and not because of a total meltdown, but because of 4 or 5 key plays:

- DT's drop going in for the TD
- DT's drop for that first down
- Davis' drop
- McManus' kick that was 1/2inch to the left
- Colquitt
- Sanders' muff ( this was the killer )

Remove any one of those plays, and we have a different outcome

Yes, Schofield is awful ... but at times in the first half, Oz was given ample time and CJ did not play ..

Two things I usually stay away from is "coulda shoulda woulda" and blaming the refs

But in the Raider game, we MUST find a way to get into the endzone at least twice in that first half ... We coulda shoulda woulda been up 28-0

I tip my hat to the Raider D .... But Kubiak must find a way to get a few more plays into the endzone

For crying out loud, get Vernon Davis the ball ... Get Fowler the ball ... plow Thompson in behind an extra OL or have Brock RUN THE ******* bootleg in

I bet my car that we beat Cincy

( granted, it is a 1991 Geo Metro, but I love it :)

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't honestly care soft mentality doesn't win championships. Until FO understands team needs a HC that makes team play over their heads and shine under the lights this is what we are in for. Fox and Kubes are similar confy hires not improved hires. OL is a mess but, best OL in football won't fix mental softness that has been problem since SB years.

We have won alot of games in those years I know the fans are spoiled excuse is coming but, this team is talented doesn't play up to it nearly enough.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Demaryius Thomas cannot step it up now . . . .

DT this teams needs you

oh boy

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the problem honestly with overreaction Monday after a bad loss. We made some huge mistakes that cost us in this one. To me one bad loss shouldn't wipe away an entire season. Yes this team has some major problems but some of them are correctable. We have seen DT and Davis both have good hands in the past so to expect that to always continue is not realistic in my opinion. Defensively that safety who gave up the touchdown probably won't be on the team after this week. So to expect when the starters come back in that we give up a touchdown in that situation instead of just a field goal to me is somewhat unrealistic. A few really bad luck plays did not go our way in this one. We didn't capitalize on the opportunities we had. Have to remember we had 22 players on the injured list this week though!

Also not sure I agree with the soft mentality about this team. The Broncos have been underdogs I think 4 times this year winning all 4 games. We have taken on some of the top teams in the league and done just fine competing with them. Anybody remember what happened to the Ravens in 2012 about this time in the season? They lost to the Broncos by something like 30 points at home. Pretty much everybody thought their season was over at that point. They made a couple of adjustments and everything got back on track to make a nice run to a Super Bowl victory. So I think everybody just needs to take a deep breath and lets just see what happens.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa Nellie

We had one bad half of football, and not because of a total meltdown, but because of 4 or 5 key plays:

- DT's drop going in for the TD
- DT's drop for that first down
- Davis' drop
- McManus' kick that was 1/2inch to the left
- Colquitt
- Sanders' muff ( this was the killer )

Remove any one of those plays, and we have a different outcome

Yes, Schofield is awful ... but at times in the first half, Oz was given ample time and CJ did not play ..

Two things I usually stay away from is "coulda shoulda woulda" and blaming the refs

But in the Raider game, we MUST find a way to get into the endzone at least twice in that first half ... We coulda shoulda woulda been up 28-0

I tip my hat to the Raider D .... But Kubiak must find a way to get a few more plays into the endzone

For crying out loud, get Vernon Davis the ball ... Get Fowler the ball ... plow Thompson in behind an extra OL or have Brock RUN THE ******* bootleg in

I bet my car that we beat Cincy

( granted, it is a 1991 Geo Metro, but I love it :)
You forgot Brocks over throw to a wide open Virgil Green in end zone also. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the problem honestly with overreaction Monday after a bad loss. We made some huge mistakes that cost us in this one. To me one bad loss shouldn't wipe away an entire season. Yes this team has some major problems but some of them are correctable. We have seen DT and Davis both have good hands in the past so to expect that to always continue is not realistic in my opinion. Defensively that safety who gave up the touchdown probably won't be on the team after this week. So to expect when the starters come back in that we give up a touchdown in that situation instead of just a field goal to me is somewhat unrealistic. A few really bad luck plays did not go our way in this one. We didn't capitalize on the opportunities we had. Have to remember we had 22 players on the injured list this week though!

Also not sure I agree with the soft mentality about this team. The Broncos have been underdogs I think 4 times this year winning all 4 games. We have taken on some of the top teams in the league and done just fine competing with them. Anybody remember what happened to the Ravens in 2012 about this time in the season? They lost to the Broncos by something like 30 points at home. Pretty much everybody thought their season was over at that point. They made a couple of adjustments and everything got back on track to make a nice run to a Super Bowl victory. So I think everybody just needs to take a deep breath and lets just see what happens.
Yeah for sure. Our team is 10-3 with still a 2 gm div lead. How many fans can claim that?. I still believe anything is possible, at least in AFC for Denver. I will say however if Denver does not make some adjustments, stay healthy,etc., and if their lucky enough to make it to the big came and they play like they did Sunday......Seattle or Carolina D will eat that offense up for lunch and it will prob not be pretty. I have faith ( I have to) that Denver will find away on offense and with this D...Anything is possible!!!! I still hate what I saw from the offense ystrdy and it is still bugging me though:) I`ll get over it :)

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bronco's have a very good chance against the Bengals without Dalton but maybe not...

So here's the ugly question. Is Manning coming back a real option now? No one expected the Osweller led Broncos to really win out did they?

I had marked the Oakland game as a possible upset.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't trying to be all doom and gloom, just wanted to make sure everyone realized that the Broncos still have a lot of work to do just to make the playoffs, and nothing should be taken for granted. As @SpiritOf77 mentioned, there were about a dozen plays in this game that if they went differently, the Broncos win.

The offense is really starting to concern me, though. That's two weeks in a row that the Broncos have been shut out in the second half. I think it's pretty obvious we missed some of our injured players, both on offense and defense. What really concerns me is that as soon as DT screws up, he lets it get in his head and follows up with 2 or 3 more terrible plays. He's got to develop that short memory and not let things linger.

Hopefully the Broncos get it straightened out this week. The Bengals minus Dalton look easier, but that's still no gimme, and the Steelers are definitely tough. There is still work to be done.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's the ugly question. Is Manning coming back a real option now? No one expected the Osweller led Broncos to really win out did they?

Does anyone really expect Manning to come back and win? There is much more to this bump in the road than poor QB play.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bronco's have a very good chance against the Bengals without Dalton but maybe not...

I had marked the Oakland game as a possible upset.

I don't think anybody expected us to go undefeated with Osweiler in. The national media will make this out to be that this is some sign that Manning should be starting. While Osweiler didn't play a great game he still did pretty decent considering how bad the rest of the team around him was playing. He did miss a wide open touchdown pass so he definitely still has some blame in the loss but I would put a lot more on other people in this one. All that to say that locally I think most of us still realize that Osweiler is our best chance.

I saw a stat that I thought showed the difference between Osweiler and Manning this year...A bad game for Osweiler is

35-51 for 308 yards no touchdowns no interceptions

For Manning it is

5-20 146 yards no touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

As much as our offense has struggled no matter who is behind Center Osweiler has at least protected the football. They are going to have to trust him to throw it down field more in the playoffs for us to stand a chance. Right now they are playing more to not lose on the offensive side of the ball. Won't fly in the playoffs.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody expected us to go undefeated with Osweiler in. The national media will make this out to be that this is some sign that Manning should be starting. While Osweiler didn't play a great game he still did pretty decent considering how bad the rest of the team around him was playing. He did miss a wide open touchdown pass so he definitely still has some blame in the loss but I would put a lot more on other people in this one. All that to say that locally I think most of us still realize that Osweiler is our best chance.

I saw a stat that I thought showed the difference between Osweiler and Manning this year...A bad game for Osweiler is

35-51 for 308 yards no touchdowns no interceptions

For Manning it is

5-20 146 yards no touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

As much as our offense has struggled no matter who is behind Center Osweiler has at least protected the football. They are going to have to trust him to throw it down field more in the playoffs for us to stand a chance. Right now they are playing more to not lose on the offensive side of the ball. Won't fly in the playoffs.

I agree with you but you know the media vultures are circling. I think it's up to Elway to Kubiak to stay the course.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really expect Manning to come back and win? There is much more to this bump in the road than poor QB play.

If the Broncos' drop another one, that question will only get stronger. A lot depends on Manning and whether he "proclaims" himself healthy. Elway has the credibility to tell Manning to bug off but I'm not sure Kubiak does.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you but you know the media vultures are circling. I think it's up to Elway to Kubiak to stay the course.

Oh they will for sure...but you guys know more than most just go out and win and it takes care of all the questions. If the Broncos go out and beat the Steelers (definitely no easy task) then all of a sudden the talk switches back to the Broncos being one of the Super Bowl favorites. Osweiler and the Broncos can really quiet a lot of people with a huge Sunday. As they say time to nut up or shut up.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking about that this morning. Arrowhead Pride is already talking about winning the division.

Naturally they are going to be excited about the possibilities. Any fan would be. But the Chiefs have a way of crushing their fans' just when they have everyone believing. Besides, if the Raiders can come into Denver and beat the Broncos, they can do it to the Chiefs in KC as well. Even the Chargers played them pretty close yesterday.

To make the playoffs the Broncos have to go 1-2 and need the Jets, Steelers, and Chiefs to collectively go as bad as 8-1. That's right: one more win and a loss by ANY of the Chiefs, Steelers, or Jets and the Broncos are in the playoffs. When you put it that way, our odds are actually still very favorable. Two more wins and they win the AFC West outright.

I have not seen anything from this offense in the past two weeks to indicate they are capable of winning 2 more games. I think it's reasonable to expect a loss in Pittsburg, though I'm not counting them out just yet. Teams sometimes rally when their backs are to the wall and the Broncos are certainly there. With the exception of the issues on the O-line, the problems can be fixed, too. As bad as the offense was yesterday they were a couple dropped passes away from winning that game. Unforced errors: mistakes the Raiders didn't earn, but our guys simply failed to execute. The Raiders deserve some serious credit for staying in it, but they are very lucky to have got out of town win a win. VERY LUCKY. The butter fingers have been an issue all season and it's hard to see it magically changing, but there is still that possibility.

With all that said, in light of the Broncos woeful offensive output recently, I think it's fair to wait and see if they hold on and reach the playoffs before I'll discuss their possibilities once they get there. Suffice to say, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt right now. I'm sure Ravens fans thought the same thing around this time in 2012...

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh they will for sure...but you guys know more than most just go out and win and it takes care of all the questions. If the Broncos go out and beat the Steelers (definitely no easy task) then all of a sudden the talk switches back to the Broncos being one of the Super Bowl favorites. Osweiler and the Broncos can really quiet a lot of people with a huge Sunday. As they say time to nut up or shut up.

HAHA.. No question. Win and suddenly people are back to throwing roses at your feet.

I agree. I think Pittsburgh is definitely going to be very tough. At the very least be competitive. The good news is that the Bengals have got to be reeling a bit right.

(This is where Patriots fans were a week ago btw)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kubiak reeled in Brock after his int last week so when we went up 12 nothing he was checking down .