• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The world of Brian Wilson

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest word is that the Yankees were interested in Wilson but Wilson will not shave his beard even for the Yankees. The Yankees have a a no facial hair rule. Cashman then said "Cross him off the list".

Now get this....The Giants are showing interest in Wilson but would not address a deal until all of their other area's are set and Javy Lopez gets his deal. Wilson would most likely be gone by then. I just don't buy that the Giants are interested in bringing Wilson back after the whole Larry Baer scolding after a Dodgers game late in the season .

Baer said he does not hold a grudge against Wilson but some how some way there is no way Wilson is coming back after he dissed Baer in public like that.

Also Wilson wants to be a closer and Romo for now is the closer.

:what::boom::ballchain::boink::think:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be in favor of not signing Lopez if it meant we could sign Wilson.

And I would definitely make Wilson the closer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weez will NEVER be a Giant again. The Bridge over the River Baer was sufficiently burnt.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be in favor of not signing Lopez if it meant we could sign Wilson.

And I would definitely make Wilson the closer.

Then you'd be losing both JLo and Romo...

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would get BOTH Wilson and JLo. Both have proven to be lights out and both are deserving of a nice contract.

As far as if I put Wilson back at closer...I'd rather he be a set up guy to be honest. I like having a control pitcher like Romo with a serious out pitch over Wilson's heat and errant control to close my games. I live in LA so I got to watch him pitch as a set up guy and I will tell you this as opinion as I am too lazy to look it up, but I feel as if his k/bb ratio was better this season then his career average. He wasn't as wild and because of this, he was highly effective.

Plus, after Wilson's heater, Romo's frisbee slider is going to look like a freaking knuckleball.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would get BOTH Wilson and JLo. Both have proven to be lights out and both are deserving of a nice contract.

As far as if I put Wilson back at closer...I'd rather he be a set up guy to be honest. I like having a control pitcher like Romo with a serious out pitch over Wilson's heat and errant control to close my games. I live in LA so I got to watch him pitch as a set up guy and I will tell you this as opinion as I am too lazy to look it up, but I feel as if his k/bb ratio was better this season then his career average. He wasn't as wild and because of this, he was highly effective.

Plus, after Wilson's heater, Romo's frisbee slider is going to look like a freaking knuckleball.

No way he'd agree to that. He's a closer and expects to get paid like one

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it would be tough for Weez to take any role with the Giants below closer. He already had the corner office in this building. Tough for him to take a cubical.

This all ignores the Baer situation, though.

Weez ain't coming back.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weez has a better chance at shaving his beard and pitching for the Yankees. The bridge was burned last year, both with Wilson's/Bear's shouting match and Romo stepping up as closer.

We still have a flame throwing right-hander and he won't cost $10MM, and that's Hembree. Casilla too.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weez has a better chance at shaving his beard and pitching for the Yankees. The bridge was burned last year, both with Wilson's/Bear's shouting match and Romo stepping up as closer.

We still have a flame throwing right-hander and he won't cost $10MM, and that's Hembree. Casilla too.

But they aren't NEARLY as interesting...

:yahoo:

Seriously, though, I don't buy the "they had a big fight so they'll never work with each other" crap. First, this is a business, with millions at stake. Neither are going to let some spat get in the way. Second, and most importantly, people actually forgive each other sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they aren't NEARLY as interesting...

:yahoo:

Seriously, though, I don't buy the "they had a big fight so they'll never work with each other" crap. First, this is a business, with millions at stake. Neither are going to let some spat get in the way. Second, and most importantly, people actually forgive each other sometimes.

I would agree that there would be a chance IF HE WERE A GREAT FIT FOR OUR NEEDS. The fact that he wants to close, and we do not need a closer means that the public fights between the two sides will not be resolved in order to get a deal done. There just isn't any incentive from either camp.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree that there would be a chance IF HE WERE A GREAT FIT FOR OUR NEEDS. The fact that he wants to close, and we do not need a closer means that the public fights between the two sides will not be resolved in order to get a deal done. There just isn't any incentive from either camp.

Fair points. An unstated point, however, which is purely conjectural on my part (ie, a hunch), is that IMO Romo is one slider on a cold night away from TJ surgery himself. I know you can't plan per se for something like that. But maybe what I'm saying right now is that Wilson has more miles left in him, like a car that just had it's engine rebuilt and new tires put on. Romo is the car that you've been drag racing on the backstreets every weekend, but haven't really looked under the hood at it in three years. It makes some funny noises, and doesn't start easily sometimes, but still runs well despite it all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points. An unstated point, however, which is purely conjectural on my part (ie, a hunch), is that IMO Romo is one slider on a cold night away from TJ surgery himself. I know you can't plan per se for something like that. But maybe what I'm saying right now is that Wilson has more miles left in him, like a car that just had it's engine rebuilt and new tires put on. Romo is the car that you've been drag racing on the backstreets every weekend, but haven't really looked under the hood at it in three years. It makes some funny noises, and doesn't start easily sometimes, but still runs well despite it all.

I agree 100% on Romo. But I dont think many of us ever had him pegged as a long-term solution. Hembree, Hall, Law and Osich are all contending for the long-term solution. We can even throw Bochy and Casilla (both of them) in the mix as well.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% on Romo. But I dont think many of us ever had him pegged as a long-term solution. Hembree, Hall, Law and Osich are all contending for the long-term solution. We can even throw Bochy and Casilla (both of them) in the mix as well.

Agreed again. However, if we are going all in on 2014, and it looks like we are, someone needs to be ready now. If we are to contend, we have to have a dependable closer. The prospects you mentioned are good, but they are prospects, and I don't think we should count on them in September and beyond for the closer's role.

So the key question to focus on here is: Do we believe that Romo still has enough in the tank to be the closer on a contender in 2014? If not, do you have a proven alternative?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed again. However, if we are going all in on 2014, and it looks like we are, someone needs to be ready now. If we are to contend, we have to have a dependable closer. The prospects you mentioned are good, but they are prospects, and I don't think we should count on them in September and beyond for the closer's role.

So the key question to focus on here is: Do we believe that Romo still has enough in the tank to be the closer on a contender in 2014? If not, do you have a proven alternative?

Romo has given us nothing to doubt him. If he goes down, we are in trouble, but that same tag goes to about 5 or 6 guys.

However, Casilla and Hembree are ready, I think, to step into the roll if needed right now. Are they ideal? No. But in the event of a nose-dive or injury, they will do.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo has given us nothing to doubt him. If he goes down, we are in trouble, but that same tag goes to about 5 or 6 guys.

However, Casilla and Hembree are ready, I think, to step into the roll if needed right now. Are they ideal? No. But in the event of a nose-dive or injury, they will do.

Hembree no one can know for sure...
But Casilla I don't think would be a solution. He's tried and mainly struggled in that role before. Whatever 'it' is that makes a good closer, I don't think he has it. He's instead one of if not the best set up men in the game. That's pretty valuable too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hembree no one can know for sure...
But Casilla I don't think would be a solution. He's tried and mainly struggled in that role before. Whatever 'it' is that makes a good closer, I don't think he has it. He's instead one of if not the best set up men in the game. That's pretty valuable too.

Casilla was actually pretty good up until about the ASB. Then the wheels fell off. But I agree, I would not want to go into the season with him holding the job. Having him as a back-up plan, however, is fine. I think I would give the ball to Affeldt or Hembree first, though.

The point of this convo was Weez, though. The only reason to look at Weez would be as insurance for Romo, and I don't think that is a roll he wants, or a roll that we are looking to fill.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casilla was actually pretty good up until about the ASB. Then the wheels fell off. But I agree, I would not want to go into the season with him holding the job. Having him as a back-up plan, however, is fine. I think I would give the ball to Affeldt or Hembree first, though.

The point of this convo was Weez, though. The only reason to look at Weez would be as insurance for Romo, and I don't think that is a roll he wants, or a roll that we are looking to fill.

Agreed. Plus, I like my rolls filled with custard or jelly.