• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Walking Dead

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rewatched the start of season 5 and it turns out that Darryl did tell Maggie that Beth was alive and had been taken.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. Still a little over a month til we get more dead!!! This next episode is supposed to be the best one ever!!

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. Still a little over a month til we get more dead!!! This next episode is supposed to be the best one ever!!

I guess i'm in the minority but I liked the show more when it was about the walkers, now that it's about fighting other survivers i've lost some interest. I'm not sure how they could have continued to make it about the walkers and continued to keep it interesting though.

To me the last two challenges have fallen flat, Terminus was set up for a year and in a couple episodes it was done, yawn. The hospital was boring as well and it killed my Bethy. Funny thing is looking back now I always thought they held on to the governor too long and now to me that was our groups most interesting foe. Here's too hoping the next enemy is a little more interesting...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess i'm in the minority but I liked the show more when it was about the walkers, now that it's about fighting other survivers i've lost some interest. I'm not sure how they could have continued to make it about the walkers and continued to keep it interesting though.

To me the last two challenges have fallen flat, Terminus was set up for a year and in a couple episodes it was done, yawn. The hospital was boring as well and it killed my Bethy. Funny thing is looking back now I always thought they held on to the governor too long and now to me that was our groups most interesting foe. Here's too hoping the next enemy is a little more interesting...

The Gov will continue to be the "best villain ever" until, probably, the end of S6, when the true "best villain ever" will probably be introduced. Until then, you will likely not like the show. A lot lot inter-personal conflict and political struggles are coming.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Gov will continue to be the "best villain ever" until, probably, the end of S6, when the true "best villain ever" will probably be introduced. Until then, you will likely not like the show. A lot lot inter-personal conflict and political struggles are coming.

What's funny is although i'm not sure we can call him a villain I always liked Shane as a "bad guy".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's funny is although i'm not sure we can call him a villain I always liked Shane as a "bad guy".

Shane is definitely intended to be a "villain". He was Ricks foil. Since Rick is the protagonist of this story, anyone against him would be, by definition, the antagonist.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane is definitely intended to be a "villain". He was Ricks foil. Since Rick is the protagonist of this story, anyone against him would be, by definition, the antagonist.

Not sure I completely agree with that, Shane was never really a villain as they were on the same team. Shane just got tired of the way Rick was running things and thought he should be in charge. He got cold a few years sooner than Rick is all...

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the terminus thing. That went away real quickly, would have liked to see nut job Gareth a bit more. As for the hospital storyline I think that went perfect distance. It was more about Daryl's development and getting the group to try to save one of their own. It wasn't really a true formidable foe.

Based off what I know from the comics as Cals pointed out. The big time villain will be coming soon. More than likely not this season but next season forsure.

I dig the show whether its walkers or other groups(as you said just walkers just can't really happen anymore) but the one thing I dislike like is the constant splitting up of the last season(end of S4/S5 first half). I don't like going 2-3 episodes without characters in them.

I'd like the whole group together for a lot of time and if it is too large have them break into like 2-3 groups but tell each story in the SAME EPISODE.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I completely agree with that, Shane was never really a villain as they were on the same team. Shane just got tired of the way Rick was running things and thought he should be in charge. He got cold a few years sooner than Rick is all...

Shane was definitely a villain, but I agree that he is not a clear villain like Gov, Garreth, Joe, etc were. He was a different type of villain, though. He attempted to kill Rick. He had Rick in his cross-sights in S1. He drunkenly attempted to r*pe Laurie.

If he was not disposed of early, he would have progressed to be very similar to some of the villains we have met, and will meet, IMHO. The destination is not neccesarily the point. Rick, right now, is arguably worse than Shane ever was (I would love to have this convo, actually), but Shane got there FAST, so you have to extrapolate that he would have been a monster by this point.

Rick EARNED his monster-dom while Shane just took it right away.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ImageProxy.mvc

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane was definitely a villain, but I agree that he is not a clear villain like Gov, Garreth, Joe, etc were. He was a different type of villain, though. He attempted to kill Rick. He had Rick in his cross-sights in S1. He drunkenly attempted to r*pe Laurie.

If he was not disposed of early, he would have progressed to be very similar to some of the villains we have met, and will meet, IMHO. The destination is not neccesarily the point. Rick, right now, is arguably worse than Shane ever was (I would love to have this convo, actually), but Shane got there FAST, so you have to extrapolate that he would have been a monster by this point.

Rick EARNED his monster-dom while Shane just took it right away.

Agree that Shane was definitely a villain at least towards the end, and also agree that he was a different type of villain which is why I found his character really interesting. I like that he started out as a hero and evolved into a villain. He saved Rick's life, and helped Lori, Carl, and others survive the initial outbreak. But I think the initial signs of him becoming a villain was when he was so quickly able to put emotions aside (at least other people's emotions) and make tough decisions and was willing to leave the members of the group stranded in Atlanta, something we just saw that Rick still wouldn't do, even with the added threat of additional survivors. Not saying it was completely villainous to do it as there was some tough logic to it, but just the way he was willing to make the decision for everyone so easily and how he explained it to Amy that they weren't going to save her sister. Then on 1 hand he's a hero for protecting Carol and Sophia from the abusive husband/father, but many seemed to think he went too far with it. Then there was the classic Otis scene. He risks his life to save Carl but then in the process of doing so tactfully betrays another human being and leaves him to be eaten alive by zombies. Still a pretty gray area but that's when he really started to go downhill. Meanwhile Daryl was going in the opposite direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really felt that Shane beat Ed out of altruism. I thought he beat him because he was pissed, and Ed opened the door to allow himself to be a punching bag. Sure he deserved a beat down, but that was immaterial.

Otis didn't need to be sacrificed. They had a good lead on the walkers and would have likely made it either way. Shane took him out simply to increase his own chances of getting out.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really felt that Shane beat Ed out of altruism. I thought he beat him because he was pissed, and Ed opened the door to allow himself to be a punching bag. Sure he deserved a beat down, but that was immaterial.

Otis didn't need to be sacrificed. They had a good lead on the walkers and would have likely made it either way. Shane took him out simply to increase his own chances of getting out.

I always felt that Shane took Otis out as payment for shooting the brat. To his way of thinking, it was "justice is served".

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the Ed thing was a bit of both. He was definitely pissed over the whole Lori thing and you could detect some tension between Ed and Shane before that so he absolutely opened himself up for a beat down. but I think to some extent he was coming to their defense. I forget the exact quote but he did threaten to do it again if he ever put his hands on Carol or Sophia again. Most have seen the outtake from the Season 2 Premiere where Daryl is being a dick to Sophia and Shane is being kind to her. I really wish they left that part in. That would have made the season 2 developments even more ironic.

It appeared to me that Otis and Shane had a big enough lead even with Shane's injury. Not 100% sure if that's how we were supposed to interpret the situation or not but that's how I did, so I agree. An argument could be made that he did it to save Carl as well as his own though. But we can't completely Shane did risk his life further to fight with Otis for the medical supplies. But did he truly do it for Carl or did he have a selfish motive (Lori)? Again I think it was a bit of both. Either way, it's still 1 of my favorite moments of the show.

That's why I really like his character. Until the end when he completely lost it, some arguments could be made both ways about his intentions. He seemed to have more depth than most characters, and his character basically foreshadowed so many other characters, including some we already met and some we had yet to meet.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always felt that Shane took Otis out as payment for shooting the brat. To his way of thinking, it was "justice is served".

Yeah I think so too. It wasn't like he killed him to punish him. But I think he figured that if 1 of the 3 of them had to die it should be Otis since the whole situation started with him. But did 1 of the 3 absolutely have to die? Shane didn't want to find out.

Reaper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walking Dead has been interesting since the start, different from the comics but that makes it more exciting.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 week away!!!

Hockey is getting pretty aroused!!