• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The SEC Bias in Polls is Ridiculous

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason the SEC teams don't drop so much is because of who they are losing against. Do you guys even realize that a 25th ranked team often has 4 and 5 losses on a season? How many losses did Oklahoma have last year? Where did they end up? And you are going to bitch because of another conferences losses and rankings?

When an SEC team is losing 6 or more games and is ranked in the top25, I'll start to think maybe there is something to it. Apparently the coaches outside the SEC think you guys are nuts as well.

I don't think the coaches should be voting since most of them do not watch the games. They pay attention to the teams that they play, the rest of the games they watch as much as sportscenter tells them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the Georgia SoS ranked #20.

Michigan St, #64

Where did I say Mich State had a good SoS? In fact, I am pretty sure that I said that the B1G gave MSU the easiest schedule they possibly could. Yep, I did. So what exactly are you trying to point out to me?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say Mich State had a good SoS? In fact, I am pretty sure that I said that the B1G gave MSU the easiest schedule they possibly could. Yep, I did. So what exactly are you trying to point out to me?

Well if you are going to be calling teams out for having "easy schedules", it seems to me you should be playing tougher ones. :noidea:

It's always easy to dump on teams and point out the weaker/negative sides of things, but the picture is often different when put in context and in comparison to others.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you are going to be calling teams out for having "easy schedules", it seems to me you should be playing tougher ones. :noidea:

It's always easy to dump on teams and point out the weaker/negative sides of things, but the picture is often different when put in context and in comparison to others.

I was not dumping on their schedules. I was responding to SEC Official who was stating that every SEC who has won the national title had a "Brutal schedule". Georgia the past few years has been fortunate in their conference schedule. If you disagree with me, please tell me. Alabama this year has the benefit of playing the widely considered bottom three in the East division. But of course rather than debate this fact, you are deflecting to Michigan State's schedule, who I pointed out before you did, has an easy schedule. Of course we have tough schedules in the upcoming seasons but that does not make the 2013 any tougher.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason the SEC teams don't drop so much is because of who they are losing against. Do you guys even realize that a 25th ranked team often has 4 and 5 losses on a season? How many losses did Oklahoma have last year? Where did they end up? And you are going to bitch because of another conferences losses and rankings?

When an SEC team is losing 6 or more games and is ranked in the top25, I'll start to think maybe there is something to it. Apparently the coaches outside the SEC think you guys are nuts as well.
Not bitching at all dude just giving my opinion. And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that a 5 loss team has never finished in the top 25.
Good luck and roll tide because lord knows if Bama does lose they won't fall far.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bitching at all dude just giving my opinion. And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that a 5 loss team has never finished in the top 25.
Good luck and roll tide because lord knows if Bama does lose they won't fall far.

If Alabama loses to Colorado State, they would fall out of the top 10 altogether... if they had lost to Texas A&M, not so much. You may say 'a loss is a loss' all you want, but it matters who you lose to.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alabama loses to Colorado State, they would fall out of the top 10 altogether... if they had lost to Texas A&M, not so much. You may say 'a loss is a loss' all you want, but it matters who you lose to.
If Bama had lost to A&M they would've fallen to no lower than 4th IMO. Now had Oregon been ranked #1 and lost to A&M they would be in around 6 or 7. That's the SEC bias. They don't fall as far as other teams when they lose.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bama had lost to A&M they would've fallen to no lower than 4th IMO. Now had Oregon been ranked #1 and lost to A&M they would be in around 6 or 7. That's the SEC bias. They don't fall as far as other teams when they lose.

My opinion is that if Bama had lost, they would have dropped to 6th or 7th, even lower if they lost by a large margin. I do think Bama's recent history would keep them ranked higher than other schools, but not because they are in the SEC, but because they are Bama. It's kind like the Notre Dame, Michigan bias... they seem to get ranked higher than other teams with better records for the same thing.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ... And in 2011 LSU also beat the dog mess out of ... Oregon No. 3 (40-27) and West Virginia No. 16 (47-21)... In our OOC games.

Sorry but a 13 point win against any opponent isn't " beat the dog mess out " of them...:laugh3:

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going to go out on a limb here and say that your opinion becomes worthless when you make a claim that is so easily disproved:

2012 #24 Michigan 8-5...A quick review shows that there is almost always a 5 loss team in the final top 25(all but 2 seasons this decade)and some like 2002 had as many as 4...but thanks for playing.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not dumping on their schedules. I was responding to SEC Official who was stating that every SEC who has won the national title had a "Brutal schedule". Georgia the past few years has been fortunate in their conference schedule. If you disagree with me, please tell me. Alabama this year has the benefit of playing the widely considered bottom three in the East division. But of course rather than debate this fact, you are deflecting to Michigan State's schedule, who I pointed out before you did, has an easy schedule. Of course we have tough schedules in the upcoming seasons but that does not make the 2013 any tougher.

"Brutal" is subjective really. I mean you have to look at it in comparison to other teams.

Just because Alabama isn't playing the top SEC East teams doesn't mean it's not playing good teams, or even more good teams. The main reason I view Alabama's schedule as week this year isn't so much the number of top quality teams they play, it's the number of very low quality teams we play. Colorado St, Georgia St, Chattanooga.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, rankings are kind of my thing and you are wrong. I do my own computer rankings and I use stats 100% with no human input, and I still come up with results that reflect a SEC with higher rankings than the other conferences.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to accept really. Doubtful it will always be this way, just the way it is lately.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There seems to be an sec bias so last year usc is ranked 2 after Alabama jumping them. USC Would go on to lose to #21 Stanford by 7 points. They would proceed to drop from 2nd to 13th! Now fast forward a little and Alabama would lose to Texas a&m by a similar score. Not totally sure but a&m was 16th or so. Yet I'm pretty sure they remained in top 5. Maybe 6th at worst. Yeah I get it usc lost 5 games. But come on. It was set up by voters for Alabama to get back into title game

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be an sec bias so last year usc is ranked 2 after Alabama jumping them. USC Would go on to lose to #21 Stanford by 7 points. They would proceed to drop from 2nd to 13th! Now fast forward a little and Alabama would lose to Texas a&m by a similar score. Not totally sure but a&m was 16th or so. Yet I'm pretty sure they remained in top 5. Maybe 6th at worst. Yeah I get it usc lost 5 games. But come on. It was set up by voters for Alabama to get back into title game

nevermind, talking about last year. :doh:

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nevermind, talking about last year. :doh:

did a little research and Alabama dropped to just 4th after losing to #15 A&M. after beating powerhouse western Carolina the following week they moved up 2 spots to 2nd....SMH. had Alabama dropped to 10-12 range they wouldn't have been able to get back in championship game even with win vs georgia... sec bias lives

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just the ESPN, not about the best team but the one they make the most money on.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did a little research and Alabama dropped to just 4th after losing to #15 A&M. after beating powerhouse western Carolina the following week they moved up 2 spots to 2nd....SMH. had Alabama dropped to 10-12 range they wouldn't have been able to get back in championship game even with win vs georgia... sec bias lives

Please feel free to do some research for us and tell us the last team to drop 9 spots after one loss, especially a top 5 team in the country. I'm sure you will find one, go back as much as 25 years and do so today.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HizzleRocker:

obvious+combined.jpg