• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Price For Cornerbacks

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just musing about timing and the going price for #1 cornerbacks in the NFL. Pats fans have been openly wondering when BB will try to extend the soon-to-expire contracts of Donte Hightower, Jamie Collins and Malcolm Butler. With the recent signing of Josh Norman by the Redskins, the cost for retaining Butler may have taken a sharp move upward. I guess timing is everything.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just musing about timing and the going price for #1 cornerbacks in the NFL. Pats fans have been openly wondering when BB will try to extend the soon-to-expire contracts of Donte Hightower, Jamie Collins and Malcolm Butler. With the recent signing of Josh Norman by the Redskins, the cost for retaining Butler may have taken a sharp move upward. I guess timing is everything.
Malcom Butler just had a very good year. He played a back up role his rookie year - with a great SB effort.
That said, it would be highly unusual for an undrafted FA to get a huge contract based on his one good year.
If Butler is signed soon, he'll be signed at a fairly team-friendly deal. If he has a pro-bowl year, he'll get a whole lot more. He can wait it out and cash in but if he were to sustain an injury this year, he'd find himself needing a contract after coming off an injury. A gamble either way. Safest thing for both sides is agree to a fair extension.....

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been thinking about next year. I have no idea what are cap situation is for next year. I just have a feeling we are screwed. We can't afford all these guys. And there is more than just those three. Bennett is just a one year rental.

Teams like Washington fuck things up for every other team. As a player it's all smiles. But shitty teams over paying players who aren't worth it, is stupid. Norman is getting $51M in the first three years. WTF!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about next year. I have no idea what are cap situation is for next year. I just have a feeling we are screwed. We can't afford all these guys. And there is more than just those three. Bennett is just a one year rental.

Teams like Washington fuck things up for every other team. As a player it's all smiles. But shitty teams over paying players who aren't worth it, is stupid. Norman is getting $51M in the first three years. WTF!

Well Cap Wise the Patriots for next season are actually looking pretty good. They have about $73 million before carry over from this year. That is the 3rd most cap space of any team. Now obviously that money can get eaten into pretty quick from those 3 contracts. At the same time also have to think of things in the sense that the Patriots do have 30 players signed already for next season. You throw in this year's draft and next years and that adds what 14 or so players. So that leaves possibly 10-15 positions actually available that would go towards that $73 million (which actually after the 2 drafts would be closer to $60 million). So plenty of room next year but I would say it would probably help with prices only going up to lock at least one of those guys up long-term. Butler plays for the most expensive position so I would say push to get him signed long-term.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price of CB's has become outrageous. Yes, it's great to have "talented" CB's, but its really all about the pass rush. The less time the QB has to throw, the better the CB's look/play....

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Cap Wise the Patriots for next season are actually looking pretty good. They have about $73 million before carry over from this year. That is the 3rd most cap space of any team. Now obviously that money can get eaten into pretty quick from those 3 contracts. At the same time also have to think of things in the sense that the Patriots do have 30 players signed already for next season. You throw in this year's draft and next years and that adds what 14 or so players. So that leaves possibly 10-15 positions actually available that would go towards that $73 million (which actually after the 2 drafts would be closer to $60 million). So plenty of room next year but I would say it would probably help with prices only going up to lock at least one of those guys up long-term. Butler plays for the most expensive position so I would say push to get him signed long-term.

Wow. I figured $10-15M. Does your number include the projected cap jump of $10M for next year? Thanks for the response.

Any idea what you guys are doing for a QB? Hoping for the Kap traded to go through? Draft? Sanchez? I think he can be good for you guys. He was the QB for two straight AFCCG's. And you guys have better offensive weapons than the Jets did.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I figured $10-15M. Does your number include the projected cap jump of $10M for next year? Thanks for the response.

Any idea what you guys are doing for a QB? Hoping for the Kap traded to go through? Draft? Sanchez? I think he can be good for you guys. He was the QB for two straight AFCCG's. And you guys have better offensive weapons than the Jets did.

That Cap Number I gave was based on the Cap going up to around $166 million or just a hair over $10 million from what it is this year. So obviously that is not a precise number but a decent guess.

As for QB I have no clue what the Broncos are going to do. My opinion on what they should do would honestly be just stop with the Kaepernick idea. I like Kaepernick and I do think with a new start he could do decent but there are just things about his game that I just don't see improving so I view him as a band aid when I would rather see if we can go a different direction.

Sanchez I honestly have been impressed with his work ethic since the Broncos traded for him. He spent pretty much the 1st month living at Bronco headquarters studying the playbook. He knows this might be his last opportunity and he is taking advantage of it. He also then flew every WR and TE on the roster out to California to train with them so again just showing he is at least giving this a great effort. I do think with the Broncos he could at least win some games. I don't view us as Super Bowl contenders this next year but I do think with Sanchez they can limit his mistakes and not put the entire game on his shoulders.

Then to me I would look to the draft to see if I can find the future. My favorite right now as we have no shot at the top-2 guys obviously is that of Christian Hackenberg. I think he has the highest upside of the rest of the QB's. I know he had a terrible last couple of years but I still love what he brings to the table. If you watch his full games he honestly reminds me of Peyton with all of his pre-snap reads. He is probably the most advanced of any of the QB's in that area of reading a defense and trying to get the team in the best play. He needs quite a bit of work on his footwork but to me that is correctable. Give him a year to work with the coaching staff and get his confidence back up and I think he could really surprise people.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE FA on def 2017: HT, Collins, Butler, Ryan, Nink, Branch, T-Knight, Sherad, Harmon, Long.

10...10 fucking guys. Not sure what we are waiting on, but any of the top 4 listed get to FA, see ya!!!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll be between $63M and $66M under the cap next February.

People will be resigned...............calm down.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll be between $63M and $66M under the cap next February.

People will be resigned...............calm down.

The only thing I will say is in today's NFL it is amazing how quickly that money can disappear. I mean you are looking at $14-15 million a year next year for Butler if he has another good season. Probably another $12-14 million for Collins. Hightower is probably in the $7-8 million range. So 3 guys in and you are already out of over half your cap space.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I will say is in today's NFL it is amazing how quickly that money can disappear. I mean you are looking at $14-15 million a year next year for Butler if he has another good season. Probably another $12-14 million for Collins. Hightower is probably in the $7-8 million range. So 3 guys in and you are already out of over half your cap space.
I see you do a 180 on cap concerns when you visit the Pats board. Apparently it's not near as sunny as it is in NE:doh:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you do a 180 on cap concerns when you visit the Pats board. Apparently it's not near as sunny as it is in NE:doh:

This is where I have changed my tune a bit. I didn't think teams would go as crazy as they did. Not like the Cap went up by crazy money yet teams spent like it doubled. So yes I have done a bit of a 180. How could I not when I watched Osweiler, Malik, and Trevathan all walk out the door when I was claiming at one point that if the Broncos really wanted they could sign them all. Then of course they go get 2 of the largest contracts of the entire off season.

Now believe me I see with the Broncos as they have the most Cap Space of any team heading into next season knowing that probably 1/4th of it goes to just one player in Von Miller. Like I said it can get eaten into pretty quickly.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I have changed my tune a bit. I didn't think teams would go as crazy as they did. Not like the Cap went up by crazy money yet teams spent like it doubled. So yes I have done a bit of a 180. How could I not when I watched Osweiler, Malik, and Trevathan all walk out the door when I was claiming at one point that if the Broncos really wanted they could sign them all. Then of course they go get 2 of the largest contracts of the entire off season.

Now believe me I see with the Broncos as they have the most Cap Space of any team heading into next season knowing that probably 1/4th of it goes to just one player in Von Miller. Like I said it can get eaten into pretty quickly.
Teams over spending has been going on for years. The more relevant your team is the more likely you're unable to retain those players. Even relevant teams mid level players get paid after winning a SB or having a good run.
What seperates NE from many teams is they acquire lots of mid level players that can do many things well. Nothing great. Pair them with one or two stars. That way when they do need to let players walk because they won't overpay there is not a huge hole. They also do the unpopular thing by letting stars go a year earlier then fans like.
Pats are in great shape going into next year. I'm excited 2 of 3 contracts likely get done and the other gets franchised. Leaving plenty of cap for other mid level FAs if BB wants them?